YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

NCAA approves "full cost of attendance" benefits for athletes

(1/3) > >>

ysuindy:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/october/di+board+of+directors+adopt+changes+to+academic+and+student-athlete+welfare

It is going to take someone a lot smarter than me to figure out exactly what this means for YSU.

Up to $2,000 additional over and above tuition, room, board, etc for athletes on full scholarship in "counting" sports - men's and women's basketball and football.   Can't tell what it means for FCS football where (I believe) up to 85 athletes can split 63 scholarships.

Clearly applies only for those on full scholarships.

Is it mandatory or optional?

If mandatory, where does YSU find the money?

If optional, does it put YSU at a recruiting disadvantage?

If optional, can it be given only to some athletes in some sports or is at an all or none situation?  Seems like a Title IX conflict if it isn't all or none?

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: ysuindy on October 27, 2011, 02:45:26 PM ---http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/october/di+board+of+directors+adopt+changes+to+academic+and+student-athlete+welfare

It is going to take someone a lot smarter than me to figure out exactly what this means for YSU.

Up to $2,000 additional over and above tuition, room, board, etc for athletes on full scholarship in "counting" sports - men's and women's basketball and football.   Can't tell what it means for FCS football where (I believe) up to 85 athletes can split 63 scholarships.

Clearly applies only for those on full scholarships.

Is it mandatory or optional?

If mandatory, where does YSU find the money?

If optional, does it put YSU at a recruiting disadvantage?

If optional, can it be given only to some athletes in some sports or is at an all or none situation?  Seems like a Title IX conflict if it isn't all or none?

--- End quote ---

This is wrong >:(  They already get a full ride now $$ on top of that too.  Lou Holtz don't like it either  8)

pennyguin1:
Maybe they think it will cut down on the illegal action of boosters fb.

I of course got through college the hard way: grant, loans, and working.

nova75:
Probably a step in the right direction. If the rules are the same as when I played, scholarship athletes are forbidden by the NCAA from working during the school year.

IAA Fan:
There is currently no cap on the numbers that I know of Indy. Most I-AA scholarships are two parts ...cost of tuition ...room and board. A school that divides this way could have up to 126 on some form of athletic scholarship. There is no cap on academic or need-based scholarships ...which is how the PL (and the non-scholarship) and the black college programs survive. If I understand this correctly ..I-AA will never be the same, and where are our commissioners when all of this happens? This is designed to pull power away from the BCS, buy combining all DI teams together. Which is what they want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version