YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

2023 Football: Constructive Criticism and Compliments

(1/6) > >>

IAA Fan:
I thought that I would begin this thread. Note that I used the words "Constructive" and "Compliments" in the title. Anyone can attack, and I know how angry we all are after yesterday's excuse for a football game. It certainly is difficult to find positive things to say. However, we are fans and this is our team, so let's make some quality replies.

IAA Fan:
I have so many things to talk about, this will be a short winter :) LOL The two things I wanted to start with are:

1. For the people that think a small handful of players is the gap between YSU and the upper-half of the conference. Think again. We need about 8 players (starting O and D only) just to field a team. I skipped WR's and #2's in my calculations there. We are at the end of an era here . We lose our QB, top WR, Both TBs, our top DE and DB, two on the O-Line and one on the D-line. Again these are only starters.

2. This year's play-off. There is still a chance that we see the play-off for this year. Do we want to accept any offer, or refuse it?  Part of me does not want to waste the money. Traveling is so expensive. Also those of you that think we may draw a bottom-feeder need to realize this. Compared to most of the upper halves of the brackets ... WE are the bottom-feeder. The other part of me wants to give the team some post-season exposure for future seasons. Just not sure.

The YO Show:
I didn't know you could refuse an offer to be included in the playoffs outside the SWAC, MEAC or Ivy.

If YSU gets in the playoffs we should play

Double ET:
Yes, we are still missing a few critical pieces for this team to be competitive in the upper half of the conference.

We have some pretty decent players. Unfortunately, we don’t have to coaches who could properly devise sound offensive and defensive schemes to allow the players to play in a system that will allow them to be successful.
Combining that with the lack of well designed plays and poor play calling, obviously, we were unable to compete.

Did our coaches really think other teams did not scout us such that every time #12 got on the field, all he did was to put his head down and run?

We need to get D-1 coaches going forward. If we can’t afford them, join another conference if we want to be in the playoff.

It is a business decision. Give the people a product that they want to buy. It takes investment (money) to make money. Otherwise, our stadium will continue to be empty without the ability to generate the revenues to fund the program. But, the athletic department will continue to complain that we have limited resources to get things done.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: The YO Show on November 12, 2023, 09:20:23 AM ---I didn't know you could refuse an offer to be included in the playoffs outside the SWAC, MEAC or Ivy.

If YSU gets in the playoffs we should play

--- End quote ---

Actually, any team from those three conferences can certainly go to the play-off ... and has. We have played them. Even after the MEAC/SWAC Challenge was created. As far as I know (And I have no facts) any refusal is an individual decision. The Ivy League itself made the decision to not allow football after a certain date. This was supposedly for academic reasons & also the importance of the Ivy League Championship.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version