Author Topic: Mens basketball vs OHIO Chrisitain  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Mens basketball vs OHIO Chrisitain
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2023, 08:56:27 AM »
ucfpengbuck, this is very cool, thanks for doing excellent research!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2023, 09:38:03 AM »
     Strong research by ucfpengbuck on a fundamental aspect of YSU basketball.  The facts support questioning
Calhoun’s ability to recruit in the high schools.

Bohannon and Ackuchie are the only high school recruits I can recall who came in as freshmen and stayed four years.

You can add Garrett Covington to that list.

I did this for fun and curiosity .  I really don't think it reflects on Coach Calhoun as bad as it might look.

1. I'm sure I could do the same for all the Horizon league schools and you would find that the guys who transferred out have a similar outcome.  Even a schools like OSU who gets 4 stars.   These guys don't go D2 but they might go another D1 and you never hear of them again(Alonzo Gaffney,luther Muhammad,Justin Ahrens).

2.YSU being a mid-major or a lower mid-major has to recruit a player that might be under the radar or who has an upside down the road and might be a project his first 2 years.   Cheick Traore may be an example of a guy that has nice size and could be a defensive force down low and hopefully add some offense as he matures in the program.   If he's a back up at Chowan then obviously it didn't happen but was it worth a shot ?
On the other hand Josh Irwin had offers from MAC schools.   Saw him play and he was a knock down 3 point shooter with a strong frame and he sat on the bench for 2 years.

3. We have already beat the dead horse of Beeghly and other basketball facilities and Youngstown being in the rust belt .  Has to be some what of a disadvantage.

4.Transfer portal is the way coach C is now going and freshmen are going to sit while 5 year grad guys are getting the minutes which will always lead to an exodus.   Coach needs to win and some feelings might be hurt .

We can criticize coach C in the micro but not sure in the macro.  Program has had winning teams since he took over and a championship which leads to higher expectations after we  the fans get a taste of winning after so many years of mediocracy.   Still worried this present team might be a step back.  Long season to go and hope I'm wrong.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2023, 02:30:57 PM »
Complete remodel coming in April.   Just hope it's done by the next season