YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

NCAA approves "full cost of attendance" benefits for athletes

<< < (2/3) > >>

pennyguin1:
Nova75-The last year I was FT student at YSU athletes were allowed to work on campus. Same as work study

Big D:

--- Quote from: ysubigred on October 27, 2011, 03:24:02 PM ---This is wrong >:(  They already get a full ride now $$ on top of that too.  Lou Holtz don't like it either  8)

--- End quote ---

You really have no idea what you are talking about.  This is not only the right thing to do, but it should have been done years ago.  A full ride scholarship isn't really a full ride.  It covers tuition, a dorm room, books, 3 meals a day during the week, and $30 for food on the weekend.  That wasn't enough for a kid to attend college in today's world unless he has other means.

For example, say you sign a good recruit from florida that comes from a very poor family that cannot help him at all.  You want that kid going to his classes, all practices, and all off season workouts so that he can be the best player possible for your school.  He isn't going to be able to have a part time job and do all of those things.  How is he going to pay for:

--transportation to/from Florida just to get to school
--school supplies: a computer, flash drives, paper, notebooks, pens, pencils etc that aren't covered by that full ride scholarship.
--clothes for 4 years.  That kid is going to grow once you get him into your college weight room.  He is going to need to buy clothes to wear.  I wonder if that Florida kid even has a winter coat.
--food eaten outside of the dorm.  It's sad when a college student can't even order a pizza
--basic neccesities like toothpaste, soap, deodarrant, laundry detergent, etc
--healthcare.  The university only has a policy on the kid for sports related injuries.  If they get a common cold they have to go to a free clinic if their parent's don't have insurance and how are they going to pay for a med rx.

This new rule isn't about paying athletes.  It's about giving them basic neccesities we all take for granted.

Dracula:
Where are the parents & or guardians ? Some responsabilty falls on them ?

Big D:

--- Quote from: Dracula on October 29, 2011, 06:41:22 PM ---Where are the parents & or guardians ? Some responsabilty falls on them ?

--- End quote ---

Most parents/guardians help out but there are a lot of cases out there where these young adults are on their own.  If a kid comes from a foster home for example, the government stops providing money to his foster parents the day he turns 18.  Many foster parents are done with you at that point in time.   Once again, these are young adults who do not have a chance to work a part time job to help support themselves because of the time commitment they put into classes and practice. 

I have worked in OSUs, UDs, WSUs, and UCs athletic departments.  I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a kid who brings in thousands of dollars for a university not being able to go to the school's bookstore and be able to afford to buy their own jersey.   

ysuindy:
Since I posted this, I read something that indicated the decision on whether to offer this is up to the individual conferences. 

Which leads to a few questions as it relates to YSU:

(1) - Has the Horizon League made a decision?  Big D - what are your thoughts?  Seems a few can afford, not sure about others.

(2) - With YSU football in MVFC, other sports in Horizon, what happens if one league decides to offer, the other does not? 

(3) - What if the MVC decides to offer, does it apply down to football?  Or are they really separate leagues?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version