Author Topic: Illinois State Week  (Read 5950 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois State Week
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2023, 10:27:58 AM »
I'm sorry, but Phillips has had plenty of ample time to turn the program around period. Let's all stop Using that excuse of the covid year everybody had it. Defense was pathetic and I see it not getting any better.  we need a new defensive coordinator a new scheme, or something.
we are in the middle of the 3rd season.  His handicap is that he stated with NOTHING.  It's a complete rebuild.  Listen to Mark Farley's comments about YSU.  He said that since Phillips has arrived Youngstown has returned to looking like a Missouri Valley team.  He said that it's been several years since we've had the players to match up.  He also said that YSU has this"will" about them to win games like we did in years past.

The roster is young. The guy has had 2 seasons, one of which was abbreviated. He's in the midst of his 3rd year and we are ready to fire him?  He doesn't even have his full roster playing yet. 

I find these kinds of remarks unfair and incoherent.  Name someone that would be a better replacement that we could get on our budget. 

If we doesn't win in year 5, then you can get critical.  What he and the team need is support. 

Look at the improvement in the national statistics.  You think Pelini was great?  He sucked at recruiting, which is 85% of the way you win.  He used Wolford's recruits to win and then the sharp drop off came because his recruiting sucked ass.

Games in the Missouri Valley Football Conference are not going to always go as you think.  People are ridiculous.

Unbelievable. 

Who fired a coach after 3 years when significant progress is being made.

We have inexperienced coaches and inexperienced players.  That can be fixed.  As I've stated before, donate to the program for better assistant coaches if you want to see that kind of change.  The head coach is doing a fine job.  But it's ultimately up to the kids to clean up the critical penalties.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2023, 10:49:05 AM »
This is the coaches 4th year and most of the players playing have a lot of experience some in 5th year. These excuses aren’t supported by the facts.  Just as his saying how good our defense was coming into the season.  Worst defense since Wolford.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2023, 11:27:38 AM »
This is the coaches 4th year and most of the players playing have a lot of experience some in 5th year. These excuses aren’t supported by the facts.  Just as his saying how good our defense was coming into the season.  Worst defense since Wolford.

You are incorrect.  He was hired February of 2020.  This is the 3rd season under Phillips not the 4th. 

The AD would have helped him if he would have let Pelini go in October of 2019 because he could have recruited better for 2020. But that wasn't the case.  He was hired in February  two days after signing day.  Therefore, he didn't have time to evaluate talent and recruit to it
  He was hired AFTER the signing period in 2020.  That's a huge handicap.  Then he has his season cancelled.  So you have a coach that hasn't coached a game in 2020 that got hired AFTER signing day and then had his first season delayed by cowards that cancelled the football season and pushed it to 2021. 

He hasn't even finished coaching season #3 and people want to fire him? 

Look at the f***ing roster!   It's a 180.  Get your facts straight.  I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt when it comes to him coaching season #3.  It's technically #2 based on the hiring date.  He needs to be able to make the team his own before you pass judgement.  I could argue he's in season #2.
 It's not his own roster yet. Far from it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 11:29:40 AM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2023, 11:31:22 AM »
Phillips was hired February 7th 2020.

Signing day was February 5th 2020.

No season was played in the fall of 2020.  It was played in 2021.  Not a problem for established programs.  This guy didn't get that benefit.  And the roster was uncompetitive

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2023, 12:07:38 PM »
We were 2-6 in conference in 2019.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2023, 12:10:35 PM »
Most programs that hire a new coach are good after 3 years.  Time to start thinking about how irrelevant we are when it comes time to get a playoff spot.  Only SDSU is the next game we won't be favored in.  No hiccups against the others but with our d I really cannot see us blowing anyone out rest of season.   We typically struggle against MSU.  Remember last time we lost to them knocking us out of playoffs.   Remember.

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2023, 12:22:38 PM »
We played two seasons in 2021. The conference-only spring season and then the full fall season. Add in 2022 and now 2023, this is the 4th season for Phillips.

Big win by YSU yesterday. This league is deep and tough. UND getting shut out by UNI and USD (and UNI for that matter) struggling vs INSU proves that point. Yes we will be favored in 3 of last 4, but we better bring our "A" game each week or else one of these teams can upset you.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2023, 12:30:46 PM »
IntheYo makes alot of sense. 

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2023, 01:35:31 PM »
I agree with in the yo.  Keep making progress and we will be fine. Very important win today.  Realistically our d did not play well by any means this week however ISU is very good and #2 played phenomenal.  Many of his catches were well defended and he made great plays.  He was a playmaker In this game.   We need to take care of business now and we will have a good shot at playoffs.  Let get out to Stambaugh and support the guins.  Go guins.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2023, 02:32:37 PM »
Fan turnout sucks big-time. I have heard all the excuses, team deserves better.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2023, 07:42:39 PM »
We played two seasons in 2021. The conference-only spring season and then the full fall season. Add in 2022 and now 2023, this is the 4th season for Phillips.

Big win by YSU yesterday. This league is deep and tough. UND getting shut out by UNI and USD (and UNI for that matter) struggling vs INSU proves that point. Yes we will be favored in 3 of last 4, but we better bring our "A" game each week or else one of these teams can upset you.

6 games? We are counting 6 games?  That's practically a playoff run

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2023, 07:49:30 PM »
I'm sorry, but Phillips has had plenty of ample time to turn the program around period. Let's all stop Using that excuse of the covid year everybody had it. Defense was pathetic and I see it not getting any better.  we need a new defensive coordinator a new scheme, or something.
we are in the middle of the 3rd season.  His handicap is that he stated with NOTHING.  It's a complete rebuild.  Listen to Mark Farley's comments about YSU.  He said that since Phillips has arrived Youngstown has returned to looking like a Missouri Valley team.  He said that it's been several years since we've had the players to match up.  He also said that YSU has this"will" about them to win games like we did in years past.

The roster is young. The guy has had 2 seasons, one of which was abbreviated. He's in the midst of his 3rd year and we are ready to fire him?  He doesn't even have his full roster playing yet. 

I find these kinds of remarks unfair and incoherent.  Name someone that would be a better replacement that we could get on our budget. 

If we doesn't win in year 5, then you can get critical.  What he and the team need is support. 

Look at the improvement in the national statistics.  You think Pelini was great?  He sucked at recruiting, which is 85% of the way you win.  He used Wolford's recruits to win and then the sharp drop off came because his recruiting sucked ass.

Games in the Missouri Valley Football Conference are not going to always go as you think.  People are ridiculous.

Unbelievable. 

Who fired a coach after 3 years when significant progress is being made.

We have inexperienced coaches and inexperienced players.  That can be fixed.  As I've stated before, donate to the program for better assistant coaches if you want to see that kind of change.  The head coach is doing a fine job.  But it's ultimately up to the kids to clean up the critical penalties.
DITTO!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2023, 11:27:40 PM »
Attendance is disappointing given it was homecoming this last game. More people tailgating than actually came to the game.

I do think if they were 5-1 though they would have better attendance at the same time.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2023, 07:23:24 AM »
Fan turnout sucks big-time. I have heard all the excuses, team deserves better.

It's sad because most would rather watch the OSU game.  Its unfortunate that many "fans" loyalties lie with a team 3 hours away that they have no association with rather then the team within their own community or even their alma mater.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2023, 09:17:33 AM »
The dedicated fans were there. The casual fans were at home watching us on ESPN+ or watching OSU. Casual fans consider sports to be a television show and not a participatory event. They might come to the stadium on rare occasions but not when it is cold or damp. This will not change. Being fixated on attendance just reduces your enjoyment of the games.