Author Topic: Coach Gillispie Meets with Media in First Day at YSU  (Read 7662 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Coach Gillispie Meets with Media in First Day at YSU
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:27:04 AM »

Youngstown State University's new head baseball coach Steve Gillispie spoke of high expectations and optimism surrounding the Penguins program when he addressed members of the local media for the first time on Wednesday at the Beeghly Center Coaches Court on campus.

Gillispie met with members of the media at 3 p.m. in his introductory press conference, then spoke on the Ryan and Christian Show on ESPN 1240 just after 5 p.m. Gillispie, the eighth coach in school history, is also scheduled to throw out the first pitch at tonight's Little League Championship Game at the Field of Dreams in Boardman.

Gillispie spoke specifically about the quality of facilities available at Youngstown State and likened YSU's situation with what he inherited as an assistant at Jacksonville State. He also addressed his success as a top recruiter and the ability to project players' talent.

On taking a job in the North with a program that has struggled recently…

"You look past some of the recent history and look a little deeper. Not too many years ago you find a conference championship and an appearance in the NCAA Regionals. That's a great place to start. Getting up here and having the opportunity to see the facilities and the resources that are available was very exciting. They'll be a great vehicle for moving toward competing for Horizon League championships and at the regional and national level."

On message to fans on how the program can be turned around…

"The year before we got to Jacksonville State, they had an 11-39 year with three wins in the conference and only six Division I wins. The team batting average was .219, and the team GPA was lower than that. When you compare the two programs, Youngstown State far exceeds what was at Jacksonville State."

"It comes down to players and getting the talent level that is acceptable at the top of the Horizon League and grow from there. I think player development is huge in terms of getting our younger guys to reach their potential at an early point in their careers. We also want to stress competitiveness. We'll compete in the fall in a lot of different areas - academically, strength training, conditioning and baseball."

On how he's been successful recruiting…

"I've had some success projecting kids and using the programs that we have to develop their talent. It also comes down to relationships. You have to recruit families and build a relationship where trust is never an issue between the coaching staff and the player."

"We want to go after the best kids and show them that Youngstown State is a quality institution, a great place to get an education and a great place to have an experience in college baseball. We're going to go after the best kids that we can get and coach them up from there."

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Coach Gillispie Meets with Media in First Day at YSU
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:29:05 AM »
I like what I see so far. He instinctively knew that Kent players were from the regional area, and that tells me he understands what a hot-bed for baseball talent this is. Probably weighed into his decision to come here. The department seems to like him, and he acts like a seasoned-coach. It will be exciting if that translates into his actions on the field. I will be very interested in anything he has to say about the existing talent pool. I expect to see some Kent cast-offs looking for homes. Gillispie addresses recruiting in some depth, and mentioned that he feels he is able to bring in guys with big-college potential. He also noted we were able to put players into the draft in the past, and that is a level of expectation he has on a regular basis. I think he likes the "tools" YSU provides him ...two stadiums, indoor and outdoor facilities. I like his comment that we should expect to see our hard-ballers in the weight-rooms (not that Pasquale did not have this).

With the success of Kent, the people are going to start paying more attention to baseball, just as Butler's success propelled Slocum to some stellar recruits, and much-improved play. I really think Gillispie knows to take advantage of this.

Welcome coach!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:32:58 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:57:48 AM »
He is making a very positive first impression.  He deserves support from all of us.  But we must be patient.  This is going to take several years.  He is inheriting a team with very little talent.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »
Skipper's Dugout reporting that Jason Neal of Morehead State has joined the YSU staff as recruiting coordinator

https://twitter.com/SkippersDugout

http://www.msueagles.com/coaches.aspx?path=&rc=185

Jason Neal is in his sixth season as an assistant coach at Morehead State. He serves as the team’s top assistant coach, recruiting coordinator and third base coach. His duties include preparing the season schedule, overseeing hitters and outfielders and evaluating and recruiting potential student-athletes.

Neal has recruited and coached high caliber student-athletes at a national level. He has signed two Louisville Slugger All-Americans, 17 Kentucky East/West All-Stars and 24 All-State players. During his tenure with the Eagles he has coached one pre-season and three post-season NCAA All-Americans, seven players who signed professional contracts and many Ohio Valley Conference All-Newcomer and All-OVC First and Second Team selections.

Prior to joining the Eagles, Neal spent three years as the bullpen catcher for the Triple-A Louisville Bats, an affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds. He played collegiately at Oakland City University and earned a bachelor’s degree there in 2003.

Sorg on Neal:
“Jason has earned a reputation as one of the top recruiters in our area,” states Sorg. “He has a strong skill for recognizing and projecting talent. He has a great knowledge and feel for the game. He understands our league and what it takes for us to get where we want to go. I personally lean on him a great deal for his input and assessment of each situation. Jason will be recognized among the top of the recruiting elite within his career.”

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
Coach Neal's Twitter account

https://twitter.com/jasonneal6

jason neal ‏@jasonneal6
One excited dude!!

1h Larry Owens ‏@Low5109
@jasonneal6 Nice ballpark correct?

1h jason neal ‏@jasonneal6
@Low5109 very nice...
 Hide conversation

1h Larry Owens ‏@Low5109
@jasonneal6 Congrats on the new gig!!!

1h jason neal ‏@jasonneal6
@Low5109 thanks.. I'm gonna have to get some snow boots!!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »
I have to say my first impressions are positive.  Hopefully YSU found a little more money to put in to the baseball program.

As Wick notes it is going to take awhile.  School starts in a matter of weeks - it seems the likelihood of adding more than a few new players for next season is remote.  Hopefully there is some talent in the recruits and new voices and approaches will hopefully improve results.

There are some signs that baseball can be among the easier turnaround opportunities at YSU:

1) Horizon League was 27th in RPI in 2012, 29th in RPI in 2011.  On an overall basis, it might be the League's weakest sport.  The HL finished ahead of only the Northeast, Summit (even with top 100 program Oral Roberts), Great West (with top 70 Utah Valley) and the HBCU leagues.  Valpo and Wright State were 145 and 142 in RPI in 2012,   Wright State was 154 in 2011.  These were the only top 200 RPI.  YSU doesn't have to be a top 70 team in baseball to be competitive in the HL. 

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2012/conferencerpi

2)  Eastwood is a great facility.  Tempered by the fact that it is off campus, it has to be a recruiting draw.  Coach Gillispie mentioned the field as did Coach Neal in his twitter reply.  One of my son's coaches played at Butler and Ball State.  He has mentioned Eastwood as one of the nicer fields he played on.

3)  WATTS - the Horizon League folks raved about it during the indoor track championships.  For the lower level baseball leagues, it would seem the WATTS has to be among the top training facilities.  I can't imagine prospective recruits not being impressed.

4) Cene Park is a great amateur baseball facility and brings plenty of potential players t the Valley each year.  I can tell you there is no similar facility in the Indy area.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:38:12 PM by ysuindy »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
This is the biggest time of year for baseball recruiting. There are two top camps this weekend, so I think Gillispie will be at Ohio Wesleyan for the next two weekends. It is time for the Ohio top-100 camps. This is probably part of the reason why the hire was this week.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »
Agree the hire had to get made.  Absolutely the key recruiting time for the Class of 2013.  There have been several showcases around here since early June and they will run through Fall.  Not much help for next season, but the coaches will be laying the groundwork for the next crop of recruits.

I just checked the rosters for Jacksonville State and Morehead State.

JSU had a roster mostly of Alabama and Georgia players, with one from Ohio (Cincy Oak Hills), two from Southern Indiana, one from Massachusetts and one from Canada. 

MSU very heavy on Kentucky.  3 from Indiana, none from Ohio.

One would expect a few kids from their old stomping grounds, but imagine they are going to his Ohio and Western Pennsylvania hard.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »
Yes, Ohio is great baseball state and, outside of Cinci tri-state area, we are smack in the heart of it. You just do not hear much because it is not football. This is not basketball, where we are in a fair location for the HS talent ...we are in a very competitive and quality area. Look how many locals play for New England, Michigan, and Indiana teams.

There is no reason we should not be able to have athletes from the top-100 camps come here ...we have them now.

I would have to slightly disagree with the need for "years" to fix the program. Yes, if we want to become an Oral Roberts/Sam Houston/Cal Fullerton ...then yes. However, to compete well in the Horizon ...we really already have the talent. We need a replacement clean-up, 2-pitchers, and another utility man.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:58:06 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »
Adding to this thread, Skippers Dugout is reporting that former Indians pitcher Jason Stanford is the new pitching coach at YSU

Skippers Dugout ‏@SkippersDugout
Source: Former Cleveland Indians pitcher Jason Stanford will be introduced as the new pitching coach at #Youngstown State. #Horizon

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
Makes sense ...he went to Hubbard, or maybe Howland I think.

Offline Ky guy

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 07:11:09 AM »
Jason Neal is a real nice guy and a good baseball man. MSU's loss is Youngstown St's gain. Best of luck Jason!!!!!