Author Topic: Jim Tressel  (Read 12442 times)

Offline pittsburghpenguin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Jim Tressel
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:51:34 AM »
On thr front page of The columbus Dispatch. Jim Tressel resigns as Ohio State coach.

www.dispatch.com
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:03:33 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Jim Tressel
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
It was coming. I will say one thing before this is "spun" in every direction ...wake up America ...your media is too powerful. People ignore their control in politics, but now that it impacts something they care about, maybe they will have a moment of clarity. This all started back when OSU told ESPN they were not welcomed for the Michigan game almost 10-years ago. It started back when Tressel mentioned Christian faith 10-years ago. I still find it impossible to believe how insignificant his offense truly was. Also, coach H going to Kent was a sign.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:03:53 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:43:37 PM »
The so called student athletes are a big part of the problem.  There is no way the coaching staff can be a father/mother to all those kids nor should they be.  It is an honor to get the rings/pants etc and they are selling it. That is something you keep for life. I still have my Varsity Letter from High School.  Shows how little it means to them.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »
It was coming. I will say one thing before this is "spun" in every direction ...wake up America ...your media is too powerful. People ignore their control in politics, but now that it impacts something they care about, maybe they will have a moment of clarity. This all started back when OSU told ESPN they were not welcomed for the Michigan game almost 10-years ago. It started back when Tressel mentioned Christian faith 10-years ago. I still find it impossible to believe how insignificant his offense truly was. Also, coach H going to Kent was a sign.

If the offense was so insignificant then Tressel should have done his job and informed his compliance staff.  He knowingly played ineligible players and then lied to the NCAA.  Don't give me this is the media's fault.   I call total BS on that comment.  Jim Tressel lied - the man who preached integrity showed none. 

Sports Illustrated is coming out with something later today.   I hope YSU doesn't get dragged through the mud any more - hopefully they haven't found anything else other than what we already know - our convicted felon trustee and our jury tampering quarterback.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
Indy. I would never deny what was done. However, do you think that many (and I mean many) others did not know about this? I will agree with you in hoping that it does not come back on YSU, as that is my primary concern. There has to be lot's of dirty laundry ready to be aired now, or OSU would lose much of their fan base. Believe me, the university does not want coach T to be another "Woody" in the eyes of the consumers ...errr um fans. Also, today is the last day for season ticket renewals. So most of the money is in.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
Coach was a good man ...his loyalty and anybody that knows coach he tried to fix this and keep it the family..ESPN got what they wanted they have been gunning for him since they paid Clarett 100k..to be a rat..Ray Small Rat 2, was always in the doghouse  We will soon find out that Pryor was a bigger piece of crap than we already knew.....Beanie Wells said it well today  on twitter

Do they not understand that only society will suffer more not having a Jim tressel around! He's more than a coach to alot of guys !  Alot of the players that came thru OSU are like myself and don't come from the ideal situation and when u have a guy like tress that steps
In as a father, mentor, friend and teacher! It only helps the maturation process from a boy to man! And that alone is worth more than winning football games It's not his fault at all that he had a few go stray out of hundreds!!! U check the success rate of the people that have been around him!!

That was what tress was about,,.not the crap that ESPN keeps saying over and over..$ 15000 in memorbillia and some tattoo's caused this and tress lied and payed the price...her didnt run like Pete Carroll...Auburn wins a National Championship whose QB was shopped by his dad for money and they both claimed that neither knew what the other was doing,,,Seriously ..Again Tress got what he deserved..Tomorrow we will find out what dirt they got from Tress's Youngstown days...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1920867 a good linkfrom 2004
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »
According to what I read, there are new allegations from his days at YSU in the SI article which may be released online tonight.  OSU's bball program is being targeted also.  It is rumored that up to a dozen more players were involved in tatgate and also traded memorabilia for drugs.  The Dispatch justput out that the NCAA is digging deeper on Pryor

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/05/30/zzz.html

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »
It's not his fault at all that he had a few go stray out of hundreds!!! U check the success rate of the people that have been around him!!

He is not out of a job because a few players went astray, he lost his job because he lied and tried to cover stuff up. He could control that.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
Just read the SI story.  About the only thing "new" regarding YSU is that Tressel fixed a few of Ray Isaac's traffic tickets.   If that is the only new "revelation" about YSU, I am thrilled.

Comments from Dr. Cochran, reference to Pauline Saternow.  On the front page at si.com

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:41:08 PM »
Sorry Indy--didn't see your post here and started a new thread.

Offline newname

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
I agree with you quinpen.  Every college football player in D1 and D2 must sign a NCAA compliance form.  If they do not, they are not cleared to play.  simple as that.  Those are the rules and everyone associated with college football knows that - especially the coaches!!  The fact that Tressel would sign his compliance form KNOWING that he had players that were not compliant and, allowed them to sign those forms is WRONG!  No other way around it.  It's unfortunate that he has to lose his head coaching position at OSU because he covered up what those few players took upon themselves to do what was completely wrong.  Does he deserve this punishment - absolutely!  Yes, I am sure this happens more times than not - but he got caught.  They need to catch them all.  Maybe NCAA will crack down and really start coming down on these players and coaches that have the arrogance (sp) to get away with this.  College football is a billion dollar business.  Bottom line is it was more important for him to cover up for his "star" then do what was right which was to turn Pryor and the other players in the moment he found out about it.  It's a shame! But maybe this is a wake up call.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »
OSU needs to fire Gee and Smith.  Those players involved especially Pryer need to get out of dodge and leave Columbus. 

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 02:26:05 PM »
I gave money to football players.

I bought them food and drinks.

I employed them.

A few of them drove my cars.

When should I resign?  And from what?
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »
OSU needs to fire Gee and Smith.  Those players involved especially Pryer need to get out of dodge and leave Columbus. 

Right on Pride. Make a real statement. I think Pryor is gone, but the rest need to go as well.

By the way, did you notice that every time SI/ESPN/CNN mentions Tressel, they bring up the worst coach in football (in terms of NCAA violations). Urban Myer? My gosh if the NCAA spent one day in Florida, there would be no football there for the next 20-years.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 05:43:43 PM »
I gave money to football players.

I bought them food and drinks.

I employed them.

A few of them drove my cars.

When should I resign?  And from what?
Don't you have to work first before you can resign??