Author Topic: Cleveland State game  (Read 17621 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Cleveland State game
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »
I read the Vindy article and one thing really sticks out..The HC..commented on the things that the kids didnt do right,  too much dribbling..etc...well Coach, obviously you didnt get the message across...Wolfford gets blasted for not preparing the kids..why give the Men's BB Coach a free pass on ...game day prep and gameday coaching...he needs to look into the mirror..it starts at the top!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »
Lets look on the bright side.....

5,000 (tickets over and above what is usually SOLD) x $8= $40,000
5,000 (Coca-Colas) X $2= $10,000

Should've been a nice payday for the Athletic Department....

Had they been competitive they probably would've average 4,500 for BUTLER and VALPO. 

I'm afraid this game COST the program $$$ money

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »
Maybe the guy who is coaching the "girls" team, should be coaching the "guys" !!!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 11:44:50 PM »
Maybe the guy who is coaching the "girls" team, should be coaching the "guys" !!!
The girls are 9-11 and the guys are 11-9. What kind of logic would support your statement?

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 11:47:40 PM »
I read the Vindy article and one thing really sticks out..The HC..commented on the things that the kids didnt do right,  too much dribbling..etc...well Coach, obviously you didnt get the message across...Wolfford gets blasted for not preparing the kids..why give the Men's BB Coach a free pass on ...game day prep and gameday coaching...he needs to look into the mirror..it starts at the top!
I looked back at recent posts, Go and didn't see you give any credit for having the kids ready to play against Milwaukee or Green Bay. Or was that all the kids doing??

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 01:54:03 AM »
The girls are 9-11 and the guys are 11-9. What kind of logic would support your statement?

The girls won 2 or 3 games "total" over the last 5 years (or something like that). Bolden came in and is winning. Turned that group around. 9 wins compared to Zero...that's my logic....though it may be flawed. Our mens' coach has hovered around average, and is basically staying there....despite earning 6X what Bolden makes.

I don't know much about BB. But i can interpret wins and losses.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 05:30:36 AM »

The girls won 2 or 3 games "total" over the last 5 years (or something like that). Bolden came in and is winning. Turned that group around. 9 wins compared to Zero...that's my logic....though it may be flawed. Our mens' coach has hovered around average, and is basically staying there....despite earning 6X what Bolden makes.

I don't know much about BB. But i can interpret wins and losses.
I know one thing you don't know about....Boldon and Slocum's salaries are very close to each other. Where did you come up with the thought that Slocum's salary is 6x Boldon's? Totally lacking of fact.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »
IP, yes the previous wins were good...my fault for not  mentioning..it...I was really up for this game...and was kinda upset about the outcome...Let me ask you this...would you renew Slocums contract for another 4 years and why?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »
Comparing Boldon and Slocum is kind of pointless.  Boldon inherited the worst team in DI basketball, and now in his second season has them playing competitive basketball.  Are we any good?  Not really, but there is finally hope for the future.

Slocum will have his contract extended.  There is no ethical way to deny him if we win three more games and finish at .500 in the league for the first time.  But consider this.  Had Eargle not decided to come home, where would this team be?  Where will this team be when Eargle is gone after next season?  Look at the big men on our bench and you see the future of YSU basketball.  Not very pretty, is it?

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »
IP, yes the previous wins were good...my fault for not  mentioning..it...I was really up for this game...and was kinda upset about the outcome...Let me ask you this...would you renew Slocums contract for another 4 years and why?
No I would not renew Slocum for 4 years. I would bring him back next year and probably would continue to for one year at a time until the University would commit much more money to go out and "buy" a coach like Cleveland State did. I do know that Slocum is excited about the 2 new recruits coming next year so I would certainly see how that plays out. 4 years--no. But we are a much more competitive program now than we were a few years ago.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
IP, another question...when we were in the OVC...when Dom;s and Rice's recruits overlapped...Cherry, Timko, Keshock, Tunstall, gilmore,  Bevley, Robinson, Williams,..Mccollough...Martin, Alexander...and if I spelled them wrong sorry...were they better recruits..vs what we get...now ...I know the basketball landscape has changed...since then...I still remember when YSU almost upset West Virginia at Home...great memory...plus the Rice years were fun...with the Friday nite midnite games!!! As for the Slocum stuff I agree with the 1 year contracts as well!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
Go - I remember Division II YSU beating Pitt at Beeghley in the 70's.  Think about how the basketball landscape has changed.  Pitt playing AT a Division II school on a 3 game contract.  We can't get Pitt to play at Division I YSU now.

At that time the OVC occupied a much higher place in the NCAA basketball hierarchy than they do now.  There were lots of good teams and good players in the OVC back then - Stephen Kite at Tennessee Tech, Bob McCann at Morehead, Boyce and Jakubik at Akron, MTSU and EKU had lots of good player.

Here is what struck me about the guys you named:

Cherry, Robinson, Williams, Alexander were from Akron
Timko from McDonald
Keschock from Mayfield Heights with family in the Valley
Gilmore from Warren
Bevely from Campbell
Tunstall from Altoona
Martin from Farrell
McCullough - wasn't he from Mohawk?

Add Dave Klenovich from Aliquippa to the list. 

Every single guy you named from the area that Tressel used to call the State of Youngstown.  And it wasn't like YSU was getting all the guys.  You just don't get that many Division I players out of that area these days - whether it is less students or other factors.  For my money, those years were the Golden Years of high school basketball in the Mahoning Valley.  YSU got Gilmore and Bevely.  Wesson from Niles went to OSU, Blaney from Badger to WVU, Greg Jones from Rayen to YSU, Joe James from Rayen to Michigan, Adam Powell of Rayen to WVU.  5 guys to the Big 10 and Big East.  We might go 20 years without one guy in the Valley at that level now.

The game has changed so much in 30 years.  Today's guys are bigger, stronger, faster than the guys above that I was nostalgic over.

If only we could get every player to improve the way John Keshock improved from his junior to senior years.  Bench warmer to first team all league.  If Vaughn Luton hadn't called time out, Keshock's shot would still be talked about today.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:27:07 PM by ysuindy »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
I lived on the same floor in the dorm with alot of those guys...i want to think Art McCollough was from..Kentucky or Tennesee..but I could be wrong...
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »
Go - think you are right on McCullough.  I was thinking of McClenahan (sp) or something like that.  :)

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 11:19:04 AM »
Go, I think Indy hit it right. For some reason, there just isn't the basketball talent in the area like there used to be. Kids don't seem to be as dedicated these days. The maverick Harding program is a prime example. Kids coming and going all the time and it's hard to recruit them because they just don't like to go to class. And Dom did a good job recruiting those kids--that's one of the reasons the playing court bears his name!!