Author Topic: Murray State Game Week  (Read 2826 times)

Offline ysu1982

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Murray State Game Week
« on: November 12, 2023, 08:35:59 AM »
Against Murray State YSU should play Brungard at QB. We need to find out if he is the QB for next year or do we have to go the transfer portal. I know one game will not answer the question, but it is a start. I know it is unfair to Davidson and the other seniors might not like it, but it should be done. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:50:19 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Murray State Game Week
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 08:45:03 AM »
Against Murray State YSU should play Brungard at QB. We need to find out if he is the QB for next year or do we have to go the transfer portal. I know one game will not answer the question, but it is a start. I know it is unfair to Davidson and the other seniors might not like it, but it should be done. Thoughts?

Good question. (If you do not mind I am going to use it to start the MSU game week thread). No, Brungard is not the man. We need to be looking to play further down the roster unless our guys have used the allowable playing time. Other than that we need to use Davidson. This is his team and a little respect and gratitude goes a long way with the younger players. Brungard has and will continue to contribute to this team.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:49:56 AM by IAA Fan »

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 09:04:48 AM »

If all the coaching staff wants to do is to ask him to run the ball every time he gets on the field, there is all I need to know. Apparently, they must have decided that he is not going to our next guy. Just my 2 cents worth.

We need to a transfer QB via the portal, whether Philips wants or not. It’s a necessity. Think about it, what would our running game be like last couple of years  if we haven’t gotten McLauglin to transfer in. Do we really believe #1 could have done it?

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 09:18:13 AM »
Ironically, despite my initial reaction, the penguins are still in playoff contention with a win based on a lot of the games needed to go our way going our way yesterday. It is a highly likely situation that ysu is in with a win on Saturday... so I would play Mitch. He has the best odds of delivering the win for the playoff push

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 09:18:43 AM »
Yes ET. What do you think about #10? What has happened to him the last few games? Maybe a hidden injury? Or has #1 improved that much?

Offline No. 1 Tailgater

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 09:30:07 AM »
YO completely agree. There is a good chance to get in. You put your best team on the field and play your best game in KY.  Others in out conference play each other and there will be losses. We will see next Sunday.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 12:53:14 PM »
I thought he did well, other than yesterday!

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 02:39:49 PM »

Not only would it be unfair to Davidson and the seniors, but for this entire fan base. You still have a true path to the playoffs, although yesterday put a bit of a damper on that path, so you must put your best players out there to give us the absolute best chance of winning.

The QB issue can be addressed in the offseason.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2023, 02:43:19 PM »
Like any other game you start your best and play to win. Mitch is the best qb at this point. The other qbs, can get their playing time at the end of a blowout win by us.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 07:10:57 PM »
Yes ET. What do you think about #10? What has happened to him the last few games? Maybe a hidden injury? Or has #1 improved that much?

Honestly, I thought the coaches felt that they are obligated to put in #1 since he has been around for so many years without much playing time.
In their minds, it is projected not a big drop off between the two. However, I totally disagree. If you watch them run, #10 has the ability to change directions quickly and find the opening and On the other hand, #1 would to run at the predetermined hole without the ability or the vision to change directions. 

Since #10 only got to run on every other series, he lost the continuity and the feel of the game. His output has hence decreased.

I could be wrong…..
but since you posted the questions….

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 07:38:36 AM »
Win against a hapless Murry st team will do nothing for our playoff chances.  Our defense sucks so we will never blow them out let alone win.   We are on the road and we tend to struggle on the road period. Murry st is much better at home and like you don't think they want a win.  If and only if we win there will be no postseason for us again due to the fact we have lost to the top 3 teams in the standings this year.  Those are facts.  No playoffs which means more weight room time for the team.   That means more right now than making the playoffs and getting beat on the road.  You can either agree or disagree I don't care .

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2023, 09:18:32 AM »
Like any other game you start your best and play to win. Mitch is the best qb at this point. The other qbs, can get their playing time at the end of a blowout win by us.

I am 100% in agreement. You just don't suddenly diminish that way. Medical or psychological. We are Youngstown, we run the ball. Everyone knows it, but no one can stop it.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2023, 09:33:40 AM »

I am 100% in agreement. You just don't suddenly diminish that way. Medical or psychological. We are Youngstown, we run the ball. Everyone knows it, but no one can stop it.

SDSU stopped it

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2023, 11:26:40 AM »
Last game of the season and a must win for a playoff look on the bottom of a bubble.

1. I'm wondering why Brungard is not the QB of the future?? sh** this kid has not had the chance to show anything but run when everybody and Stevie Wonder knows it. I'm no talent scout but in spring ball he looked the best out of all I seen.

2. The Guins are still too small to play in the MVFC i.e. compete with the x-Dakota's and UNI. The eye test and diminishing stats show it to be fact. Davidson is a delusional or total team player to make an asinine comment like we are as big, strong and fast as SDSU.. Fast?? maybe/ but I saw receivers wide open cause DB couldn't run with them. How many penguins were pummeled and laying on the turf by getting smashed by superior size and strength.  Size does matter. Hell, Indy state was pushing the Guins around in the trenches. Can't run between the tackles when the O-line is pinched down and stood up. USD was beating the O-line all game with a 3-man rush.

3. Coaching staff.. wowsa. not too stellar.. I blame the AD.  Cheap Local talent gets you that product.

4. Schedule.. Need to get rid of the weenie games "IF" keeping the $$ game. Being 7-4 would be a lot better beating a name brand 1FCS team or two instead of Jerry's kids and the blind center. finishing in the conference 5-3 is a killer.

5. Referees!! Wowsa.. The bad non-calls are what was killers. SDSU had plenty of calls against them but not enough. The TD pass I heard the whistle as the ball was snapped (26 rows up in section 3). The SDSU guy slowed their aggression..

6. YSU student and fan base sucks can't say it any nicer. We have the faithful (me) and a few hundred in the tailgate lot. other than that, it's wishy washy and the invention of ESPN Plus is killing the casual fan at the gate.

7. Murray State is not hapless. We'll find out "IF" this team wants to be in or not by what they look like Saturday. 

GooooGuins!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2023, 01:37:54 PM »

SDSU stopped it

It has been a few weeks now.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 04:08:09 PM by IAA Fan »