Author Topic: Football - Penguins vs. Bison @ Fargo  (Read 6966 times)

Offline yellowstreak

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Football - Penguins vs. Bison @ Fargo
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
what are the Penguin's strengths and weaknesses?

please feel free to join Bisonville and discuss there too.
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25433-Penguins-Bison-Discuss

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football - Penguins vs. Bison @ Fargo
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:01:16 AM »
what are the Penguin's strengths and weaknesses?

please feel free to join Bisonville and discuss there too.
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25433-Penguins-Bison-Discuss

All depends which team shows up.  Another mystery year here in Guin land LOL!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:33:06 PM »
If you go over to the MVFC website and look at the statistics for conference games only, you see stuff that makes you shake your head.  Our perception is that NDSU has a great defense.  That is certainly true in that the Bison have given up only 10 touchdowns in six games (we have yielded 22.)  Now here is where it gets to be strange.  We are third in the conference in total defense; NDSU is fourth (by about five years per game.)  NDSU is dead last in pass defense, giving up about 40 yards per game more than we do.  On offense, we are first and they are eighth. 

So why is NDSU 6-0 and top-ranked while we are 3-3 and unranked.  In addition to the touchdowns allowed disparity noted above, NDSU is plus 10 in turnover margin while we are minus 1.  NDSU also leads the conference in punt returns and kickoff returns.  They get possession of the ball often and in very good field position.

The statistics suggest that this game is not the mismatch that some might think.  Unfortunately, NDSU does all the little things that characterize winning teams.  If we hold on to the ball, avoid stupid special team blunders, and throw effectively to open up the running lanes, this is going to be close.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »
All 3 of our games with NDSU have come down to the last minute, including the game we blew last year.

Don't be surpirsed if this one is the same.

Also don't be surprised if we blow it late like we did earlier this year against UNI, SDSU and possibly IndyST.

no, I am not bitter.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »
Thanks for coming by Streak. As you can tell, there seems to be a like of identity with the team this season. Just a few things:

1. Our offense is very fast ...and at times, has displayed decent power. However, I still feel that we do lack a power game, which hurt us last week. It will not hurt us as much against the Bison, as your defense is different than UNI's. Because of that, this game will not be as close ...one way or the other. Your defense will dominate us, or our offense dominate you.

2. We throw a great number of looks at a defense, and  have to say that I am very impressed with how well the young players have adjusted to Montgomery's play calling.

3. Hess is very good QB for a Soph ..he has been rattled 3 times this years ...two resulted in losses (SDSU and UNI). Amazingly, he had no fear against Michigan State, and we did very well. MSU had the 1st-team in for almost three quarters, and although it was little, there was some doubt that they would win. So Hess would be a key, as he is such a catalyst.

3. O-line is very under-appreciated on this team, but our numbers show they are very solid for as new as they are. We have the best TE's in the conference & they shift freely from end, to XB, to FB.

4. Special teams coverage improved last week, but is still a serious issue. List is a good punter and can get great height ...so coverage has some time. Cannot say the same for kick-offs, so we are always handing our opponents a short-field to work with on kick-offs. We only have 1 punter and 1 kicker this year, which hurts us. We lack the power kicker for kick-offs and 35+yrd field goals. Then again, we are 49 of 52 for TD's in the red-zone ...and our kicker Brown does the job on XP's. I like him a great deal, just think we are short-staffed from the tee.

5. Defense is what Red is mostly talking about when he says 'which team shows up'. They are very inconsistent. IMO ...possibly too small for this conference.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:37:47 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »
I'm glad you are not bitter Happy, I am. :'( :'(

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
Can't be bitter.....

The difficult thing to accept in football is.....one has to lose, while
one has to win.  We could have done so many victories this year
and last......IF ONLY....we had finished the game/games.  Not an
easy pill to swallow BUT we are improving.

Next year should be a thriller for those of us who have stayed the
course.  I'll do my best to remain and thrive and enjoy the wins.

To those who lack the spirit to remain steadfast.....what can I tell you,
give the devil their dues....you can never build an empire overnight.
Patience.....dear fans.  Excellent Coaches, as well as Players...come
and go.  Some years you are lucky enough to get the whole mash
to jell.  Lets hope 2012 will be the year....easy for those of us who
are not running out of time.

GO PENGUINS

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »
If you go over to the MVFC website and look at the statistics for conference games only, you see stuff that makes you shake your head.  Our perception is that NDSU has a great defense.  That is certainly true in that the Bison have given up only 10 touchdowns in six games (we have yielded 22.)  Now here is where it gets to be strange.  We are third in the conference in total defense; NDSU is fourth (by about five years per game.)  NDSU is dead last in pass defense, giving up about 40 yards per game more than we do.  On offense, we are first and they are eighth. 

So why is NDSU 6-0 and top-ranked while we are 3-3 and unranked.  In addition to the touchdowns allowed disparity noted above, NDSU is plus 10 in turnover margin while we are minus 1.  NDSU also leads the conference in punt returns and kickoff returns.  They get possession of the ball often and in very good field position.

The statistics suggest that this game is not the mismatch that some might think.  Unfortunately, NDSU does all the little things that characterize winning teams.  If we hold on to the ball, avoid stupid special team blunders, and throw effectively to open up the running lanes, this is going to be close.

I seen this the other day and was going to post it but the board was down.  With all this said, it all falls back on preparation and coaching.  I'm not saying anything bad about Wolf and the staff, but as having a young team he and his staff are young coaches and should jell as well.  If we get a big win this year it's in Fargo.  We've beaten this team/coach before.  Two teams in the MVFC has our number and that's SDSU and UNI  :-X  Talent wise; YSU has never been stacked in positions other than TB & LB's. We've always had good tough nosed and disciplined players that played hard.  This team and future team's under Wolf seem to be more talented athletically then previous coaches brought in.  The future looks bright as long as the coaches grow with the players.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:59:09 AM by ysubigred »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 10:56:43 AM »
Thanks for coming by Streak. As you can tell, there seems to be a like of identity with the team this season. Just a few things:

1. Our offense is very fast ...and at times, has displayed decent power. However, I still feel that we do lack a power game, which hurt us last week. It will not hurt us as much against the Bison, as your defense is different than UNI's. Because of that, this game will not be as close ...one way or the other. Your defense will dominate us, or our offense dominate you.

2. We throw a great number of looks at a defense, and  have to say that I am very impressed with how well the young players have adjusted to Montgomery's play calling.

3. Hess is very good QB for a Soph ..he has been rattled 3 times this years ...two resulted in losses (SDSU and UNI). Amazingly, he had no fear against Michigan State, and we did very well. MSU had the 1st-team in for almost three quarters, and although it was little, there was some doubt that they would win. So Hess would be a key, as he is such a catalyst.

3. O-line is very under-appreciated on this team, but our numbers show they are very solid for as new as they are. We have the best TE's in the conference & they shift freely from end, to XB, to FB.

4. Special teams coverage improved last week, but is still a serious issue. List is a good punter and can get great height ...so coverage has some time. Cannot say the same for kick-offs, so we are always handing our opponents a short-field to work with on kick-offs. We only have 1 punter and 1 kicker this year, which hurts us. We lack the power kicker for kick-offs and 35+yrd field goals. Then again, we are 49 of 52 for TD's in the red-zone ...and our kicker Brown does the job on XP's. I like him a great deal, just think we are short-staffed from the tee.

5. Defense is what Red is mostly talking about when he says 'which team shows up'. They are very inconsistent. IMO ...possibly too small for this conference.

#5 No Dan! I mean the whole team "O" and "D" plus coaching staff  ;)  Somehow some way one, two or all three don't show up at some particular time during a 60 minute game.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:00:11 AM by ysubigred »