Author Topic: Guins @ Jacks  (Read 4885 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Guins @ Jacks
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Well folks ...I cannot believe it is Friday & no picks for tomorrow:

THE SERIES: Saturday's game marks the 14th meeting between South Dakota State and Youngstown State, a series that dates back to the 1942 season. The Jackrabbits hold an 8-5 series advantage after winning all four match-ups since joining the Missouri Valley Football Conference in 2008.

SDSU Sophmore sensation Zach Zenner leads the Football Championship Subdivision in rushing with 1,360 yards through seven games - an average of of 194.3 yards per game. Second in total rushing yards among all players in NCAA Football this season, Zenner is only the third back in Missouri Valley Football Conference history to reach the 1,000-yard mark in five games.

Despite being in a tie for first-place in the conference, the Jacks are not ranked. Last week, the Jack lost in in a one-sided affair at UNI ...24-6. However, they return home and have also seen the return of passing game ...which could spell "trouble" even if the Guins manage to contain the run game.

Personally, I think YSU wins in convincing fashion with our defensive lateral speed taking control of the powerful Jacks offense. We have to get used to the grass though ...which will cause issues with our offense. YSU: 34-14

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Guins @ Jacks
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »
I am told that there will be no local TV coverage in Billings ...so ESPN will be picking up our TV coverage.

I forgot ...word of the week is Defer
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:49:01 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »
The conference is very hard to pick this year. And no one has been more Jeckyl-Hyde than us.

Jeckyl - If 1st half YSU plays the whole game 49-20
Hyde - If 2nd half YSU plays the game we lose 49-7

Reality - who can tell? I'd like to think we can win so I'll go 31-28

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
NDSU 13 - YSU 2  ::)

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »
Our run defense has been good to this point, so I believe we match up well with their strength.  No way our offense can go scoreless in the second half again.  Guins 28-24.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »
We should match up very well with this team.  Of course, that was also the case last week until we gave the game away with silly errors.  Most of Zenner's yards come between the tackles.  We just need to contain that and don't allow any big plays.  Until last week against UNI, he was specializing in long touchdown runs.  The biggest mystery is their quarterback.  He torched us last year but has been amazingly ineffective this season.  I'm sure he is delighted to see us again.

As several had noted in the other thread, SDSU has hard-nosed, tough defensive players, but they are not really very athletic.  They will have a very hard time containing Stubbs, Shaw, and Cook IF we can get them the ball in space.  They are also very dangerous on kickoff returns, so....are you listening coach....pooch or squib everything.

This is the biggest game of Eric Wolford's life.  His entire career as a head coach rests upon the outcome.  Let us see if he can respond to this type of pressure.  Personally, I doubt that he can, but I will be delighted if I am wrong.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
SDS opened as a 3 point favorite and has been bet all the way up to a 6 point favorite.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 03:52:24 PM »
We should match up very well with this team.  Of course, that was also the case last week until we gave the game away with silly errors.  Most of Zenner's yards come between the tackles.  We just need to contain that and don't allow any big plays.  Until last week against UNI, he was specializing in long touchdown runs.  The biggest mystery is their quarterback.  He torched us last year but has been amazingly ineffective this season.  I'm sure he is delighted to see us again.

As several had noted in the other thread, SDSU has hard-nosed, tough defensive players, but they are not really very athletic.  They will have a very hard time containing Stubbs, Shaw, and Cook IF we can get them the ball in space.  They are also very dangerous on kickoff returns, so....are you listening coach....pooch or squib everything.

This is the biggest game of Eric Wolford's life.  His entire career as a head coach rests upon the outcome.  Let us see if he can respond to this type of pressure.  Personally, I doubt that he can, but I will be delighted if I am wrong.

8) I've always admired this pix of the SDSU Oline pan caking the Nebraska tough defense LOL!!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:53:17 PM by ysubigred »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
28-21 YSU in OT