Author Topic: SIU Week  (Read 6540 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SIU Week
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2023, 08:21:27 PM »
Still have to finish the season with a playoff selection and we are so close to being good.   He needs to clean house of the D Coordinator and possibly the O Coordinator if we don't make the playoffs .  We don't even play NDSU this year so we have a chance.   Go Guins!!!!

SDSU>NDSU this year.  We will see how we do against SDSU.  He's still building the program.  We've gotten better every year. He started with nothing, because Pelini left him with NOTHING.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2023, 09:17:45 PM »
I don't disagree but he would have had 5 years to turn it around and what do we have to show for it. 0 playoffs.   He must use the portal more Iike the men's basketball team has.   Cannot disagree with that.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2023, 09:41:15 AM »
I don't disagree but he would have had 5 years to turn it around and what do we have to show for it. 0 playoffs.   He must use the portal more Iike the men's basketball team has.   Cannot disagree with that.

He's implementing a developmental program.  Most of the kids aren't ready out of highschool but they have potential.  We play in the most difficult conference.  I happen to agree with his approach.  Like novacaine, it takes time but always works.

I think it would be helpful to get 1 or 2 more players on each side of the ball.  Like one more excellent offensive lineman and one more skill player on offense.  If we had 4 more game changers we would win a title.  Right now we are far more improved and we are playing better.  We are a top 15 if not a top 10 FCS team at this point.  Forget the pundits, they know nothing.  What matters most is the trend, and we are trending up with major shifts within the conference too.   

We are built to go far in the playoffs, but we don't control the politics there.  Considering that we've never made it unless we finish in the top 2 of the conference going back 20 years, including being left out in year with 8 wins, we have to be better than everyone else.  In 2016 we were the last ones in, had to go in the road and beat everyone in our way to the championship.  The bias is real and it's another challenge we have to deal with that other media darlings don't have to deal with, but it makes us better and ensures that our playoff record is outstanding.  That's the side benefit of higher standardsnset for YSU. 

And our conference commissioner is weak and doesn't help us, although she gives us lip service that she does. 

It is what it is. We have the proof to show everyone.  How did Delaware make it last year losing their last 3-4 games while we won ours?  How do we not make it when we had an FBS win and a 7 win record? That sh** has happened for years. 

Time to accept a higher bar.  If we get in this year we will do damage.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2023, 12:22:04 PM »
Awesome performance by the defense and offense.  Missed fg and we would have performed in all phases of rhe game.  We should be ranked in top 20 now. Cannot believe that they were ranked 5th.
I think they got a piece of that FG. It was right at an angle that I could not see it. Did anyone else see?

UNI is not a tough program. Go on ESPN+ and watch the replay. I cannot believe they beat ISU Blue and that is the second-worst team in the conference.

I too still believe that Phillips needs to go after this year without anything substantial. This SIU game is not enough. That UNI loss was really hard to take. I really thought that would set the tone. Same at coach Day in Columbus. If you do not beat Michigan in 3 years ...take a hike. I know this is Phillips first year against UNI, but this game had so much riding on it. Phillips has changed things from coach P, but the results are not there. I do like his RBs, I like his QB and so many other players, but I am not sure that Phillips planned for just how good Davidson and some of these other players turned out to be.. I mean he could not stop talking about Dre's size & it turned out to be nothing. Rushton's catching skills are where he is at as a Penguin.

Also look at how long SIU kept our offense from scoring up until very late in the game.

Also I think I deleted a post just before this one. Sorry it was a mistake, I thought I was deleting my post.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 12:41:12 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2023, 12:35:43 PM »
Awesome performance by the defense and offense.  Missed fg and we would have performed in all phases of rhe game.  We should be ranked in top 20 now. Cannot believe that they were ranked 5th.
I think they got a piece of that FG. It was right at an angle that I could not see it. Did anyone else see?

UNI is not a tough program. Go on ESPN+ and watch the replay. I cannot believe they beat ISU Blue and that is the second-worst team in the conference.

I too still believe that Phillips needs to go after this year without anything substantial. This SIU game is not enough. That UNI loss was really hard to take. I really thought that would set the tone. Same at coach Day in Columbus. If you do not beat Michigan in 3 years ...take a hike. I know this is Phillips first year against UNI, but this game had so much riding on it.

Also look at how long SIU kept our offense from scoring up until very late in the game.

Also I think I deleted a post just before this one. Sorry it was a mistake, I thought I was deleting my post.

Wonder what happened to  my post!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2023, 02:26:55 PM »

I too still believe that Phillips needs to go after this year without anything substantial. This SIU game is not enough. That UNI loss was really hard to take. I really thought that would set the tone. Same at coach Day in Columbus. If you do not beat Michigan in 3 years ...take a hike. I know this is Phillips first year against UNI, but this game had so much riding on it.

Wonder what happened to  my post!

My fault Guinpen. I was quoting someone and quoted yours by mistake. I thought I was only deleting  my response and delete the whole thing.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2023, 02:33:45 PM »
Yes UNI really struggled against ISU blue. The game was about even. Then ISU threw an INT in the endzone and UNI took over. ISU forced a punt, but then ISU threw another INT in the very next series. ISU really outplayed UNI, they were just not quite as disciplined.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2023, 04:18:53 PM »

I too still believe that Phillips needs to go after this year without anything substantial. This SIU game is not enough. That UNI loss was really hard to take. I really thought that would set the tone. Same at coach Day in Columbus. If you do not beat Michigan in 3 years ...take a hike. I know this is Phillips first year against UNI, but this game had so much riding on it. Phillips has changed things from coach P, but the results are not there. I do like his RBs, I like his QB and so many other players, but I am not sure that Phillips planned for just how good Davidson and some of these other players turned out to be.. I mean he could not stop talking about Dre's size & it turned out to be nothing. Rushton's catching skills are where he is at as a Penguin.

You have zero credibility here with your stance on Philips.  Why?  Because you were in full support of Heacock for many years. He got us to the playoffs once or twice.  And he inherited a loaded team under Tressel. 

Phillips was given an empty cupboard.  He inherited nothing.  Don't you think that's hypocritical?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2023, 06:13:41 PM »
I am not looking for credibility to begin with, but I have never said that I expect Phillips to make the post season (this year) to keep his job. I do expect something substantial. A victory over UNI was a clear expectation for me, as I know how poor I think that the Panthers are. Now the win over SIU was another game that I expected, and I got my wish; but that is still not substantial. He still has a few games to prove himself.

I still support Jon Heacock and Shane Montgomery to this day. Heacock gave us hugely entertaining games and an extremely competitive team; this despite being strapped down with playing "Tressel Football". I mean come one, even Tressel himself never played that style of offense at OSU. Heacock left only one year after changing offenses, which he should not have done. He should have stuck around for a few more years to see how it would have worked. Better yet, he should have changed the offense earlier and he would still be here today, or at least retiring. I have been saying the same thing about Phillips, as he is a Tressel hire and he is playing Tressel ball once again (for the most part). But this is 4-years. Montgomery needs no justification, his success at YSU was massive. Despite this, YSU did not give him the team.

Secondly, we dumped Eric Wolford after about this same time & he had some decent players as well. I respect how Phillips rebuilt our lines, where Wolford basically told most of our defense to "get lost". However, after that early debacle, Wolf really did nothing to deserve losing his job, aside from being here when Pelini was looking for work.

As to me being hypocritical ... no I do not feel so. If you think that Phillips has given us even a small fraction of the teams that Jon Heacock gave us (even in his second 4-years), then you have no expectations for improvement. YSU fans no longer have the expectation of playing Tressel ball, they just want to win at any cost. Just look how Pelini raped our team but people still loved him because he won. BTW: Tressel never won the conference & he had his backside handed to him by GA Southern in his final game as a Penguin, so just how truly-full was the cupboard that he left? Maybe somewhat full for an independent, but not enough food to survive as a Gateway/MVFC club.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 06:17:26 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2023, 09:15:39 PM »
IAA, I am thinking YSU gets another signature win this week against SD, even if it is ugly because we do poorly in domes (hope I'm wrong and it is a clear victory but we will see). If we win out then lose to SDSU, I think we make playoffs at 8-3 and do some damage.

I still like our odds against SDSU if only because this team is hungry, and SDSU is playing us the week after the Dakota Marker game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2023, 08:10:20 AM »
IAA, I am thinking YSU gets another signature win this week against SD, even if it is ugly because we do poorly in domes (hope I'm wrong and it is a clear victory but we will see). If we win out then lose to SDSU, I think we make playoffs at 8-3 and do some damage.

I still like our odds against SDSU if only because this team is hungry, and SDSU is playing us the week after the Dakota Marker game.

Could not agree more. 8-3 YSU (with the right wins) should still be a "lock" for the play-off.  My fear is the SIU coaches "lack of fear" for YSU & what that shows other teams. I mean, we were not able to do anything for much of Q2 and all of Q3 against the Saluki D. Not once, but twice, the SIU coach (still with 2 TDs of a win went for it on 4th and long ...deep in their own territory. He was looking to shake the game loose and saw that we could do nothing. He was absolutely right. We had a missed FG and a made FG. This FG was after we had a great INT and returned it to the 1.5 yard-line. What did we do with it? We kicked a FG from the 4.5 yard-line after being pushed back 3-yards on 3 plays. No fumbles, no penalties... we were just driven back by the obviously stronger Saluki D-line.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2023, 01:01:23 PM »

Could not agree more. 8-3 YSU (with the right wins) should still be a "lock" for the play-off.  My fear is the SIU coaches "lack of fear" for YSU & what that shows other teams. I mean, we were not able to do anything for much of Q2 and all of Q3 against the Saluki D. Not once, but twice, the SIU coach (still with 2 TDs of a win went for it on 4th and long ...deep in their own territory. He was looking to shake the game loose and saw that we could do nothing. He was absolutely right. We had a missed FG and a made FG. This FG was after we had a great INT and returned it to the 1.5 yard-line. What did we do with it? We kicked a FG from the 4.5 yard-line after being pushed back 3-yards on 3 plays. No fumbles, no penalties... we were just driven back by the obviously stronger Saluki D-line.
Not sure what you mean with (with the right wins)  We have 2 now, so assuming we go down to SDSU that requires 5-0 in the balance of the season. Frankly that's pretty optimistic.  I agree with you often but not always. Never further apart than (the obviously stronger saluki d-line)  I couldn't disagree more. First three drives obviously established ysu as superior inside on both sides of the ball.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2023, 03:13:46 PM »

We are built to go far in the playoffs, but we don't control the politics there.  Considering that we've never made it unless we finish in the top 2 of the conference going back 20 years, including being left out in year with 8 wins, we have to be better than everyone else.  In 2016 we were the last ones in, had to go in the road and beat everyone in our way to the championship.  The bias is real and it's another challenge we have to deal with that other media darlings don't have to deal with, but it makes us better and ensures that our playoff record is outstanding.  That's the side benefit of higher standardsnset for YSU. 

And our conference commissioner is weak and doesn't help us, although she gives us lip service that she does. 

It is what it is. We have the proof to show everyone.  How did Delaware make it last year losing their last 3-4 games while we won ours?  How do we not make it when we had an FBS win and a 7 win record? That sh** has happened for years. 

Time to accept a higher bar.  If we get in this year we will do damage.
We did have two home games in the 2016 playoffs.  But yes, two big road wins at Jacksonville State and Eastern Washington.

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2023, 03:23:32 PM »
I am not looking for credibility to begin with, but I have never said that I expect Phillips to make the post season (this year) to keep his job. I do expect something substantial. A victory over UNI was a clear expectation for me, as I know how poor I think that the Panthers are. Now the win over SIU was another game that I expected, and I got my wish; but that is still not substantial. He still has a few games to prove himself.

I still support Jon Heacock and Shane Montgomery to this day. Heacock gave us hugely entertaining games and an extremely competitive team; this despite being strapped down with playing "Tressel Football". I mean come one, even Tressel himself never played that style of offense at OSU. Heacock left only one year after changing offenses, which he should not have done. He should have stuck around for a few more years to see how it would have worked. Better yet, he should have changed the offense earlier and he would still be here today, or at least retiring. I have been saying the same thing about Phillips, as he is a Tressel hire and he is playing Tressel ball once again (for the most part). But this is 4-years. Montgomery needs no justification, his success at YSU was massive. Despite this, YSU did not give him the team.

Secondly, we dumped Eric Wolford after about this same time & he had some decent players as well. I respect how Phillips rebuilt our lines, where Wolford basically told most of our defense to "get lost". However, after that early debacle, Wolf really did nothing to deserve losing his job, aside from being here when Pelini was looking for work.

As to me being hypocritical ... no I do not feel so. If you think that Phillips has given us even a small fraction of the teams that Jon Heacock gave us (even in his second 4-years), then you have no expectations for improvement. YSU fans no longer have the expectation of playing Tressel ball, they just want to win at any cost. Just look how Pelini raped our team but people still loved him because he won. BTW: Tressel never won the conference & he had his backside handed to him by GA Southern in his final game as a Penguin, so just how truly-full was the cupboard that he left? Maybe somewhat full for an independent, but not enough food to survive as a Gateway/MVFC club.

Jon Heacock tanked this program.  Whatever exciting games he had (I will grant you the 2006 playoffs were exciting), the end result was this program was way, and I mean way worse when he left compared to when he took over.

I remember trying to listen to his coach's show on the radio back in the day.  He would just make these lame excuses.  He was painful to listen to.  YSU should have never renewed his contract.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2023, 05:28:39 PM »
 Heacock was saved by a guy called  Marcus Mason.
Wolford would still be here if we had better Asst coaches.
Pelini was saved by the catch, and a guy named Hunte.
Phillips knew the vest and had $$$ behind him.
Schedule is in our favor this year without the Bison.  No excuse

The failure here for all is the AD never found a way to secure more money for the coaches. 
So we got what we paid for garbage in garbage out.

A Penguin for life!!!