Author Topic: Missouri State Week  (Read 3151 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Missouri State Week
« on: October 23, 2023, 09:07:44 AM »
Penguins have another home game! Also another must win for playoff hopes. Penguins should be favored, but that doesn't mean a thing in this league. Need to be tough and get the win.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Missouri State Week
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 12:51:52 PM »
agreed!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 07:06:12 AM »
They have won 2 league games this year.  Our defense stinks so i expect a game from them.  All games are going to be tough because our defense is so poor.   One game we shined and it got everyone's hopes up.  In league play we are giving up well over 30 pts a game.  We need to outscore opponents rest of season because the defense will not get fixed this far into season for sure.  I predict a 45-31 score this Saturday against Missouri state in favor of us.  My predictions only.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 07:45:58 AM »
I am getting sick of everyone thinking we can lose to SDSU and still make the play-off. You can tell the announcers and media think the same. We have a poor schedule strength. We have 2 good teams and two medium teams on our schedule. Good teams will be in strong consideration for the post-season. Medium teams are nothing but spoilers. We have lost to both of our medium teams this year, with none remaining. We have beat one good team, with one more on our schedule. WE CANNOT LOSE A SINGLE GAME. THIS INCLUDES SDSU. I mean just how many play-off teams do you think are coming from one conference?

South Dakota State    7-0
South Dakota           6-1
Northern Iowa    4-3
North Dakota State 5-2
Southern Illinois    5-2
-------------------------------------
Illinois State           4-3
North Dakota          4-3
YSU                         4-3

If the play-off was now, the MVFC MAY go 5-deep, but not likely. However, everyone on the top goes. Those below do not. If they go 4-deep from the MVFC, then UNI drops down to play spoiler, which they did against YSU. I suspect UNI and SIU will each lose a minimum of one remaining game. If that happens UNI is out, but SIU is still in. That gives us a strong chance if we win out. Not go 3-1, but 4-0 beginning last Saturday. We have one game down and 3 more to go. So let's go Guins. Just concentrate on the task at hand!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 10:27:31 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 09:32:30 AM »
They have won 2 league games this year.  Our defense stinks so i expect a game from them.  All games are going to be tough because our defense is so poor.   One game we shined and it got everyone's hopes up.  In league play we are giving up well over 30 pts a game.  We need to outscore opponents rest of season because the defense will not get fixed this far into season for sure.  I predict a 45-31 score this Saturday against Missouri state in favor of us.  My predictions only.

45-31 sounds about right for this weeks game. They average around 33 so I am thinking 45-35 unless by some miracle there are some positive changes in our defense. We better aim for 45+ against SDSU because they might hang 50 on our D.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 01:14:12 PM »
I am getting sick of everyone thinking we can lose to SDSU and still make the play-off. You can tell the announcers and media think the same. We have a poor schedule strength. We have 2 good teams and two medium teams on our schedule. Good teams will be in strong consideration for the post-season. Medium teams are nothing but spoilers. We have lost to both of our medium teams this year, with none remaining. We have beat one good team, with one more on our schedule. WE CANNOT LOSE A SINGLE GAME. THIS INCLUDES SDSU. I mean just how many play-off teams do you think are coming from one conference?

Northern Iowa    4-3
North Dakota State 5-2
Southern Illinois    5-2

If the play-off was now, the MVFC MAY go 5-deep, but not likely. However, everyone on the top goes. Those below do not. If they go 4-deep from the MVFC, then UNI drops down to play spoiler, which they did against YSU. I suspect UNI and SIU will each lose a minimum of one remaining game. If that happens UNI is out, but SIU is still in. That gives us a strong chance if we win out. Not go 3-1, but 4-0 beginning last Saturday. We have one game down and 3 more to go. So let's go Guins. Just concentrate on the task at hand!!!

IAA Fan,
I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, there are 9 games left among the eight teams that you listed from the conference. We are involved in only one of those contests. There are 5 games left among your top five teams. The conference standings could look very different at the end of the season.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 02:18:00 PM »

Northern Iowa    4-3
North Dakota State 5-2
Southern Illinois    5-2

IAA Fan,
I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, there are 9 games left among the eight teams that you listed from the conference. We are involved in only one of those contests. There are 5 games left among your top five teams. The conference standings could look very different at the end of the season.

Wick you beat me to it, I agree.

Too many things can still happen, let's just go game to game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 03:45:03 PM »
I agree on playing each game, I just want to be sure our goal is to win EVERY remaining game.  At 8-3, with wins over two top-5 opponents, there is no discussion .. we are in and home for the duration.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 07:43:17 PM »
IAA I totally agree.  We have to win out including SDSU.WE MUST WIN THE REMAINING GAMES.   PERIOD.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 07:46:32 PM »
Right now we are 29th in the coaches poll and 24 in the stats poll.   Not looking good. See this is why we need to beat SDSU AT HOME.   

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 05:54:28 AM »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 04:27:30 PM »
How many damn missed tackles are we going to have?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2023, 06:30:01 PM »
Looks like we get a lot more posts when we lose. 

Nice to get a win.  Would like to see the D play better and maybe stop throwing the ball on 3rd and one.

Can't say enough about Mitch Davidson going from walk on to a potential 1st team MVFC.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2023, 07:00:20 PM »
Looks like we get a lot more posts when we lose. 

Nice to get a win.  Would like to see the D play better and maybe stop throwing the ball on 3rd and one.

Can't say enough about Mitch Davidson going from walk on to a potential 1st team MVFC.

Good win.

We lost the momentum when we got conservative and they almost caught up. Did we even complete a pass to Oliver in the second half?

I am still in the opinion that if we started Davidson last season instead of waiting till the fourth game, we could very well have been in the playoff with a record better than 7-4.

One bad play ( interception in the end zone) sealed the fate for MSU. It turned the momentum back to us.

I hope we can win game without having to score 40+ points. I don’t know if that is sustainable against better teams.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2023, 07:17:19 PM »
Nice win, we did what we had to do. D just is not where it needs to be, moments of looking good but still needs to step up. O looked good for most of the game but some of the play calls drive me crazy. Couple of times 3rd and 1 and we pass, especially the last time near the end of the game where we needed to be running time off the clock. No run game to speak of.

Zebras were very very bad. Did not favor one team over the other, spread their ineptness to both teams. Not sure what they get paid but it is too much.