Author Topic: Missouri Valley Football Conference Blog  (Read 3744 times)

Offline mmiller_34

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Missouri Valley Football Conference Blog
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »
Hey guys, I started a blog a few days ago. I spend most of my time on Anygivensaturday.com, but I thought I'd do something different for the upcoming season. I'll follow the 2012 MVFC season and talk non-sense and what not. Today's post was on Youngstown State so I thought some of you might enjoy it. There is also a poll along the right side bar.

http://mvfcfans.blog.com/

I hope you guys like it!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Missouri Valley Football Conference Blog
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
Your analysis is fair and reasonable.  Allow me to just add several things.  First, "youth" and "inexperience" on defense last season is an understatement, as YSU often started six freshmen on that side of the ball.  The theory is that these kids will not repeat the inevitable mistakes that caused us to lose several winnable games.  We shall see.  Just as importantly, YSU brought in a new defensive coordinator with extensive experience at places like Georgia Southern and UCLA.  Again, the theory is that he can fix those horrible defensive shortcomings that are particularly embarrassing to YSU fans.  Our national titles were won primarily with defense.  Finally, the offense returns the entire starting lineup from, statistically, the most prolific squad in school history.  Given Youngstown State's tradition and past success, this is very significant.  Improve the defense and special teams to "above average" status; look out.  If the defense continues to struggle, the offensive production will once again not matter.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
It is still a bit early, but note that we have now hired our second "big-named" defensive coordinator in a row. The fact that he even coached a Pac-10 squad tells me he might not be the man for the job at YSU. Speed Kills. Yes your chances of winning. Why did we beat NDSU? A vanilla defense. Additional man in the middle enabled us to sack their QB 4-times. How did beat JMU in our last year in the play-off? We stopped them on 4 & less than a yard. Who still holds the I-AA record for fewest points allowed in a season? YSU, 1994, and it was a 15-game season. We waltzed over Boise St. because they had never defenses like ours. We complained about lack of firepower under Tressel, now we have the opposite problem ...not enough stopping-power. Also, we have an arsenal of huge offensive weapons, and we were scoring so fast that our young defense could not find enough time to catch their breaths. Against NDSU, Montgomery shuffled the ball around & our time of possession was at almost 38-minutes ...the best all season, and still not as good as we need. I hope we build on that. Bottom line for 2011:

RED-ZONE SCORES     (42-47) 89%     (34-40) 85%
RED-ZONE TOUCHDOWNS     (39-47) 83%     (29-40) 73%

Terrible numbers in the red zone. How does a YSU team allow their opponent to get into the red-zone so many times in the first place?????? Factor in giving up almost 6 TD's per game, this means we were beat by the big play as well.

Sorry to be so harsh on a DC that has left, but this year we need to let Tresey know this is not UCLA, South Florida, or Cinci. We expect huge/fast defenses that can produce (and take away) points.

GO GUINS!!!!! Remember, we go a week early this season.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:22:26 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »
i went to your blog and you had ysu listed 4th...which i thought was about right...then i realized it was in the conference...you are out of your mind if you think the guins are the 4th best team in the conference...they will end up in the top ten in the country this year....i understand the defense has some improving to do...we will score at will on everyone...stay tuned...