YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

2023 Football: Constructive Criticism and Compliments

<< < (6/6)

Double ET:

--- Quote ---Rushing defense is improved and we played Ohio State in there too

--- End quote ---
Agree.

In comparison to last year, #3 and #23 have been very active and effective in filling the gap in defending the run. The front four have also improved in stopping the run. Unfortunately, they still had a tendency of either missing some critical tackles or in stopping the runs around the outside edge.

Our defensive problems have always been centered on our inability to put pressure on the opposite QB in the passing situation (especially against taller QBs who could throw over the DL). (We did well against the 5’9” QB from SIU).

In my view, the defensive scheme has been inadequate for last year and this year (i.e. this year, in one of the home game, we tried to cover the best conference receiver one on one for the entire game resulting in a career day for the guy).  I would have thought the dc.would double up on the guy after half time. No, he didn’t…..

jcrum918@gmail.com:
Just one thought. One reason it has been harder to recruit since heacock is all these years we barely miss the playoffs. Tressel used to sell the kids that every year we compete for a championship.  That is a harder sell since we have not made the playoffs. If playoffs are an option NEVER decline. That will help this program immensely which is one reason it irritates methatwe barely miss the playoffs often going back to the early 2000's.

YSUGO:
About every team has lit us up with the passing game. Of course the rushing D has improved due to teams passing at will.  This team needs more than 2 players on each side of the ball to be a top 1 or 2 geam in the conference.  You are losing your 2 best players on offense and I think your TE and a RB are Seniors.  Is Davidson getting a 6th year.  If not QB is a big problem. Big problem.  Let’s hope we get a bid this year

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version