Author Topic: Horizon League Tourney Seeding  (Read 6032 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Tourney Seeding
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2024, 09:09:04 AM »
Well the Horizon League Championship came down to the team that was the most consistently best all season in Oakland and the hottest team in Milwaukee, who had won 6 straight & 8 of 9.  It was no surprise the game was basically within 3 points either way much of the game with Oakland pulling away to win by 7 basically in the final minute as it was a 2 point game with under 2 mins to play.

Oakland deserved this as I said was the most consistent team all year.  How long has it been since someone won both the regular season & tourney?  Oakland always play a tough non conference schedule and are always tough in the regular season, but disappear in the tournament.  Hard to believe this is their first NCAA tournament since 2010 before they were in the Horizon.

They are 23-11 but counting league play and the tourney they went 18-5 against Horizon League teams.  Their non-conference losses were to Ohio State by 6, Illinois by 11, Drake by 8, Toledo by 1, Michigan St & Dayton.  And they beat Xavier

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2024, 09:16:58 AM »
And they had a lot of returning players as well. Not too many Portal players.  They are still young too. Going to be tough to keep pace with them next year as well.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2024, 09:21:04 AM »
I've been depressed for a week now.  Did Calhoun have any type of press conference yet?  Other than the end of game comments, I haven't seen an interview or read anything in the paper.  He talked about this years team from the beginning as if they could walk on water - obviously they sank.  I want to hear from him, in his opinion, what went wrong and in the future will he sign so many 1-year and done players.  This years team really made me appreciate last years team.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2024, 09:22:38 AM »
Milwaukee is returning virtually everyone as well.  League will be really strong next year. GreenBay young as well.  We were the oldest team in the league by leaps and bounds.  Another total rebuild by Calhoun again

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2024, 09:25:41 AM »
Not another press conference yet..  when are we going to be and wil we accept an invite from a pay to play tournament?    Someone in the know will have to let the casual fan know what is going on.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2024, 09:27:19 AM »
Calhoun and staff need to go after 3 point shooters and defenders in the off season.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2024, 10:27:33 AM »
I've been depressed for a week now.  Did Calhoun have any type of press conference yet?  Other than the end of game comments, I haven't seen an interview or read anything in the paper.  He talked about this years team from the beginning as if they could walk on water - obviously they sank.  I want to hear from him, in his opinion, what went wrong and in the future will he sign so many 1-year and done players.  This years team really made me appreciate last years team.

Been thinking the same. 

And obviously the NIT is out of the picture.  I'm not sure there is any other option other than the CBI.  In one of those end of the year press conferences it kind of seemed like NCAA or bust.

Before Oakland, we were the only team to beat Milwaukee in the last 9 games.  Considering we couldn't beat CSU at home without their best player, even had we won I don't think we could have beat NKU, Milwaukee or Oakland.

We need tougher players and better shooters.  Those teams all had a go to guy too which we didn't this year

Offline 33Y0

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2024, 12:22:12 PM »
From what I've heard, the team has decided to sit out any potential smaller postseason tournaments. The cost is too high to do so and most of the team is leaving the program because they're seniors. Had this team been younger, they would have taken the added cost to help grow the team. Being that this was an older team, wasn't worth the money to go play in a meaningless tournament.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2024, 12:42:10 PM »
You can only go to the well so many times for $$$$$.  Im sure the guys that are paying for the Beeghly upgrades are also the guys that would pay for the tournament. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2024, 01:06:36 PM »
Both of the above comments are what I was thinking. 

Coach was all about the opportunity in the past about playing in post season then COVID ruined an appearance in the CIT, then it was getting into The Basketball Classic, and the NIT last year. 

Add in the fact that both the CIT and TBC are gone and the NIT has thumbed its nose at mid majors.

I just get the feeling there's a lot of disappointment & evaluations going on.

I love Coach Calhoun and what he's done for basketball and the team has basically improved every year and played well down the stretch until conference play and tournament play.  It has to be frustrating cause I know how it is for all of us the fact of only one semi-final appearance since he's been here for 7 years despite 5 straight winning seasons.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2024, 07:05:36 AM »
As great of a coach Calhoun is we have stumbled in the post season tournament in our own league. Frustrating.   Tired of hearing maybe next year.  That ship has sailed years ago.  Less portal players and more JUCO/HIGH SCHOOL kids are needed so we don't have to go through the process again and again.   Just my thoughts.   We wouldn't be in the spot had we not had Calhoun. We have to look at what he and his staff have brought to Ysu.  Recruiting season has begun.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2024, 08:52:25 AM »
As great of a coach Calhoun is we have stumbled in the post season tournament in our own league. Frustrating.   Tired of hearing maybe next year.  That ship has sailed years ago.  Less portal players and more JUCO/HIGH SCHOOL kids are needed so we don't have to go through the process again and again.   Just my thoughts.   We wouldn't be in the spot had we not had Calhoun. We have to look at what he and his staff have brought to Ysu.  Recruiting season has begun.

Losing at home in the tourney 2 of the last 3 years as considerable favorites is what stings the most let alone just 1 semi-final appearance.

So I guess the CIT tournament is back https://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/schedule-results.php

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2024, 04:07:31 PM »
I guess if it makes us feel any better, Toledo has won the MAC regular season title 4 straight years and has lost in the tourney every year.  They've went to the NIT the last 3, but might be tough this year with the changes & especially losing to Kent St today that hasn't been good this year.  They haven't made the tourney since 1980.