Author Topic: Football signs four defensive players - first day of JUCO signing period  (Read 11513 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
today is the first day of the Juco signing period - allows players to be on campus for Spring Semester.  YSU signed four players today, 3 Jucos and 1 2011 high school grad who originally signed with YSU but did not enroll for Fall.

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20111219qjm9t5

Youngstown State Head Football Coach Eric Wolford announced on Wednesday that four players have signed National Letters of Intent to join the program. The four defensive players will be part of the football program beginning with the upcoming spring semester.

The players who signed on Wednesday include junior safety Chris Charles (Ellsworth College/Pompano Beach, Fla.), junior safety Twin Fernandes (Compton College/Buena Park, Calif.), sophomore cornerback Julis Childs (Compton College/Los Angeles, Calif.) and freshman linebacker Terry Johnson (Countryside H.S./Pinellas Park, Fla.).

Chris Charles | Jr. | S | 6-0 | 195 | Pompano Beach, Fla. | Coral Springs Charter (Ellsworth College)

JUNIOR COLLEGE: Was a first-team Midwest Football Conference selection as a defensive back in 2011...helped guide the team to eight wins as a freshman in 2010...in 2010, started 10 games and was credited with 65 total tackles, including 36 solo stops...team played in The Graphic Edge Bowl following the 2010 regular season...coach was Mike Virden.

Julius Childs | So. | CB | 5-11 | 175 | Los Angeles, Calif. | Lynwood H.S. (Compton College)

JUNIOR COLLEGE: In nine games, had 29 total tackles, including 15 solo stops...tied for the team lead with seven pass breakups...returned 25 kickoffs for an average of 24.5 per return...returned a kick 83 yards for a score against East Los Angeles...coach was Sean Fernandez.

Twin Fernandes | Jr. | S | 6-0 | 185 | Buena Park, Calif. | Los Alamitos H.S. (Compton College)

JUNIOR COLLEGE: Was a unanimous selection as the Mountain Conference American Division Defensive Player of the Year...led the team with 85 total tackles, including 45 solo stops...the 9.4 tackles per game ranked seventh in the Southern California Football Association...credited with 11 tackles for 62 yards in losses...had three pass breakups...had a season-best 13 tackles against San Diego Mesa...had 12 tackles against Santa Monica...credited with 11 stops against LA Southwest and Victor Valley...had 10 against East Los Angeles...as a freshman in 2010 had 40 tackles, including 27 solo stops...credited with four tackles for loss and two forced fumbles...had 125 tackles in just 16 games played in junior college career...coach was Sean Fernandez.

Terry Johnson | Fr. | LB | 6-4 | 200 | Pinellas Park, Fla. | Countryside H.S.

HIGH SCHOOL: St. Petersburg Times Pinellas County Defensive Player of the Year as a linebacker in 2010...named first-team All-Suncoast...a Pinellas County Athletic Conference First-Team selection (North County)...selected to play for the North squad at the Pinellas County All-Star Football Classic...registered 95 tackles (75 solos) and a sack...returned an interception for a touchdown and had two fumble recoveries...also played running back, finishing with 819 yards and 19 touchdowns during the season...Cougars were 12-1 record and trip to the Class 5A Region 2 Finals, losing to Plant...rushed for 77 yards on 15 carries and scored both touchdowns in game...also made a spectacular fourth-down stop on Plant running back James Wilder, one of the top seniors in the nation in 2010, in the playoffs...the 12 wins set a school record...member of first Countryside senior class to make consecutive trips to the regional finals...posted school's first-ever undefeated regular season in 2010...prior to the season was named as one of Florida's top 25 inside linebackers...coach was Jared Davis.

Originally signed with YSU in February 2011...did not attend college in the fall semester.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football signs four defensive players - first day of JUCO signing period
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »
Seems to be a start in the right direction on "D". Now let's hope these guys have a nose for the football on special teams also ;)  I'd like to see Wolf find a JUCO kicker with about 3 years left that can kick the ball from the 30 to at least the goal line.  The guys we have now kick it about the same distance as one of Jerry's kids  >:(
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:25:18 PM by ysubigred »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 07:05:40 PM »
red,

Astute comment.  Our critical needs are for secondary people AND special teams players.  If these guys can run down the field and actually tackle somebody, they will immensely improve our team.  Last year Wolford passed up A.J. Fox, a quality kicker from Mooney, in favor of the juco.  Turned out the juco had such a weak leg that our punter had to also handle kick-offs.  Bet he regrets that decision.  Heck, with the coaching change at Akron, go get Fox now. (discreetly, of course)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 07:37:40 PM »
I have no issues with either kicker, for FG's, XP's, and punts. We are a DI school ...we should have 3 kickers. More a coaches learning curve issue there.

Offline BTD30

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
Well I just watched vid on all 3 Juco's. I think in the secondary, we need guys that can cover and make plays on the ball in the air. So here's my thought on them:

Chris Charles is pretty good in both run and pass, but hes stronger in the run game. Comes up and makes the hit, and he's a pretty good tackler. In coverage, he show's to pick up his man in his area and try to make a play on the ball. He may start... http://youtu.be/tbpjTegiPLo

Julius Childs is a cover guy. Can run with his man and make a play on the ball. He'll need to work on his hips a bit, but he's only a sophomore so he's got time. He can make the sure tackle, but he's going to need to add strength. He could start, since he could be our best cover guy... http://www.hudl.com/athlete/449981/julius-childs

And now Twin Fernandes. This could be a bad player for us! Reason I say that is the position they have him at: Safety. On film.... he's not a safety and I HOPE that he won't be a safety here! He can be a good OLB though since that's where he mostly played. He can blitz and tackle well. But in coverage, he's terrible.... so he's like a rushing linebacker. He'll need to add a lot of bulk and strength since he's 6-foot and 185 lbs. At linebacker, he's got potential. But at safety..... NO! http://www.hudl.com/athlete/342680/twin-fernandes

Nobody really stands out physically like speed and strength; the measurables. They're pretty much average.

Overall, I'm not really excited because one player doesn't really "stand out" but they're okay with Chris Charles being the best out of the 3. And I really hope they put Twin Fernandes at OLB cause if he's at safety, then you're wasting his abilities.... I feel like we need to sign 2 or 3 more in the secondary that can help us in Pass defense.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
Childs stands out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsm_ve94OjA

Then again, it is high school, where the others are JUCO. Compton is a stellar program

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:47 PM »
red,

Astute comment.  Our critical needs are for secondary people AND special teams players.  If these guys can run down the field and actually tackle somebody, they will immensely improve our team.  Last year Wolford passed up A.J. Fox, a quality kicker from Mooney, in favor of the juco.  Turned out the juco had such a weak leg that our punter had to also handle kick-offs.  Bet he regrets that decision.  Heck, with the coaching change at Akron, go get Fox now. (discreetly, of course)

Thanks Wick!!  1st "astute" comment I've received credit for  ;D  Where did AJ end up?? I forgot about him and last year's recruiting.  Sadly, I'm getting old and my memory is "iffy"  :)

On this kicker thing; I'm just shocked how these kids on a scholarship can't hit the ball at least to the goal line in college.  Timmy (my son) and I was at the State HS Championship game in WKU's stadium a few weeks ago.  I tee'd up a HS football at the 30 and on my 3rd try I got it down to the goal line.  I wasn't very high but just sayin... I haven' t kicked a ball in 10 years or better.  I won't discuss the first attempt at it and how friggen sore I was the next two days LOL!!

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
^^^^^ Hey Red, you have any eligability left??  ;D

GOOOOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »
^^^^^ Hey Red, you have any eligability left??  ;D

GOOOOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!

I'd have to give up my AARP card LOL!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
Terry Johnson looks real good on film. Should be a big contributor on defense next year, wish we could of had him last year. Just another reason why i think a switch to the 3-4 would help us becauase of our great young LB's. Only thing is, do we really have that big, tough DT to take up space in the middle?

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »
Terry Johnson looks real good on film. Should be a big contributor on defense next year, wish we could of had him last year. Just another reason why i think a switch to the 3-4 would help us becauase of our great young LB's. Only thing is, do we really have that big, tough DT to take up space in the middle?

"Terry Johnson" Great Name for a LB at YSU!! Reminds me of James Terry or Tim Johnson  :)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »

Welcome aboard ysufan0505. Great questions and insight. I do not know if you have been here before, but you will fit in very well. 3-4 vs 4-3 is a great topic. I am not sure we have the size anymore.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 05:08:08 PM »
1st time on here before but thank you! I know we have Aronde Stanton back next year year but not sure he is the guy. Our LB's are just so strong, it only makes sense to move to the 3-4. I do see our secondary getting a lot better next year with Boatwright coming back from healthy from the injury and then Davis is back and then i hear that Dale Peterman will be joining the team this spring so he can either play Corner or Safety. D'Alesio is back as well but i just do not think he is starting material and then Jimmy May i think is best suited as the nickel corner. We should be a lot more athletic than last year. Should be interesting. GO GUINS!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
red,

Thanks Wick!!  1st "astute" comment I've received credit for  ;D  Where did AJ end up?? I forgot about him and last year's recruiting.  Sadly, I'm getting old and my memory is "iffy"  :)

On this kicker thing; I'm just shocked how these kids on a scholarship can't hit the ball at least to the goal line in college.  Timmy (my son) and I was at the State HS Championship game in WKU's stadium a few weeks ago.  I tee'd up a HS football at the 30 and on my 3rd try I got it down to the goal line.  I wasn't very high but just sayin... I haven' t kicked a ball in 10 years or better.  I won't discuss the first attempt at it and how friggen sore I was the next two days LOL!!

Red, I think he meant "ass toot", just spelled it wrong.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »
Here are the recruiting videos so far. If you come up with any more let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE0DB208EBD7F203A&feature=plcp