Author Topic: Joe Tresey New Defensive Coordinator  (Read 8742 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Joe Tresey New Defensive Coordinator
« on: February 16, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
Football Scoop.com is reporting that Joe Tresey is the new defensive coordinator here at YSU. Previous stints as defensive coordinator were Cincinnati, South Florida, and then UCLA last year. He is a very aggressive, attack style coordinator. Should be interesting to see how this works out. Thoughts?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Tresey New Defensive Coordinator
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
I do not know anything about him, why is he no longer at those three schools?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »
He is from Warren so a local guy. He was the head coach at Middletown and New Philidelphia High School's before moving up to the college ranks. UCLA's defense was pretty bad last year but he had a very good defense when he was at Cincinnati and South Florida. At USF in 2009 as defensive coordinator, their defense was ranked 24th in the nation in total defense and in 2008 at Cincinnati, they were ranked 31st in total defense so he can definitely coach

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:49:31 PM »
I do not know anything about him, why is he no longer at those three schools?

Best question of the day. All I can say is ...watch your roster from spring to fall, then fall to spring.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »
He appears to be quite the football gypsy, and it probably would have been a bad thing if Wolford had hired him in 2010 when he was building the foundation.  But now, two years later, we have the best offense in FCS football and it is returning intact.  Now is the time for a "quick fix" on defense.  If Tresey can lift the defense to just average status in 2012 and 2013, that would give our offense the chance to overwhelm our opponents.  Where he coaches in 2014 is of little concern. 

I also like the fact that Tresey has coached in the midwest, south, and west.  He should be familiar with multiple styles and should be able to develop a scheme that works best for our talent.  Just because he ran an attacking defense elsewhere does not guarantee that he will do the same here.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:01 PM »
Good post WIck.  I'm with you, I don't give a dam where he is after two years.

Why come here for peanuts though?  Those other jobs had to have him in the 300K plus range, didn't they?

Background check the HELL out of this guy!
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 05:20:28 PM »
I don't have an opinion either way regarding the hire but I believe he may have had to jump because of coaching changes.... Following Kelly from CMU (2006) to Cincy (2007-2008) and leaving for South Florida (2009)... South Florida hired Holtz for 2010 season and UCLA fired Neuheisel this year.  It's either a pattern or really bad timing.....?   

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »
Our defense just improved 6-8 pts on this hire.  Kravitz was plain incompetent.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »
He appears to be quite the football gypsy, and it probably would have been a bad thing if Wolford had hired him in 2010 when he was building the foundation.  But now, two years later, we have the best offense in FCS football and it is returning intact.  Now is the time for a "quick fix" on defense.  If Tresey can lift the defense to just average status in 2012 and 2013, that would give our offense the chance to overwhelm our opponents.  Where he coaches in 2014 is of little concern. 

I also like the fact that Tresey has coached in the midwest, south, and west.  He should be familiar with multiple styles and should be able to develop a scheme that works best for our talent.  Just because he ran an attacking defense elsewhere does not guarantee that he will do the same here.

...........Uhhhhhh.........OK......the greatest SPIN in the history of mankind!!!......LOL

He lost his job, and no one else wanted this gig........ that's why he went from "Rodeo Drive" to Hillman Avenue.

Wolf was probably lucky in getting him.......aaarghh.....

But whatever the reason........best of luck to all involved. Give the guy a chance......even if it's his 33rd!!!

Good Lord I should have gone into coaching..!!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:21:30 PM by Pizza »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »
Everytime the guy left a school, it was because the head coach and the rest of the coaching staff got fired as well. Can't blame the guy for that. When he has South Florida and Cincinnati ranked top 30 in overall defense in the country, i think he is a good coach and will do well here

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »
The statement "no one else wanted this gig" cannot be supported with hard data.  None of us know how many coaches contacted Wolford about the DC position.  None of us know how many people Wolford interviewed.  After the stinging losses to South Dakota State and Missouri State and the horrible first quarter at Indiana State last fall, some of us harbor doubts about the coaching capacity of Wolford and his staff.  But the credentials of the assistants that he hires are very strong.  No staff in YSU history had the background of Wolford's current assistants.  Now will that translate into victories?  It better.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
The statement "no one else wanted this gig" cannot be supported with hard data.  None of us know how many coaches contacted Wolford about the DC position.  None of us know how many people Wolford interviewed.  After the stinging losses to South Dakota State and Missouri State and the horrible first quarter at Indiana State last fall, some of us harbor doubts about the coaching capacity of Wolford and his staff.  But the credentials of the assistants that he hires are very strong.  No staff in YSU history had the background of Wolford's current assistants.  Now will that translate into victories?  It better.

Well said. I want nothing more than for YSU.....to be YSU again....