Author Topic: YSU Football Fans  (Read 12447 times)

Offline Dompam

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU Football Fans
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
I've been coming to YSU football games for 30 years and our fans need help ! Most people just sit on their ARSE and watch the game as if they are watching a movie with a meaningless outcome. The fact that the head coach turns to us and waves his arms to stand up and cheer and most of the fans just sit there like studda bubbas is a disgrace. A couple of suggestions to those of you that need help, here is a guideline 1) leave your ego at the door if your too good to cheer for our boys your not a fan 2) In the Ice Castle nobody cares about your local high school team, the Cleveland Browns or the Pittsburgh Steelers WEAR RED or black or white YSU clothing - if you don't have any YSU clothes just wear RED. When the other team has third down you will here some gong sounds that is a signal to stand up and yell as loud as you can to throw off the opposing team - get off your ARSE and stand up and yell. Coach Wolford and the team shouldn't be begging us all to stand up and make some noise. Good luck at the next game and go guns !
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:24:32 PM by Dompam »

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Football Fans
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 11:35:02 PM »
They need to put the students back on the old side.

When I go to a YSU game I do wear a YSU shirt(I have 6 of them, 5 are wearable), and I scream andcheer the  entire game. Ask my hubby about the '99 Florida A&M game(we were just dating then). He became my punching bag.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »
Standees need our own private section.   
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
Guys. I will have to say this again ...it was plenty loud. I was on both sides. Students were great, which is why the team went over to thanks them. There were only two  times that I stopped cheering ...the two 3rd & longs that we gave-up. Invest in those "thunder sticks". Wait until the next game, when the NDSU fans use them indoors ...it is loud.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »
Students need to be moved on the home side right by the tunnel where the team comes out... I was standing the whole game screaming. If people don't like it, they can gladly stay home and watch it on tv.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
I watched the game on espn3 and the 12th man was a big influence in the game! I could hear large roars coming from the stands especially during 3rd down situations in the 1st and 2nd quarters.

I applaud all of you that braved the inclement weather and the 45 minute delay. then cheered loudly. It sounded like the YSU of the 1990's.

I do know from personnel experience that cheering and screaming will strain your vocal cords and leave you mute, but you can still stand up and give high fives!

Again, a super job by the 12th man, you truly helped the team win against a strong UNI team. 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »
I believe the fans deserve some credit.  No way that many people would have stuck around for the game during the previous three seasons.  That's probably the largest "actual" crowd I've seen since 06 or 07, and the loudest it's been since the 4th quarter of the JMU playoff game.  A co-worker was listening to the game on the radio, and he said the crowd sounded really loud during UNI's last drive.  Now that we've gotten past UNI, I believe the "fair weather" fans will begin to get more excited, and we'll have a vocal crowd on the 20th.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
I believe the fans deserve some credit.  No way that many people would have stuck around for the game during the previous three seasons.  That's probably the largest "actual" crowd I've seen since 06 or 07, and the loudest it's been since the 4th quarter of the JMU playoff game.  A co-worker was listening to the game on the radio, and he said the crowd sounded really loud during UNI's last drive.  Now that we've gotten past UNI, I believe the "fair weather" fans will begin to get more excited, and we'll have a vocal crowd on the 20th.

Seems like they had a lot of false starts because of noise. Too bad the weather wasn't 70 and sunny all day then a nice stary night the crowd would have been huge.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »
DomPam I couldn't agree more. Another issue is see is the parents of the high school bands who come until halftime and leave after the bands are done. There must have been 40-50 people who got up and left. I also agree in the fact that the coach should never have to try to get the crowd going. I to witnessed way to many people sitting and watching never once cheering or making any kind of noise. I think those people would be better off staying at home and watching te replay. Other than that our offense is unstoppable and the defense has some holes to fill.

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Guins4Ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »
Invest in those "thunder sticks

I agree The Thunder Sticks would be great but I believe the are illegal in the Valley Conference. I remember a few years back there was a big stink over something that UNI used at games being "artificial noise makers" and they were banned. That same year I believe they stopped selling the big red horns at the games too.
As for not wearing Pittsburgh or Steelers stuff I couldn’t agree more. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing people in OSU gear in the tailgate lots or stadium.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
Some people want to stand and cheer some do not, no big deal. At least they are at the game.

I am not offended when Wolf tries to get the crowd going.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:20:34 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
Some people want to stand and cheer some do not, no big deal. At least they are at the game.

I am no offended when Wolf tries to get the crowd going.

I love Wolf's tenacity and passion.   I understand that some fans may sit.  However, they should not be offended when I stand, nor should they ask an officer to come ask someone to "quiet down" or "sit down" or any other non-sense.

Z
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:01:03 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »
Standees need our own private section.
Are you still allowed to stand behind the north end zone?

Offline ysu2000

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »

I am no offended when Wolf tries to get the crowd going.

I love Wolf's tenacity and passion.   I understand that some fans may sit.  However, they should not be offended when I stand, nor should they ask an officer to come ask someone to "quiet down" or "sit down" or any other non-sense.

Z

Exactly right Z.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »
Folks have to accept the fact that there are not many diehard YSU fans.  The following is from Joe Scalzo's Penguin Insider blog.  These are people in the tailgate lot hours before the game.  You would think they would know a little more about the team.

The Vindicator's Blitzmobile spent several hours tailgating before Saturday's win over Northern Iowa and I joined Vindicator sports editor Ed Puskas for a pregame trivia contest.
The rules were simple — correctly answer a question and you got a choice between two general admission tickets or a Blitz T-shirt.
Since these were (presumably) hard-core fans, I came armed with a media guide, just in case my questions were too easy.
I needn't have bothered.
Here's a selection of questions I used to stump people:
- Who was Youngstown State's coach before Eric Wolford?"
I got quite a few "Tressel!" answers, as well as some blank stares. My favorite came from a guy who blurted out, "Oh, uh ... Peacock!"
- Name a starter on the offensive line.
I bet I asked this to at least 10 different people and only one person could name one. (D.J. Main, although the guy only got the last name.)
When the lineman question failed, I'd usually say, "OK, name one starter on the defense."
At this point, most people just kind of chuckled and looked away. (But take a bow, Dale Peterman and Dom Rich. One person knew each of you.)
YSU's women's golf team, by the way, couldn't name a single lineman or defensive player.
"They don't know us, either!" one of them said.
"Yeah, but they're football players!" I said. "They're supposed to be self-centered!"
 One guy confessed he didn't know much about the current Penguins but said he was an Ursuline graduate, so he asked for an Ursuline question.
"Sure," I said. "Name the Ursuline High graduate and former Youngstown State football player who went on to star in 'Married ... With Children' and 'Modern Family'?"
"He was an Ursuline grad?"
"Yes. He played Al Bundy."
"Ooooh. Um, I don't know."
(It's Ed O'Neill, by the way.)
Another woman asked for a Steelers question, so I asked her which former YSU quarterback was Terry Bradshaw's backup? She had no idea. (Cliff Stoudt.)
I asked a woman in a South Range sweatshirt to name the only South Range graduate on YSU's roster. She had no idea, even though she admitted she was a school busdriver.
"Can I get back to you?" she asked.
"Sure."
Five minutes later, she came back and guessed "David Rach."
Rach, YSU's starting linebacker two years ago, quit the team in the summer of 2011. I gave her the tickets anyway. (The answer is Chuck Lengyel.)
A few people knew that Tom Zetts was YSU's all-time leading passer ("No, not Ron Jaworski," I said to more than a few) and a few knew that Tamron Smith was the all-time leading rusher (although I had to spot at least two people his last name). A depressing number knew YSU's record and an even more depressing number knew UNI's record. When I asked one guy to tell me how many games in a row UNI has won in the series, he said, "Six!"
"No."
"Five!"
"No."
"Eight!"
"Stop guessing! You don't know." (He got a consolation air freshener from Flynn's Tire.)
I even asked a couple people the name of the Vindicator's sports editor, pointing straight at Ed. Only one could.
I didn't have the heart to ask them to name the Vindicator's Youngstown State beat writer. It would have been too depressing.
(His name is Joe Scalzo, by the way.)