Author Topic: PLAY-OFF POSSIBILITIES  (Read 10491 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
PLAY-OFF POSSIBILITIES
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »
So, is the loss to SDSU going to come back to bite us?
What if ILS beats UNI this week?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:09:53 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: PLAY-OFF POSSIBILITIES
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
I was approving my credit card at 3-0 ...now look. Oh well, as I said. We were exposed last week-1AA Fan

Offline ysuscuba

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
I guess we have to cheer for UNI to take down ISUR!
"Any aquatic species that dares to swim past the coast of Japan will become extinct."

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »

why? a UNI win makes the schedule look harder and as in basketball terms a "Quality loss" isnt a bad thing when being considered for playoffs

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »

why? a UNI win makes the schedule look harder and as in basketball terms a "Quality loss" isnt a bad thing when being considered for playoffs

ISU (R) at 8-3 will screwed ISU (B) and YSU out of the playoff's.  The MVFC only get's 3 team's in if UNI loses.

NDSU 10-1 UNI 9-2. YSU, ISU (R) AND (B) at 7-4. MVFC still get's 3 but I believe YSU get's the 3rd spot. Possibily 4 because of all the other conferences having 7-4 teams.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:26:51 PM by ysubigred »

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »
Lets enjoy this win tonight...but take care of business on Saturday!!  I don't know that I can pull myself to root for uni.  But I think if they can put away the redbirds, we should get the nod over them.  But the sycamores may have a claim too.  I wish I had more faith in those choosing the elite 20.

Z

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:14:16 AM »
The 20 playoff teams will be chosen by a selection committee consisting of eight athletic directors (don't think they added two more from the NEC and Big South....Indy would know.)  One of those committee members is in the third year of his four year term.  Goes by the name of Ron Strollo.

Here is what we want to happen next Saturday:

Wofford (now 7-3) is at Chattanooga.  If they lose, they would lack seven DI wins and would be eliminated (if the committee abides by its seven DI win requirement.)  That would restrict the Southern Conference to two teams, a very good thing for us.

From the MEAC, Norfolk State looks like they have the auto bid, but 8-3 teams Florida AM and Bethune Cookman play next week.  If the committee takes the winner as a second MEAC team, that would be very bad for us.

Should only be one from the Patriot League and the OVC.  Again, that helps.

Of course should Southern Illinois knock off Indiana State on the road, that would be tremendous.  We also need Northern Iowa to take down Illinois State on the road.  One of these is imperative for us.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »
I don't think it matters who wins or loses between UNI, ISU, and Ill st.   The comittee will look at the CAA and Southern as they always do.  Not fair but that is reality.  We do have two quality wins over NDSU and Ill. st.  which may help.  One catch though-We need to beat the living crap out of Miss. St Saturday for any chance.  They are 1-9 and if we only win a close game then no playoffs. 

Ysu needs to pound Missouri St. by at least 30 for any consideration. 

So far the weather for next Saturday looks to be around 50 degrees and cloudy so get your butts to the game. 

Go guins!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 08:40:24 AM »
Even if we don't make the playoffs this season next year should be the year of 8-9 wins at least.  We get the top teams in the league at home next year and return just about everyone. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 09:43:46 AM »
We play in a strong conference. The MVFC is better than the CAA this year. The Southern Conference and the MVFC are the top 2 followed by the Big Sky. We just beat the #1 team in the country. We also beat #14 Illinois state. We will have 7 division 1 wins if we win next week. The way we have played other teams and the way we continue to improve insnt hurting our case. The fact that UNI jus beat Southern Utah helps our conference strength argument. Finally, we have been shafted in the past, especially when the head of the committee was from the CAA. Strollo sits on the committee now.  Nothing like a little influence to help our case. We need to grease the wheels with regard to our argument starting NOW.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 10:47:33 AM »
We need to beat the living crap out of Miss. St Saturday for any chance.  They are 1-9 and if we only win a close game then no playoffs. 

Ysu needs to pound Missouri St. by at least 30 for any consideration. 

So far the weather for next Saturday looks to be around 50 degrees and cloudy so get your butts to the game. 

Go guins!

This is all that needs said. Great post Pride!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?99422-Playoff-Selection-Committee/page2&s=09c72d1914484ba5bd9e0b8e793a9f84

Wick - based on this post, the committee is now 11 - with the NEC, Big South and Pioneer included.

The Robert Moris AD appears to be the chair.

I imagine this works like the basketball committee - when YSU is discussed, Strollo will need to leave the room.

As others have said, the only thing in YSU's control now is to go beat the crap out of Missouri State.  Although I am sure we will get the weekly wailing about the polls tomorrow.   ;D

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
In addition to the Chattanooga over Wofford desired result below, it would seem getting Maine (who will be in) to beat New Hampshire (now 7-3) would help YSU.  UNH would have 7 division I wins as well.  Clearly the more teams that end at 7 wins instead of 8 is beneficial.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »
When you win counts as well. A late season loss hurts more. We should know that from experience from being shafted by the committee over a decade

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »
Let me run this by everyone.  Tell me if it makes any sense.

Scenario one: Northern Iowa beats Illinois State.  Illinois State is done since they would finish 7-4 without a FBS loss.  YSU and Indiana State get the league's third and fourth bids.

Scenario two: Illinois State wins and ties Northern Iowa at 6-2 (8-3.)  But that puts Indiana State out and not us, and here is my reasoning.  The playoff committee is not bound by head-to-head results (unless such things determine the auto bid.)  Yes, Indiana State beats us by two points early in the year and has a good win against Western Kentucky.  But they also would have lost all three games to the MVFC champion, NDSU, and to the two MVFC second place teams, Northern Iowa and Illinois State.  If YSU does not make the playoffs, Indiana State would have NO wins over playoff teams.  Conversely, YSU goes 2-1 against the three best teams in the league.  Is that a compelling case for the fourth league bid, which I think will come?