Author Topic: Illinois State Week  (Read 6052 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Illinois State Week
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2023, 01:32:29 PM »
I'm sorry, but Phillips has had plenty of ample time to turn the program around period. Let's all stop Using that excuse of the covid year everybody had it. Defense was pathetic and I see it not getting any better.  we need a new defensive coordinator a new scheme, or something.
we are in the middle of the 3rd season.  His handicap is that he stated with NOTHING.  It's a complete rebuild.  Listen to Mark Farley's comments about YSU.  He said that since Phillips has arrived Youngstown has returned to looking like a Missouri Valley team.  He said that it's been several years since we've had the players to match up.  He also said that YSU has this"will" about them to win games like we did in years past.

The roster is young. The guy has had 2 seasons, one of which was abbreviated. He's in the midst of his 3rd year and we are ready to fire him?  He doesn't even have his full roster playing yet. 

I find these kinds of remarks unfair and incoherent.  Name someone that would be a better replacement that we could get on our budget. 

If we doesn't win in year 5, then you can get critical.  What he and the team need is support. 

Look at the improvement in the national statistics.  You think Pelini was great?  He sucked at recruiting, which is 85% of the way you win.  He used Wolford's recruits to win and then the sharp drop off came because his recruiting sucked ass.

Games in the Missouri Valley Football Conference are not going to always go as you think.  People are ridiculous.

Unbelievable. 

Who fired a coach after 3 years when significant progress is being made.

We have inexperienced coaches and inexperienced players.  That can be fixed.  As I've stated before, donate to the program for better assistant coaches if you want to see that kind of change.  The head coach is doing a fine job.  But it's ultimately up to the kids to clean up the critical penalties.
DITTO!!

I was the same as Pride, but when I remembered Phillips had no games his first season, I decided to hold back another season before calling for some more serious action. The lack of consistency really bother's me though. It really seems like basic adjustments send us for a loop.

Now some good and bad from the ILS game. The left corner (#2 or 3 I think) seemed to make an effort to keep an eye on the ball & twice he made brilliant plays on the ball and stopped receptions in the end-zone. #1 is becoming more productive as they are keying on #10, but we cannot just switch. we need to have some plays designed for both backs to be in there. We have to stop being so obvious in our changes to run the ball. (ie: shifting the TE's and using Brungard, etc.). We need to focus more on open parts of the field. Send those TE's out over the middle and hit them with some passes. Simple post route will do. Saturday the middle of the field was open most of the first 3 quarters

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois State Week
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2023, 06:16:32 PM »
One more thing......Pelini also created a recruiting issue when YSU got hit with NCAA violations.  It cut scholarships.  Don't forget that.

Thanks Pelini.