Author Topic: Villanova Game Week!!!  (Read 1665 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Villanova Game Week!!!
« on: August 25, 2024, 05:00:07 AM »
Well Penguin Fans! It is that time of year. This week is officially game week!!!!!!

Offline InTheYo

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Villanova Game Week!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2024, 08:56:11 AM »
Any fans making the trip to Villanova?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 11:22:46 AM »
Should be healthy and ready to go. Much different team than least game last year. Should be much better on D and run game. Not as good passing. Villanova has a bunch back and Should contend in playoffs. We should know a lot more about quins after game.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline InTheYo

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 05:42:00 PM »
If anyone is interested, some of us from this message board had a Twitter Space last night to preview the 2024 season and Villanova. If anyone is interested, you can listen here.

https://x.com/i/spaces/1BRKjwaVrjVGw

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2024, 11:10:45 PM »

Online goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2024, 10:01:40 AM »
Where has the faithful Penguin fan gone?  The lack of interest in YSU football is scary.  I realize times have changed and forums may be a thing of the past but where is the energy?  You have to question if the coach is the right fit?  No need to worry though Strollo has him locked down for the foreseeable future! 

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2024, 10:20:20 AM »
I am not anti DP. Gotta see how this year plays out. Made the playoffs last year after all!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2024, 10:36:07 AM »
Where has the faithful Penguin fan gone?  The lack of interest in YSU football is scary.  I realize times have changed and forums may be a thing of the past but where is the energy?  You have to question if the coach is the right fit?  No need to worry though Strollo has him locked down for the foreseeable future!

Coach Phillips teams have improved which could be viewed and interpreted differently based on how bad his first couple of seasons have gone to where YSU finished last season.
My biggest concern has been the the number of players on defense that fled through the transfer portal.   At the same time is that Phillips' fault or Players taking advantage of NIL and financial gain which most of us would do the same if we were in their shoes.

I have listened to a few interviews with coach saying that this guy or another has played a lot of football speaking of new defenders that were backups and now it's time to step up and be the 1st teamer that is expected and why you were recruited to YSU.
Are these guys better or as good as the ones who fled and played behind ?    Are the transfers brought in an actual upgrade ?

No one can answer those questions until we see the product on the field and how it plays out over the course of the season.   It's mostly about recruiting and developing and now retaining players year to year.   Not to mention bringing the right fit from the portal.   

This season should be a good indicator of coach Phillips and the YSU program.    Your record tells exactly where you're at.   I'd probably give coach a pass if the season doesn't go well since breaking in a new QB and how hard he got hit with defectors but coach is 100% accountable for what goes on within the program.

I have no way of knowing if this is another playoff potential team or not and the Villanova game might be an indicator but I'm still going to support and cheer on coach and the penguins.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2024, 11:44:35 AM »
I feel that this season will tell us what we need to know about DP not any one game but the whole season.

A bunch of players left, a bunch of players came in, lots of players stayed. It is the job of the head coach to manage all these things and win games.

I am not down on DP and will wait to see where the season takes us. Excited to get started.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2024, 02:41:42 PM »
Of any season opener in a long time, this one will tell us a lot about the team and effort we have. Looking forward to seeing the run game and how new defense holds up. I think we have some depth on D but will they play without making big mistakes like last year?  Going to watch the game at Double Bogies in the Southern Park Mall for the YSU watch party.

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2024, 03:06:16 PM »
See you at Double Bogies Pete!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2024, 09:51:30 AM »
Game day!!!!! Let's gooooooo Guins  fb

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2024, 12:37:08 PM »
Does anyone know of another pub or sports bar carry the YSU game on their TVs (Eastwood mall area) beside the official YSU watch party in Boardman?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2024, 03:52:30 PM »
I was wondering the same about the watch party. I live in Howland and going to Boardman is tough at 6pm.  Any other areas carrying the game?? 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2024, 04:59:27 PM »
I was wondering the same about the watch party. I live in Howland and going to Boardman is tough at 6pm.  Any other areas carrying the game??
l remember many years ago when YSU played Penn State on Espnu.we went to BWW in Eastwood mall to talk the manager into turning one of the small tv in the back to ESPNU to let about 10 of us to watch the game.
But I don’t know if any sports bar carries FLOsport,
I am just surprise that YSU does not organize a watch party on campus in the student center as part of the welcome week. That was probably too much to ask.Lol