Author Topic: Pasquale out as a baseball coach  (Read 18084 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pasquale out as a baseball coach
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
IP - gonna trust you over an unknown twitter account every time.  Thanks for the info - lets hope they can find a good coach and find a way to get some more resources.  If Kent State can recruit only Ohio and Western PA and make the College World Series, surely YSU should be able to find enough kids in that same area to be competitive in the Horizon League.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
Don't ask about the sources but in agreement with IP.  Some if not all are exceptional candidates.  Question is how much does YSU or can they spend?
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »
I might point out that Stony Brook has 3 players on the all-America team, and Kent has 2. It can be done.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
Three names floated on Twitter by Chris Webb, a Midwest amateur baseball blogger. 

Todd Linklater - Dayton associate head coach

http://daytonflyers.com/mens/baseball/roster/?player_id=417

Tom Lipari - former YSU assistant and current Pitt assistant

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/lipari_tom00.html

John Massarelli - Manager of Lake Erie Crushers of the Frontier League and owner of a baseball school in Akron

http://www.lakeeriecrushers.com/team/coaches/

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »
Good info Indy:

A couple of nice choices. Lipari and Linlater are pitching coaches, where Massarelli is a field-coach. Pasquale was a field coach; where Florak was more of a pitching coach. If I knew that Antush wanted to stay (a quality pitching coach, and lots of collegiate experience) ...I like Massarelli. His school focuses on offense. Also, the pro-connections are appealing. The lack of college-level coaching experience is tough though; but Antush offers any new coach a good foundation. He makes a great corporeal to a new Sargent. I say look for resume's from Kent, but it is unlikely that the flash admin would look too kindly on someone staying so close.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 07:53:28 PM »
Canton Repository from Sunday:

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/x681124135/Sunday-Special-LeBron-James-can-finally-smile?zc_p=1   on page 2 of this story

It will be interesting to see what happens at Kent State in the coming days. Head coach Scott Stricklin is reported to be weighing an offer to become Michigan’s new baseball coach. There is no guarantee that Stricklin will leave for a bigger school.

Michigan could pay him more, but not much. His contract calls for $145,000, and reports say with incentives reached in Omaha he made about $200,000 this season. That’s in the same ballpark as Big Ten schools.

If, however, Stricklin does make the most of a professional opportunity, Birkbeck would have to be at the top of Kent’s list of replacements.

I the $145k more than Slocum makes?

Points out the wide gap between YSU and MAC schools in the overall depth of the athletic budget.

If Stricklin takes the Michigan job, I would think one of his assistants gets the Kent job and one may well go with Stricklin.  I would be surprised if either applies for the YSU job.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:54:14 PM by ysuindy »

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
Indy--$145 might even be a little higher than Slocum's salary. Pasquale made around $55-60K I believe.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »
Just saw that Stricklin is staying at Kent.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »
All of Kent's baseball coaches staying

http://www.ohio.com/sports/kent-state/kent-state-baseball-coach-scott-stricklin-and-staff-expected-to-sign-contract-extension-soon-1.316650

KENT: Despite overtures from the University of Michigan, baseball coach Scott Stricklin is staying at Kent State.

The final details are being worked out, but Stricklin and his top two assistants — longtime pitching coach Mike Birkbeck and assistant coach Scott Daeley — are each expected to sign contract extensions after leading the Golden Flashes to their first College World Series.

“We sat down and talked on Friday and we’ve had a couple of conversations since then,” KSU Director of Athletics Joel Nielsen said. “So we’re working hard to put together some parameters surrounding a new deal that will encompass everything — from years to dollars.

“We’ve been working on it basically ever since we got back from Omaha and actually before that. So we were prepared with some thoughts and ideas and anticipate something sooner rather than later because both Scott and I want to see something get done soon.”

In his eighth season, Stricklin and his staff led the Flashes to several program milestones including a team-record 47 wins and the CWS berth that made the Flashes the first Mid-American Conference team to reach Omaha in 36 years.

Although Stricklin, a former KSU catcher, was contacted by Michigan and other schools, a mass email letter he sent out late Tuesday afternoon to KSU faculty, staff and program supporters clearly indicates where his heart lies.

“I know some of you have been speculating that the coaching staff might be moving after our historic season,” wrote Stricklin, who has a 314-165 record with the Flashes. “A certain school up north came calling and we decided that Kent State and what we have built here was too good to leave. We are all staying at Kent State and I can promise you that our administration, from the top down, is all in!”

Now, it’s simply a matter of hammering out the fine points, letting the ink dry and posing for the ceremonial handshakes.

“Keeping Scott and that staff together — don’t think we aren’t working hard to keep both of his assistants, too — is critical,” Nielsen said. “If those three stay together and we continue to do some of the things we’re doing facility wise, there’s no reason we can’t be like Wichita State and Cal State Fullerton.”