Author Topic: Indians St week  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Indians St week
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2024, 11:51:24 AM »
I mean, I’m happy we got the W, but it was against the worst team in the conference and we almost blew a 21 point lead.

Brungard had all of 71 yards passing and our D still gave up some huge plays.

Brungard is still really struggling with the RPO, reading defenses, and just seeing the field as the play develops.

I wish I could say I can come away with a positive outlook, but I simply can’t.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2024, 04:45:12 PM »
The play-offs are not an option at this point, so how should we play it the rest of the year?

Keep playing the same starters hoping they get more experience or try some new blood?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2024, 07:50:58 PM »
Let it play out and maybe Phillips resigns after the season.  He has no toughness to him.  Always saying the rt thing but a very nice guy.  Had his toddler in the locker room .  Really?  He needs to be tougher and a bit more stern if you ask me. He is not the answer.  Last year proved it as all starters that were able to come back transferred.   Most of them are 2nd or 3rd string now.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2024, 09:00:46 PM »
I always wonder if the posters on this site are true pulse on how the majority of all YSU fans feel concerning coach Phillips.  Everyone  on here wants him gone but I'm not there based on his two prior seasons which  were decent.  This season Is over in my opinion and my view will be based on next year.
I watch on youtube the Penguin football podcast and the 4 ex players seem to love him as did Mitch Davidson who was their guest last Wednesday.
I have a feeling he has the support of the administration but I have no proof.   I understand the anger,we all want to win and go to the playoffs and see YSU relative in the FCS and make a run in the playoffs like last season and now the program is back towards the bottom of the conference and there should be questions and accountability which always starts with the head coach.

Coaching is like sales what have you done lately.  I'm concerned about the future of the progam since they lose both backs and several starters on the o-line.  Phillips is going to have to attack the portal harder than ever but YSU has very little in nil money.   There's no excuses like coach Calhoun used to say "your record tells who you are".

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2024, 11:25:43 PM »
UCF,

We are going to finish 2-10; maybe 3-9 if somebody takes us too lightly. This is Phillips' fifth year, he recruited all the players, and we should be operating at peak efficiency. When he lost much of his defense because of that darn portal, he replaced them with transfers that can not play at this level and backups that also are over-matched. Perhaps he would have been successful in the old days when players received no money and transferring was difficult. But he is completely ineffective under the blasted new climate of college football.

What makes this worse is that we actually have more NIL money than most....right now. That will dry up after this disaster of a season. Then what? We are 3-5 years away from being good....if we do everything right.

I agree that Phillips has the support of the Strollo administration. But as I speculated last week, I wonder how Johnson will feel about having his football team becoming a laughingstock. I suspect big changes will come after this season, whether its Phillips' departure or our finding funds to hire real coordinators.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2024, 08:09:10 AM »
It speaks well for DP that some ex players love him, he seems like a nice guy and a good human being. But the job is to build a program and win games, sure it is icing on the cake if you are also a great guy.

I am confused about our NIL money; some say we do very well for our level some say not so. 

I cannot imagine the issues any head coach, at our level, has to deal with, budget for staff, NIL money, the ease players have to transfer, finding talent, developing talent, working the portal, game plans, game execution, the list goes on. But that is the job.

With that said it is the job of the AD and his staff to provide the football program, as well as every other sport, the assets needed to succeed.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Jayguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2024, 09:13:48 AM »
Assuming Phillips is our problem at this point and making a change would be the downfall of the program.  Tressel had a 3-8 year sandwiched between championships and not against the level of competition we play now. Coaching changes have not worked well for us in the past.  Generally they don't.  Look at the Brown's and I am a browns fan.  They have constantly changed coaches and qb's since 1999 and see where they are at.   Our program needs to stabilize.  The Steelers are a stable program.  So Is Duquesne.  A coaching change after this season would be a disaster.   We are young and our d has potential,  if they keep improving I can't see why we can't end the year with 5 or 6 wins.  Btw, I believe our rb room is loaded from what I see.  The kid from Niles just came In and we have a couple backs now behind King and Wright.   Go guins

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2024, 11:59:31 AM »
Assuming Phillips is our problem at this point and making a change would be the downfall of the program.  Tressel had a 3-8 year sandwiched between championships and not against the level of competition we play now. Coaching changes have not worked well for us in the past.  Generally they don't.  Look at the Brown's and I am a browns fan.  They have constantly changed coaches and qb's since 1999 and see where they are at.   Our program needs to stabilize.  The Steelers are a stable program.  So Is Duquesne.  A coaching change after this season would be a disaster.   We are young and our d has potential,  if they keep improving I can't see why we can't end the year with 5 or 6 wins.  Btw, I believe our rb room is loaded from what I see.  The kid from Niles just came In and we have a couple backs now behind King and Wright.   Go guins

With all due respect, this team is not winning 5 or 6 games. That's fantasy land type of hopes.

Our remaining schedule:
@ South Dakota St (defending National Champion, 4-1)
vs. South Dakota (4-1)
vs. North Dakota (4-2)
@ Illinois St (4-2)
@ Southern Illinois (2-4)
vs. Northern Iowa (2-3)

Perhaps we can win one or two against SIU and Northern Iowa, but that still brings us to 3-4 wins. We certainly won't beat any of the Dakota teams and Illinois St is a good team as well.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2024, 01:02:55 PM »
UCF,

We are going to finish 2-10; maybe 3-9 if somebody takes us too lightly. This is Phillips' fifth year, he recruited all the players, and we should be operating at peak efficiency. When he lost much of his defense because of that darn portal, he replaced them with transfers that can not play at this level and backups that also are over-matched. Perhaps he would have been successful in the old days when players received no money and transferring was difficult. But he is completely ineffective under the blasted new climate of college football.

What makes this worse is that we actually have more NIL money than most....right now. That will dry up after this disaster of a season. Then what? We are 3-5 years away from being good....if we do everything right.

I agree that Phillips has the support of the Strollo administration. But as I speculated last week, I wonder how Johnson will feel about having his football team becoming a laughingstock. I suspect big changes will come after this season, whether its Phillips' departure or our finding funds to hire real coordinators.

I agree with everything you said but I really didn't factor president Johnson in to the equation.  With him being new would he over ride Strollo and make his mark ?     For me I'm looking at next season as a make or break season in the program. Coach Phillips had elevated the program until this season and how much was it his fault that he got killed by defections ?   Maybe 100% since he's the man at the top.  Like I said the Phillip's is going to have to hit some home runs in the portal . Going out and finding a new coach with YSU's Budget going to make us Tressel 2.0 ?
 I'm worried about the future at qb.  Beau has a different skill set than YSU has had the last two seasons and I'm not sure that relates to the program in wins or not but He's still young.
There is still a lot of football to play but like an above poster mentioned it looks like we're not favored in too many  and maybe none.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2024, 01:07:19 PM by ucfpengbuck »