Author Topic: TONIGHT at Beeghly: Basketball Hosts National Runners-Up Butler on ESPN  (Read 24153 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: TONIGHT at Beeghly: Basketball Hosts National Runners-Up Butler on ESPN
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »
I would also like to thank Coach Slocum for his outstanding game preparation and his keen ability to motivate players at home in front of good crowds.  Late in the first half, I asked myself this question:  Why am I sitting here watching Larson and Chojnacki try to play basketball?  I subsequently answered my own question by leaving at half-time and thus saving myself twenty additional minutes of aggravation.

Sadly until the clown we have for a coach is gone and YSU can afford a quality D1 level coach you'll stay aggravated.

Carry on...

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
It seems like perpetual aggravation watching a big game with YSU basketball. I don't believe Chojnachi could play Div 3 basketball, Larson may play Div 2, but we have no back up big men as of this year. The big men currently recruited for next year are also perimeter players - doesn't look like sucess to me. :'(

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
Went to my first game of 2012 last night and was hugely disappointed.  Is Butler THAT much better than us?

I didn't think Butler played very well at all and they still cruised.  They do play great D though.

I ditto all the comments about our "bigs"?

Will we ever get a true post player to come here?

I don't know what to say about Slocum.  He obviously had the team prepared to win the games this year that we were underdogs in!
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »
I have a question...all our bigs are very slight in stature, do we try to get them to bulk up? Or is that a basketball no no.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
I am still in Slocum's camp. I expected to see something this year ...and I did. I am willing to accept the "took you long enough comments", but I think we need to respect what has been accomplished.

We played a strong offensive inside game in the first half. Then pushed them back in the second half. Our inability to adjust late in the first half took us out. Yes that is depth.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:46:05 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Tigertown Big J

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
    • www.jjhuddle.com
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »
Slocum has got to go.  I'm sorry, it's taken SEVEN years to put together a team that's slightly above .500.  And it's during the worst year top to bottom the league has had during that stretch.  That's unacceptable.  If the last couple of home games have proven anything, it's that people will support basketball here.  They won't support the last place team in the league, but they will support a team that is even mediocre.  It's time to blow this thing up.  This season should be the MINIMUM expectation of a season, not the celing for your progam.   Dump this guy and move on.
Go Guins!!! Drive for Five!!!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »
Slocum has got to go.  I'm sorry, it's taken SEVEN years to put together a team that's slightly above .500.  And it's during the worst year top to bottom the league has had during that stretch.  That's unacceptable.  If the last couple of home games have proven anything, it's that people will support basketball here.  They won't support the last place team in the league, but they will support a team that is even mediocre.  It's time to blow this thing up.  This season should be the MINIMUM expectation of a season, not the celing for your progam.   Dump this guy and move on.
You don't "blow-up" a team that returns it's top three players for next year. Poor choice of words. Slocum will return, if he wants to.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »
Although Heacock had a much higher winning percentage than Slocum, there is a parallel between the two coaches.  Both men were capable of recruiting some very good players.  Remember that Heacock recruited both Hess and Cook.  Slocum recruited Perry and Allen (Eargle does not count since he just decided to come home.)  However, both men failed because they lacked the ability to recruit ENOUGH good players for their respective situations.  By the end of his tenure, Heacock was filling roster spots with guys that simply could not help us.  Likewise, just look at our basketball bench.  Heacock lost his job because of this deficiency, and Slocum should also.  But as IP noted, he won't.  I predict he will coach here for two more years, until Perry graduates.  He will then leave behind a basketball program that is a complete mess.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:34:55 PM by Wick250 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
Our program has been a "mess" as long as I can remember. I have never been a huge basketball fan. Quite honestly, it is only because the Guins play it,that I even watch it. However, see a chance for consistent above average performance here with Slocum, and I want to see it. I cannot remember the last time I knew we could win compete with any team on our schedule ...as we do this year. Yes, our bench (and starters) have a problem with consistency ...but I see the team being able to focus more on defense next season, with some quality offense returning. With YSU and Valpo surging, we add so much to the conference. Next year, Butler will not be young, this is going to be an even more exciting conference to watch. Multiple NCAA & NIT bids are here for us (thanks to the past two seasons of Butler in the finals) ...with Slocum, I think we can do something.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Basketball Hosts National Runners-Up Butler on ESPN
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »
YSU 71 Valpo 53.   Hello to all those who only whine after a loss. Hello DMorton. Hello Tigertown. And a big hello to Big Red, the modern day Paladin. Even you Wick, who I hold in high regard (unlike the aforementioned) You gave up too early.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:32:36 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Tigertown Big J

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
    • www.jjhuddle.com
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »
One game doesn't change the opinion.  Seven years to get a mediocre team in place is not good.  It's progress yes.  But still time for a new direction. 
Go Guins!!! Drive for Five!!!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »
Of course he comes back.

Do you fire a guy after the best season he has ever had?

We need a sugar daddy that will fund the bb recruiting.

Does Michael Bruno's son play basketball.

Whoever posted it, the people WILL come out if there is an even chance of winning.  I mean if you like hoops, you certainly can't be searching for any high school games to go to around here.  Horrible high school basketball.

With the additions and improvements to the campus, and with our resurgence this year,  hopefully a couple 6'8" kids will take another look.

Just don't forget we are up against it, being a football school in a basketball conference.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 11:34:04 PM »
Hey! I deserve it, but how can you not be disappointed when they played so lackluster in front of 4,000 people against Butler.  Believe me, I'm  hoping beyond all hope that Slcoum turns this program around into a winner.  I want to see the stands full every night they play.  It's just that we've been suffering so long.  I used to go to the games back in the late seventies and mid-eighties when Dom and Mike Rice coached.  I want to see us progress as well as anyone else.  9-6 in the Horizon is tremedous for us.  I expect atleast two more wins, maybe three. Possibly a couple of tourney wins for good measure.  Hey! it's possible.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 11:53:32 PM »
Now if everyone we play could be #1 in the conference ...life would be great ;)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
Slocum deserves at least another year.  He needs to upgrade the recruiting expecially recruiting bigs.  The program is at least competitive and they put a good beating on one of the programs that I truly hate Valpo..they were nothing but cheaters in the other conference with us.  Are we a Butler, or a CSU, no.  Will we ever be,,,probably not...as long as we are spending low budget bucks it will be a crap shoot for us.
A Penguin for life!!!