Author Topic: Fire Wolford  (Read 11098 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Fire Wolford
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:43:12 PM »
We all know Wolford cannot coach and was a big f****** mistake by Strollo but his recruiting is obviously not as good as we have thought.   If we recruited well our defense would not be this pathetic. Wolford is paid well over $200k  and all we get is 13-17 in his 3 years here.   Strollo needs to just own up to this mistake and fire his a** now.   Make a statement and don't put up with this crap.   

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Wolford
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:55:16 AM »
I hope you can contribute money to his buying out the contract.  If not, then let the administration and those that can afford it  say what to do.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »
Be careful what you wish for.

Heacock was fired to the utter delight of many on here.  In fact, people are STILL bashing him if you read all of the threads.  Heacock coached here without the infusion of  money that magically appeared when Wolf was hired.  What could H have done if he could have paid his assts more than $40K?

I like Wolf but he should get some mentoring from an older hand in the off-season.  Yes, he will still be here.

As for the recruiting.  Obviously we are over-looking football players for athletes.  That has to stop.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »

Heacock was fired to the utter delight of many on here.  In fact, people are STILL bashing him if you read all of the threads.  Heacock coached here without the infusion of  money that magically appeared when Wolf was hired.  What could H have done if he could have paid his assts more than $40K?

I like Wolf but he should get some mentoring from an older hand in the off-season.  Yes, he will still be here.

As for the recruiting.  Obviously we are over-looking football players for athletes.  That has to stop.

always the sage - good post
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »
So we fire Wolford than what with our history we hire another bad coach.  The real cause of our problems, not only in football but in all sports, is that the person doing the hiring does not hire the right people.  Since Strollo has been in charge can anyone name one successful hire for a coaching position?  Our football program is down, our basketball programs both men & women are a joke.  Remember when the women went to the NCAA tournament pror to Strollo's hires. 

Until someone in charge decides that YSU wants winnng sports programs and gets rid of Strollo and hires someone who wants to win and knows how to select coaches nothing will change.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »
Wolford will get one more year

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 05:25:38 PM »
My gosh, everyone expects Ron Strollo to be a genius.
Think about this.  His hire came from $$$'S to spend
on the position.  Not putting him down by saying that,
just asking all the nay sayers...did you expect his mind
to be the greatest of all decision makers.  Ron was from the
area, cared about the area, contributed to the area.  What
are you telling me....he deliberately put us in the the position
we are in?  His credentials were A+ for what the university
could spend.  Tressel was an exception that no one will ever
get OVER.  HE, TRESSEL, was ONE in a lifetime.  Get over
it fans, it ain't gonna happen.  Jon Heacock gave his all, okay
to those of you who say he was NO head coach, but look at
him now.  If YSU had spent $$$ for his assistance, PERHAPS
we would be THERE, with our 5th flag added in the end zone.
But no, someone decided (and I'll never know why) MOVE ON.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »

Agreed.

Wolf does a lot of good things. But some folks are good certain things and not so good at others. No shame in that. We are all good at some things and suck at others. Some guys are head coaches, and some are (should be assistants). Again, nothing wrong with that.

Head coaches must communicate well and be influential.

Anyone ever hear Wolf speak? :'( :o :-[

Assistant coaches should be "fire and brimstone".

Yelling loses it's effectiveness, when done all the time. Kids shut you out/down. Only well placed yelling is meaningful. I can remember my dads "stare" when I was a kid. He used it infrequently, and he didn't have to say a word. It was effective because he used it only when absolutely necessary.

In between those stares, my dad "taught" and "coached" me. It worked, I'm not in JAIL!!! LOL

Nuff said. :-\
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:10:16 PM by Pizza »

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
PIZZA....

I so hope your Dad is still around to read your comments.

GO PENGUINS

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »
PIZZA....

I so hope your Dad is still around to read your comments.

GO PENGUINS

I'll take that as a compliment.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »
Mark Mangino needs a job.... And he's from this area. Thoughts?

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 06:54:30 PM »
Mark Mangino needs a job.... And he's from this area. Thoughts?

Met him years ago...Bob Stoops guy....I was impressed. Blue collar. Might just be perfect here with Wolf and the current staff.

Had his "big issue" day. Folks who pursue greatness, Type "A"'s ocassionally get caught in these. (TYPE "A"s raise your hand)

I hold no grudges to him. Nor should any of you. I have made thousands of mistakes in my life. Made 10 today!

I'm imperfect. (the key is to try to not make the same mistakes twice).

But Mangino here at YSU should be a new thread.

I'd be interested in the comments. He is later in his life. Could be a "LIFER". Staying here the rest of his career. A Larry Keres (Mount Union) type.

Stability in coaching is often overlooked.

I'm liking a Wolf  (energy) / Mangino (maturity) thing. Great post!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:22:32 PM by Pizza »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
Mangino and Wolford are friends.  When Mangino and Kansas parted ways (the year after the orange bowl game), I saw Mangino at a YSU game and congratulated him for his success.  He did a lot with a lot less talent there.  I asked him what he was doing at the game and he told me that he was giving Wolford a hand.  I haven't seen him since.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
My opinion for what it's worth:  We have a coaching issue on on defense and special teams.  we have to develop the 2nd tier OL and we need the same at WR.  We have a talent issue on the DL, not sure about the secondary because if they played assignment sound then I would be able to evaluate it.  If not being able to make your reads fast enough is chalked up to a talent issue, then I would say that we lack talent there too.  Problem is that we have speed back there and if they played as they are supposedly coached then you would not see the issues that are so glaring in the secondary.  Having the safety let people get behing him on every play in simply baffling.  The LB's are undersized, but fast and they could be used differently. 

We don't use enough of the RB's. We have a ton of talent there and if I were the HC and didn't feel that I could get a lot of playing time to all of my talented RB's then I would put them somewhere else and coach them up.  Specifically, I would move them to defense because we need so much help there. 

If we keep losing Wolford will not be able to recruit as well, just a simple fact in this game, and we lack a real difference maker on both sides of the ball.  We need a few disruptive players that must be accounted for at all times on defense and offense we need a scheme that will play to the teams strengths, not a system that is not flexible.  This is something that Tressel was able to master and one of the reasons why we were competitive in down years (which weren't many).   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:52:01 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
Mangino and Wolford are friends.  When Mangino and Kansas parted ways (the year after the orange bowl game), I saw Mangino at a YSU game and congratulated him for his success.  He did a lot with a lot less talent there.  I asked him what he was doing at the game and he told me that he was giving Wolford a hand.  I haven't seen him since.

"I haven't seen him since"......not GOOD.

Wonder WHY ??