Author Topic: Kurt Hess  (Read 27769 times)

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Kurt Hess
« on: October 02, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »
first post here,  as a 20 year old YSU fan (although they are my 2nd team tied with Mt. Union but still behind the Buckeyes)

does Hess have the potential to be one of, or the Best QB in school history? how good was Isaac? Jaworski?

Hess seems like he has alot of potential (big, strong arm, pretty accurate, mobile for 6'4 230) and could have a NFL future if he gets enough pub

if not, who is the best QB from YSU ever and why? top 5 best all time?

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Kurt Hess
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
Jeff Ryan

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:05:35 PM »
why ryan

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »
Kurt is only a sophmore, so he has time to grow.

Of course I think the best QB we had since I have been alive has been: Brunguard. He was the complete YSU qb. Took care of the ball, and could manage the game. Does anyone remember the EKU playoff game.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Ron Jaworski was the best quarterback to ever play here, and he was followed, after a one year interval, by Cliff Stout.  Both men had reasonably long NFL careers, although Stout was primarily Bradshaw's caddy in Pittsburgh.  Those two were certainly the best passers to ever play for YSU.  Tressel's quarterbacks were mostly game managers rather than star passers.  Trenton Lykes, Ray Isaac, Mark Brungard, Demond Tidwell, Jeff Ryan.  Take your pick.  Tom Zetts was the best last decade.  If he stays healthy, Kurt Hess will break every passing record.

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 11:12:33 PM »
Ron Jaworski was the best quarterback to ever play here, and he was followed, after a one year interval, by Cliff Stout.  Both men had reasonably long NFL careers, although Stout was primarily Bradshaw's caddy in Pittsburgh.  Those two were certainly the best passers to ever play for YSU.  Tressel's quarterbacks were mostly game managers rather than star passers.  Trenton Lykes, Ray Isaac, Mark Brungard, Demond Tidwell, Jeff Ryan.  Take your pick.  Tom Zetts was the best last decade.  If he stays healthy, Kurt Hess will break every passing record.

if Hess breaks every passing record (which he is very well on pace to do) and at least gets to an NC, is he the best of all time?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 06:52:35 AM »
Good, but loaded, topic. Maybe we need to break it up by coach? I am not certain that winning a title is a perquisite for being the best QB. In my mind, only 2 of my 6 favorite Penguin signal callers even won a title. Tressel was the only Head-coach we ever had that did not modify his teams to fit the strength of the QB ...he was a system guy.

Brandon Summers is the most talented QB we have had since maybe Trenton Lykes ...or maybe all-time. We needed Summers about three years earlier than we got him. Never had time to mature. He would have been the best QB ever.

Stoudt & Jawosrski were the most successful. Stoudt was probably the better all-around QB. Jaws threw low and hard, required a special receiver ...which we had two of at the time.

Between Isaacs and Cochran ...Isaac was much faster than Cochran, and could throw on the run. There was not a better option QB in all DI at the time. He would hold on to that ball until he looked down, then pitch it. I remember seeing a pile of defenders on him ...then this ball would pop out of the top, and Clark would be there & take off. Ray just drove officials crazy, as they did not know when to call him down. Cochran was a better game manager and had a cannon of an arm. All we had to do with Cochran was use an unbalanced look up front.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:26:02 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »
Colby Street.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »
The decade of the 70's had the best quaterbacks!

They produced Ron Jaworski, Cliff Stoudt and Keith Snoddy all three had long professional careers. Ron and Cliff in the NFL and Keith in the CFL. All three have been involved in championship games.

Remember back in the 1970's Youngstown State only scheduled 8 or nine games, thus setting passing stats then versus today's players isn't comparable. Today's players play 11 games per year as a mininum and have a possibility of many more. Thus in a career today's players may have 12-16 games more than players in the 70's

Will Kurt Hess be as good as Jaworski and company depends on the team's performance the next two years and if he gets to play in the Senior Bowl or East/West Shrine Bowl. If selected to one of these post season Bowls and he shines to the pro scouts eyes, he will be drafted in the first 5 rounds. That would give his chance to be a Jaworki.

Time will tell.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »
Did not know Snoddy played up north! Who did he play for, was he a starter??

GOOO  GUINS!!!!

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
Colby Street.
Ha!  I want to change mine to Marshall which his first name escapes me

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 01:35:04 PM »
Colby Street.
Ha!  I want to change mine to Marshall which his first name escapes me

I liked Aaron. I especially liked his brother Willis. We had Matt Rycraft at the same time as aaron

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
Willis did well in arena ball. Thier parents were great people.

Offline Lucky Seven

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »
I liked Mark Brunguard and Tommy Zetts.  Two good quarterbacks under the system.  Very good game managers!  I was never a Jeff Ryan fan

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 12:31:41 PM »
The old gray-beards Jaws and Stoudt were before my time.  Among the ones I've watched, I believe you could make a case for any one of Lykes, Isaac, Brungard, Ryan, or Zetts.