Author Topic: Horizon League Poll  (Read 4944 times)

Offline PantherU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Horizon League Poll
« on: October 27, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
Friends of the Horizon League, I come to you with a request.

Recently, I began putting together a panel of prolific posters, bloggers and even news media personnel around the Horizon League to vote in a weekly poll for the conference.  I've gotten very far; I have representatives from five schools in the conference, six if I include myself at Milwaukee.

We will publish a weekly poll that will gauge the reputation of programs around the conference on a week-to-week basis.

The reason I am posting here is because YSU does not have a voting member on the panel. Things will move ahead whether or not we have someone from YSU, but I would much rather have every school accounted for.

If you're interested or know someone who is, have them e-mail jimmy@pantheru.com and we'll discuss it.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »
Friend, you have an impeccably bad sense of timing on this hate-filled evening >:(  To help you out, there are only two posters on this site that have extensive knowledge of the Horizon League and a love for basketball: YSUINDY and ITALIAN PENGUIN.  I suggest that you issue a personal invitation to them through email from this site.  Either would be a great asset to your endeavor.  Frankly, I doubt that there is anybody else here who knows or cares enough about the Horizon League or basketball in general to be of any value to you.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:32:44 PM »
Wick ...it is not that we do not care ...we certainly do. Two things to remember:

1. Last year was the first solid team we have seen in quite a while. My gosh they are fun to watch. this year I think there is the depth for that to last the entire game.
2. We are a football school. The season ends at Thanksgiving and we are expecting a 5-week post-season. Every other sport takes a back seat to that. Basketball is normally begins at Christmas for us.

When I post a news story about football on the site, it has about 125-200 views. Any other sport is a couple dozen views. Look at the stories on this board ...it is the same thing. We love our football, and we are proud. Basketball will be big again this year because I think this could be Slocum's best team ...and he has been exceptional in his coaching. 2) Mostly because the football team is terrible.

Offline PantherU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
I'll try to contact them, thanks.

As for YSU basketball, this is the first time in a long time I can remember thinking that they had a shot at a title. If Slocum brought some depth, he's got three all-league players and really could win.

As for football, smile - it exists. You know how depressing it is to talk to fellow Milwaukee grads in September? The conversation centers around lack of football all the time.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »
Funny because we always complained about life after football season was over, as we had no stellar basketball team. If I am not mistaken, UWM had a football team. However, back in 1974, the NCAA required that all sports play at the same level. As many basketball schools were; UWM was DI in basketball, and DIII in football. I am surprised that your administration did not chose to go the non-scholarship route (ala Valpo and Butler).

I am sure you realize that football is an expensive and "tricky" sport. At YSU, we fund every other sport through football. We are one of only a very few DI schools that do not have to draw from a our general fund for athletics. We sell 15k to 20k seats a game, have 26 corporate loges, and make good ad revenue. This is a football town, and we can get far more donors for football than basketball. However, we were a basketball school up until the 70's. Since joining the Horizon, we have been able to share in revenues that we did not have since we left the OVC. For quite some time, YSU was a basketball independent ...or in the Mid-Con. Either way we saw no conference revenue.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
IP, you are well qualified to represent YSU
with the knowledge of our team.  Go for
it, please.  You could represent us well.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »
IP, you are well qualified to represent YSU
with the knowledge of our team.  Go for
it, please.  You could represent us well.

You can't go wrong with either one of those guys  Italian Penguin or YSUIndy.

I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »
ysuindy,

Did you contact this cat?