Author Topic: Kurt Hess  (Read 27777 times)

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Kurt Hess
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
If I'm not mistaken....Hess is just a sophmore. And a damn good one at that. He had one really bad series. I can show 50 others where he was great.

Just like the Stoops argument.......Hess isn't the problem either.

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
first post here,  as a 20 year old YSU fan (although they are my 2nd team tied with Mt. Union but still behind the Buckeyes)

does Hess have the potential to be one of, or the Best QB in school history? how good was Isaac? Jaworski?

Hess seems like he has alot of potential (big, strong arm, pretty accurate, mobile for 6'4 230) and could have a NFL future if he gets enough pub

if not, who is the best QB from YSU ever and why? top 5 best all time?

Right now he's the 23rd ranked QB in FCS.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/passing

Brungard best all time at YSU count the rings  ;D

Rings=Team Effort

Hess will probably shatter all of Brungards numbers

Without the rings your records are meaningless. It takes a winner to organize and control a team :)

LOL what a terrible argument

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »
If I'm not mistaken....Hess is just a sophmore. And a damn good one at that. He had one really bad series. I can show 50 others where he was great.

stoops is a major problem, the D will never be better untill he is gone, he just cant coach at this level sorry just the way it is and i know a few kids on the team who have thought about leaving because of him (former HS teammates)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 08:01:01 AM »
If I'm not mistaken....Hess is just a sophmore. And a damn good one at that. He had one really bad series. I can show 50 others where he was great. 3-8 last year so far 2-3 this year  ;)

Never said Hess was the problem.  Actually like the kid "BUT" there's been a few more opportunities especially last year to do something great for example...(WIU game).  Anyways, you like big numbers and records for greatness and I championships for greatness.   8) Go read my "screw the offense" post. 5 + years now of trying to be a flash and bang offense (looks great for QB's numbers) but it's not getting YSU near the playoff's let alone a championship.  We don't get the horses up in Y-town to act like an SOCON team on offense or defense to cover the offense somehow we get figured out and this league (MVFC) makes the adjustments to shut it down.  Defense win championships.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:43:58 AM by ysubigred »

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 06:37:52 PM »
If I'm not mistaken....Hess is just a sophmore. And a damn good one at that. He had one really bad series. I can show 50 others where he was great. 3-8 last year so far 2-3 this year  ;)

Never said Hess was the problem.  Actually like the kid "BUT" there's been a few more opportunities especially last year to do something great for example...(WIU game).  Anyways, you like big numbers and records for greatness and I championships for greatness.   8) Go read my "screw the offense" post. 5 + years now of trying to be a flash and bang offense (looks great for QB's numbers) but it's not getting YSU near the playoff's let alone a championship.  We don't get the horses up in Y-town to act like an SOCON team on offense or defense to cover the offense somehow we get figured out and this league (MVFC) makes the adjustments to shut it down.  Defense win championships.

number of Championships dont determine how great a QB is, unless the QB plays every position and coaches, that simple, even a 6 year old could figure that one out

meanwhile, Hess is 18 passing TDs away from breaking the school record and about 10 minutes away from leading YSU to a win over the #1 team in the country, #1 D in FCS and #1 in all of D-1 CFB

VERY impressive

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »

number of Championships dont determine how great a QB is, unless the QB plays every position and coaches, that simple, even a 6 year old could figure that one out

meanwhile, Hess is 18 passing TDs away from breaking the school record and about 10 minutes away from leading YSU to a win over the #1 team in the country, #1 D in FCS and #1 in all of D-1 CFB

VERY impressive

Hess is a great kid and a good QB. All the records at YSU will fall to him "BUT" if he don't lead a team to a National championship "WHO CARES" how many TD's and 200 YD passing games he has.

Quit acting like a 6 year old dumb ass!!

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 07:47:07 PM »

VERY impressive

Hess is a great kid and a good QB. All the records at YSU will fall to him "BUT" if he don't lead a team to a National championship "WHO CARES" how many TD's and 200 YD passing games he has.

Quit acting like a 6 year old dumb a$$!!

are you f***ing retarded? or do you just not understand CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE A TEAM SPORT? my god your f***ing stupid as all hell

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:39 PM »
Trent Dilfer>Dan Marino

i mean QB is the ONLY thing that matters in winning championships right?  8)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »

VERY impressive

Quit acting like a 6 year old dumb a$$!!

are you ******* retarded? or do you just not understand CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE A TEAM SPORT? my god your ******* stupid as all hell

I maybe stupid, but I know more than you about football LOL!!  Team sport yes, but all the TD and yards in the world don't equate to championships, so you become an after thought and someone someday will break the QB's records then they are forgotten Trent/Dan.  I bet Dilfer and/or Dano would trade all their "greatness" for one championship.  Get a clue JR!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:14:48 PM by ysubigred »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
Trent Dilfer>Dan Marino

i mean QB is the ONLY thing that matters in winning championships right?  8)

No... They have to be the brains and the leadership that manages the team on the field.  Individually they are measured by stats. Greatness is measured by Championships period.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 09:10:33 PM »
^^^^^

Hey Red we won!!

GOOO GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »
YSU21,

It is interesting that you ask these questions.  Hopefully you desire to learn a thing or two about college football at  the FCS level.  It appears that you want to learn, so let me say this:

10-15-20-30 years ago FCS football was not as developed as it is today.  Most teams were run heavy (similar to how the Buckeyes are operating without Coach Tressel today).  Offense was unimaginative (again same as the Buckeyes today).  If you were able to run the ball on someone, well, you typically won as long as you had a defense that could stop the run.  There was passing, but the spread was not part of the game.  Everyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Appalachian State was the first team to introduce the true spread to FCS football.  Jerry Moore who is their current coach went to West Virginia and met with Rich Rodriguez to learn the spread.  App State uses the WVU spread exactly.  Prior to his staff learning the spread, he was a 1 and done coach in the playoffs over many years.  That style of offense caught on in the FCS and BCS levels over the past 10 years.  the defenses are catching up. (This is a whole different subject that has to do with size and speed of defensive personnel from then to now for a different forum)

In the past a QB could win a NC being a good game manager because of the people surrounding him and the style of offense employed.  Individual records were not as big of an emphasis as it is today; and certainly the passing game was not as prominent.  At the end of the day, great defenses win championships at any level of college sports.  Many of the fans that post on this board understand this and this is probably the reason why people don't ask the question that you ask.  It is a good question, but the QB is dependent on the ability of his receivers, the play of his running back, and most importantly the play of the offensive line.  The QB's stats depend on the style of offense being run and the strength of the team.  As you stated, it is a team sport.  You can have an all world QB, but if he doesn't have an OL, good RB's and WR's, it really doesn't matter.  Finally, from year to year, teams have different strengths and weaknesses and different identities depending on the coach, which makes it difficult to measure QBs from year to year or decade to decade.  Does this make sense to you?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:38:36 PM by penguinpower »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:20 AM »
^^^^^

Hey Red we won!!

GOOO GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES SIR!!!!!!!!  GooooooooooGuins!!!!!!!!!!!