Author Topic: YSU to Montana State DEC 3rd  (Read 3680 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU to Montana State DEC 3rd
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »
Projecting the FCS Playoff field week 12
By Chuck Burton

Publisher/Managing Editor

College Sports Journal

Youngstown State (Missouri Valley).  Their win over the No. 1 team in the country last week, North Dakota State, means that all that stands between them is a win over 1-9 Missouri State.  But if they lose to the Bears, they'd be out with only 6 Division I wins.

Indiana State (Missouri Valley).  They need to win over 3-7 Southern Illinois, and they're a good chance to make the field, based in large part on their 44-17 drubbing of FBS (and former Missouri Valley Football Conference member) Western Kentucky earlier in the year.  Their fate also might be tied to Youngstown - should the Penguins win, they'd also have a win over a "playoff team" to show to the committee.  But, like Youngstown State, they need to win to make it in.

Illinois State (Missouri Valley). Working in the Redbirds' favor is that they are already playoff-eligible, with seven D-I wins.  Not working in their favor is the fact that it's unclear whether the playoff committee will take five teams from the Missouri Valley, and a team with only one quality win (Indiana State) and a very bad loss (2-9 Eastern Illinois). It seems like Illinois will be in if either Indiana State or Youngstown State lose — and the Redbirds beat 8-2 Northern Iowa. To me, it's a must-win game for the Redbirds' playoff hopes.

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/94-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-week-12
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:23:23 PM by ysubigred »

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU to Montana State DEC 3rd
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:15:47 AM »
This has always been a Big Sky biased (Griz) writer ...as evidenced by the Sky receiving two seeds. UNI will get a seed over and 8-3 Montana (maybe not a 9-2 UM though) ...with Appy State and Sam Houston well above either of them.

The committee will not ignore the fact that we beat ILS, and the SDSU beat us. Saying we are above the Jacks and below the Redbirds is foolish.

Unfortunately if we are the 3rd team out of the MVFC, we will go out west and I only wish we had MSU ...this one would break 100-points with ease. They will never stop our play-action and our secondary will never stop their QB. The key would be our ability to pressure once again.

We will end up with a play-in game and get a game AT either#2 Southland, #3 SoCon, or HOST #4 CAA. I suspect the last with a game here in Youngstown ...which is great ...welcome back JMU #2. We are once of the few show-case teams in FCS/I-AA ...ie: we hosted JMU as we are a better draw. We go to Wofford. However, I feel there is an outside shot that we could get Bethune-Cookman ...then we could host ...again because of draw. However, politics could put us in Florida for this one. One other scenario would put Duquesne at the Ice Castle ...but that is a long-shot.

This all assumes that we are in:

1. A HUGE win this weekend.
2. Strollo is liked by the committee, as we do not deserve a bid over SDSU.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
Northern Iowa better not F up all these playoff scenarios on all these different threads. >:(
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
Northern Iowa better not F up all these playoff scenarios on all these different threads. >:(

To bad YSU didn't play UNI this week to get UNI a win!?  So, YSU could make the playoff's?.. I think LOL!! :o