Author Topic: The devoted ...YSU Sping Game  (Read 5413 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
The devoted ...YSU Sping Game
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:14 PM »
Needless to say there was rather sparse crowd on hand for the 2011 spring game. I saw some good and some bad. However, with weather and only being spring ...too early to tell.

1. Patrick Angle ...best QB on the field today and game MVP through the first half (when I left).
2. Welcome back to Taylor Hill. He was reading every throw and reacting today.
3. Nice height in the WR corps ... now if they can just catch the ball.
3. Torian Pace held the ball today, and Bellamy looked very good. Cook looks actually smaller, but has a slightly-changed running style ...lower with better ball security.
4. My FG concerns are not gone, but I fell a little better. I would love to go back to having two kickers.

Players that stood out in a good way:

Both #5's. Bellamy and Lewis
90 OB
14 Angle
42 Nate Adams (matches well with Angle)
40 Hill
55 Mady (played both sides a couple of times)
91 Nick DeKraker
81 Nick Liste* (really hitting the ball well today).

Again, I only stayed for the half ...so what else did I miss?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The devoted ...YSU Sping Game
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
I did not go; I suffer bad weather only when it counts.  From listening on the radio (futile with Hannon but I don't want to reopen that subject) and looking at the game stats, one could deduce that the first team defense has improved, holding our first offense to less that three hundred yards.  The accomplishments of Angle and Jones, although nice, mean less because they were working against the second team defense, a unit that contained few players who will see the field this autumn.

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »
Great to meet & greet with the head coach in the tailgate lot previous to the game. Team looks bigger & stronger overall. Long dry spell till kickoff. Fans should plan a tailgate & take in a double header for the baseball or softball team this spring. Go YSU!!!!

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
Actually for the first time in many yrs NO one from the Guin Family went to the game. Lucky had to work, and Mom and PapaGuin didn't want to sit out in the rain. Of course I wasn't going to sit out in the rain with a 6wk old in the rain. Don't worry the baby will make his Penguin debut in 2012.

Offline TheBearMay

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:43:34 PM »

Again, I only stayed for the half ...so what else did I miss?

Another 1/2 inch of rain....the Ice Castle looked more like Niagara Falls.  ;D  Second half went by fast due to the continuous clock, but overall the second half was largely a repeat of the first.  Red team had a couple of drives going but fumbled them away.  White team had a potential disastrous fumble in the 2nd when a pitch on the reverse got loose, but ended up recovering it and running off another 3-4 minutes.

Line play on both sides was intense, but the protection largely held.

Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.