Author Topic: Vindy: Volunteer restores the hue in Stambaugh Stadium’s ‘YSU’  (Read 5793 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
By SEAN BARRON

news@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

The excitement that Dan McCauley feels after the Youngstown State

Penguins’ 31-17 win over the Pitt Panthers last Saturday has not faded.

Nevertheless, what had faded was paint highlighting large letters in a section of seats at Stambaugh Stadium that boldly say “YSU” — until he acted on his goal to spruce them up.

“It was fading and chipping away,” the 70-year-old Youngstowner said Wednesday. “I kept saying to those people, ‘The logo needs to be repainted.’”

McCauley, a former part-time YSU sociology professor, was referring to the university’s athletic department, which he approached in June about volunteering to repaint the letters.

McCauley, a 1960 Ursuline High School graduate, said that some personal difficulties also motivated him to give the YSU sign a paint upgrade.

Chief among those was a life-threatening illness he said resulted in financial hardships as well as losing the ability to work.

McCauley lives close to Wick Park on the North Side and often walks on and near the campus, he said, adding that he’s sensitive to its aesthetics.

While attending a Penguins football game last year, he noticed the letters needed a little attention, the first step in his decision to volunteer to give them a makeover for free.

For a few months, however, no one from YSU returned his calls regarding the idea.

“I guess they thought my bid was too high,” he said with laughter.

Recently, though, McCauley received the university’s permission to add paint — and a bit of luster — to the letters, an undertaking that took about one week and wrapped up Monday, he said.

McCauley listed beautification projects and community volunteer efforts as two of his passions, saying the former often leads to an increase in property values and a decrease in crime.

“Volunteerism is important, especially when you’re older. It keeps you from thinking [too much] about yourself,” said McCauley, who’s also an adjunct professor at Florida International University in Miami and headmaster of an American foreign-studies school in Rome.

McCauley added that the illness, which he did not specify, also changed certain perspectives, such as causing him to more deeply appreciate “the importance of giving back and reaching beyond oneself.”

Another major source of enjoyment is being part of a group that travels around the world, courtesy of a friend in New York City who organizes the trips.

His trying experience also led to the support of friends, former classmates and business associates, some of whom knew about McCauley’s love of traveling and sponsored his trips to Argentina, Brazil, Turkey and India.

A jaunt to the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia, is on McCauley’s horizon.

So, what might McCauley’s next local beautification effort entail?

“My next project will be to pick weeds on campus with or without the knowledge of the university,” he said with a chuckle. “I was hearkened by a professor carrying weeds in one hand and books in the other.”

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vindy: Volunteer restores the hue in Stambaugh Stadium’s ‘YSU’
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »
That sort of thing really does make a difference with recruiting and such. Little things like that are the difference between "great facilities" and "falling apart".

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »
That sort of thing really does make a difference with recruiting and such. Little things like that are the difference between "great facilities" and "falling apart".

I agree this is great, now if we can only get those darn field mics fixed, how many years have they been "breaking up"

Also and this really shocked me, I drove past the Watts complex ( next to the freeway ) and the landscaping is embarrassing,   overgrown weeds along the whole length of the building. A great new building and we can't pick weeds. It really looks bad.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »
I think that guy in the article is going to pull those weeds.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
I agree with the condition of the on field mic system.  It never seems to work correctly.  Also, If I win the lottery, I am buying a whole new speaker system for Stambaugh Stadium.  The current system has no "punch" what-so-ever.  Didn't they used to have speakers at field level aimed up at the crowd in addition to the speakers at the top of the stadium?  I wonder why they stopped that?  When the team is coming out of the tunnel and "Welcome to the Jungle" sounds like it is being played on a portable am radio... who does that "fire-up"?  I hope there is a plan to upgrade the speaker system, soon.  It stinks!!!! 

Also, as my wife and I walked across campus prior to the game, she commented on the lack of landscape "up-keep" on our campus.  She is NOT a YSU alum... so, she sees things as they really are.  C'mon Building and Grounds Maintenence... pull those weeds and do a better job of trimming and edging... more pride in our University, please. 

We were at James Madison University over the summer... what a fantastic campus that is... very well maintained... and that football stadium they have there is VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!  Winning will help get the recruits on campus but, the little things might help "seal the deal".

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:38:07 PM »
Is the painter's union going to picket YSU?

Such a strong, proud union base in the "valley" and this happens?

HORRORS!

Ronnie Stoops has a painting company btw.  Where is the nepotism? 
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »

I agree this is great, now if we can only get those darn field mics fixed, how many years have they been "breaking up"

Also and this really shocked me, I drove past the Watts complex ( next to the freeway ) and the landscaping is embarrassing,   overgrown weeds along the whole length of the building. A great new building and we can't pick weeds. It really looks bad.

Drove by after the game yesterday, weeds still there, still embarrassing to see
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne