Author Topic: Baseball recruits  (Read 6599 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Baseball recruits
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »
I suspect we will hear of several players coming in.

The Twitter account for Lackawanna College Baseball indicates three members of their Junior College World Series Team will be moving on to YSU:

Lackawanna Baseball ‏@LCFalcons
Mike Accardi/Youngstown State, Josh White/Youngstown State, Carson Baker/Kutztown, Brandon Shimo/Kutztown, Jordan Gotshall/Kutztown
Tom Crimi/VCU, Logan Kaniuk/VCU, Tyler Buckley/VCU, Adam Davis/Delaware, Kris Moules/Youngstown State

Good Luck to the sophomores of the 2012 World Series Team as they move on and continue their athletic careers.

White is a catcher - hit 3/33/.297 with 9 stolen bases

Accardi is listed as a 1B/)F  3/25/.265 15 stolen bases

Moules is listed as an OF   3/42/.294  22 stolen bases

https://twitter.com/LCFalcons

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Baseball recruits
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
Good find Indy. I also spoke with a player at Columbus State CC who is looking to Ohio State, but may come our way as well. They have a great program, with a recent JUCO championship as well. He was not aware we had a coaching change.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:27:11 PM »
Former Shasta College center fielder Devin Higgins has signed on to play baseball at Ohio's Youngstown State University, an NCAA Division I program in the Horizon League.

Higgins hit .301 and led the Golden Valley Conference with 19 stolen bases last season as the Knights' leadoff hitter for most of the year.

He went to Jesuit High School in Portland, Ore., and currently is playing summer collegiate baseball with the Redding Colt .45s. He's hitting .341 with three homers and 15 RBIs and has 18 stolen bases.

Higgins will sign his National Letter of Intent on Monday.

http://www.redding.com/news/2012/aug/02/area-roundup-higgins-signs-to-play-at-youngstown/

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »
Indy - Thanks for the update on baseball recruits. It looks like Steve Gillispie has jumped on getting proven players at YSU with plenty of speed! 

One thing we need is good solid pitching, I 'm sure he must be looking intently.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »
I would think finding pitching for next season at this time is going to be difficult.  Most guys likely signed long ago.

YSU signed a couple of Ohio high school pitchers in the Fall.  Hope they are still coming

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/bsb/2011-12/releases/signees-1123

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »

Pitcher Jared Wight of La Serna High School in Whittier, California has signed with YSU

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/sports/ci_21333794/la-serna-highs-wight-heading-division-i-school

La Serna High School will send its fifth player in the past five seasons into a NCAA Division I baseball scholarship program.

Earlier this week, left-handed pitcher Jared Wight signed a national letter of intent to play for Youngstown State. He leaves for the Ohio campus next week.

"He's a warrior," La Serna baseball coach Anthony Gonzales said. "He was our bulldog; our guy. He's very deserving."

Two Lancers went to Division I schools after playing at the community college level. One player, Connor Burke, signed with the Florida Marlins after committing to a Division I program in 2011.

"He worked hard, like they all do," Gonzales said of Wight.

Wight was the Lancers' ace on a team that went 16-11-1 and tied for third place in the Del Rio League.

He had a 9-2 record and 1.33 ERA. La Serna defeated Diamond Bar in a CIF-Southern Section wild-card game, 6-2, and lost to Westminster, 7-6, in a first-round game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
Another nice find Indy. I could not find any video. I do see where he was 1st-team all-area and second team all-region. That is a big and mixed area. Lot's of Dominicans ...who just live for baseball. Any time we can pull in a west coast player ..it is opening a serious door. My father worked in nearby Downey.

There is a pitcher that looked like him in an area all-star game video ...but it does not say. If so, he hangs his arm very low ...like a big-time pitcher looking to conceal. He is a southpaw & throws very hard. More to the side than top on arm motion. Very wide stance. His stats show him hitting over .300 ...very interesting. He also is on Max Preps for basketball.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »
Indy & 1AA fan:

Looks like the new baseball coach looked intently for that pitcher and he has found one in Jared Wright.

I am excited about the new recruits for baseball and I beleive we will be greatly improved; but football is #1 on my mind. I believe we will have an extremely good team and a great chance to defeat Pitt this year!

Wow wouldn't that be something!

Offline littlepenguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
correction on the stats given for the three coming over from the lackawanna falcons, accardi hit 365, moules .294 and white .299, also accardi is an of, moules 1b/of.....white is of course a catcher having caught all of the games for the falcons.