Author Topic: Kurt Hess  (Read 27779 times)

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
Re: Kurt Hess
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
I can't believe Rycraft is STILL getting pub??  The most written about non -starter since Zwick.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »
Give me Dailyn Campbell anyday

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »
The old gray-beards Jaws and Stoudt were before my time.  Among the ones I've watched, I believe you could make a case for any one of Lykes, Isaac, Brungard, Ryan, or Zetts.

Cochran right in there with ...if not above that list. He was a great back-up then took over and had a great 1992.

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 07:56:48 PM »
Nick Cochran was the man. When JT cut him loose in 2nd. half  against Marshall he was a beast.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 01:38:39 PM »
first post here,  as a 20 year old YSU fan (although they are my 2nd team tied with Mt. Union but still behind the Buckeyes)

does Hess have the potential to be one of, or the Best QB in school history? how good was Isaac? Jaworski?

Hess seems like he has alot of potential (big, strong arm, pretty accurate, mobile for 6'4 230) and could have a NFL future if he gets enough pub

if not, who is the best QB from YSU ever and why? top 5 best all time?

Right now he's the 23rd ranked QB in FCS.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/passing

Brungard best all time at YSU count the rings  ;D

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »
first post here,  as a 20 year old YSU fan (although they are my 2nd team tied with Mt. Union but still behind the Buckeyes)

does Hess have the potential to be one of, or the Best QB in school history? how good was Isaac? Jaworski?

Hess seems like he has alot of potential (big, strong arm, pretty accurate, mobile for 6'4 230) and could have a NFL future if he gets enough pub

Rings=Team Effort

Hess will probably shatter all of Brungards numbers

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »
Ron Jaworski was the best quarterback to ever play here, and he was followed, after a one year interval, by Cliff Stout.  Both men had reasonably long NFL careers, although Stout was primarily Bradshaw's caddy in Pittsburgh.  Those two were certainly the best passers to ever play for YSU.  Tressel's quarterbacks were mostly game managers rather than star passers.  Trenton Lykes, Ray Isaac, Mark Brungard, Demond Tidwell, Jeff Ryan.  Take your pick.  Tom Zetts was the best last decade.  If he stays healthy, Kurt Hess will break every passing record.

if Hess breaks every passing record (which he is very well on pace to do) and at least gets to an NC, is he the best of all time?

Hess is very good.

Passing records mean little anymore with the spread offenses in todays game. Asterisk* should be used for most football records "before" the spread and "after" the spread.

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »
Ron Jaworski was the best quarterback to ever play here, and he was followed, after a one year interval, by Cliff Stout.  Both men had reasonably long NFL careers, although Stout was primarily Bradshaw's caddy in Pittsburgh.  Those two were certainly the best passers to ever play for YSU.  Tressel's quarterbacks were mostly game managers rather than star passers.  Trenton Lykes, Ray Isaac, Mark Brungard, Demond Tidwell, Jeff Ryan.  Take your pick.  Tom Zetts was the best last decade.  If he stays healthy, Kurt Hess will break every passing record.

if Hess breaks every passing record (which he is very well on pace to do) and at least gets to an NC, is he the best of all time?

Hess is very good.

Passing records mean little anymore with the spread offenses in todays game. Asterisk* should be used for most football records "before" the spread and "after" the spread.

so should they do that after every time the game starts to change? should we * stats after and before the foward pass?

not to mention its not like Hess throws it 30-35+ like most spread teams we run a pro-spead and more often then not unless we are down by multiple scores run more then pass

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »

Hess is very good.

so should they do that after every time the game starts to change? should we * stats after and before the foward pass/

My answer to that would be yes.

And understand, I think Hess is special. And a great kid and leader.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:05:57 PM by Pizza »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 07:57:27 AM »

Rings=Team Effort

Without the rings your records are meaningless. It takes a winner to organize and control a team :)

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »

Rings=Team Effort

Without the rings your records are meaningless. It takes a winner to organize and control a team :)

Don't tell that to those who voted Dan Marino into the NFL Hall of Fame. And the millions of football fans who agreed with that decision.

That's why football is such a great game. No one player can do it alone. Terry Bradshaw was an above average QB, yet he won 4 Super Bowls, because of 53 other guys (and 200 other coaches, owners, support staff....etc).

Bart Starr is another that comes to mind with a ring who was "average" before Lombardi. Lot's of average Qb's have won rings at all levels because of great supporting cast.

My post is not to take away from ANY of the great QB's YSU has had. Some were great and had a great team with them. They got a ring. Some were great (Zetts) and didn't quite get there.

My point is it takes 22 (offense and defense)......and hundreds of others......and a little luck....to be a champion.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 08:07:46 AM »

Rings=Team Effort

Don't tell that to those who voted Dan Marino into the NFL Hall of Fame. And the millions of football fans who agreed with that decision.

That's why football is such a great game. No one player can do it alone. Terry Bradshaw was an above average QB, yet he won 4 Super Bowls, because of 53 other guys (and 200 other coaches, owners, support staff....etc).

Bart Starr is another that comes to mind with a ring who was "average" before Lombardi. Lot's of average Qb's have won rings at all levels because of great supporting cast.

My post is not to take away from ANY of the great QB's YSU has had. Some were great and had a great team with them. They got a ring. Some were great (Zetts) and didn't quite get there.

My point is it takes 22 (offense and defense)......and hundreds of others......and a little luck....to be a champion.

I'm one of Dan's biggest fans "BUT" records are meant to be broken and rings are forever.  Marino don't have many records left  ::)  It's not how many yards they throw for or how many TD's they have it's all about controlling the tempo of the game and organizing the other 21 players as the field general.  A complete QB knows that if the "D" is tired slow the game down etc... Besides Brady and Warner most of the championship QB's were grinders like Brungard :)  Zetts, the thing I remember most about his YSU QB days was the missed opportunities, fumbles etc..  Hess so far is following in the same pattern.  Last week's game is a great example (missed opportunity).  Plenty of time to tie the game.  March the ball to the red zone then throw 4 incompletions.  Hess has time to redeem himself, Zetts just has some records that will fall.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:31:44 AM by ysubigred »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »
I agree YBR, he looked rattled on that last drive for sure. Hopefully these are learning experiences and not new standards.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 11:11:51 AM »
I agree YBR, he looked rattled on that last drive for sure. Hopefully these are learning experiences and not new standards.

I would love to see actual game film (end zone shots) to see what receivers were open on those last 4 passes.  Somebody had to be on at least one of the downs.  I'm not blaming Hess completely though.   If I remember correctly we completely forgot about a first down and fired everything toward the goal line?

Was White in the game?  At 6-6" how could you not try a slant to him?  Get it to the sticks.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 08:01:51 PM »
Hlecter on the last drive, when we ran trips left the D was playing man,,,and Doubling up on the side that Hess was trying to force it to seemed locked to on to the WR on  the right...we ran that formation like twice and Hess didnt see the miss match
A Penguin for life!!!