Author Topic: Maybe it’s time to realign FCS Conferences and set up playoffs in a BCS format?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Just throwing that out there!  Why not have  the conferences take control and realign in a way where each conference has a championship game to qualify for the FBC championship.  Play the championship games Thanksgiving Weekend  and go with 8—12  teams.  Not sure if the number due to having a realignment.  The winners are seeded by computer and a board with no AD’s use ex coache etc and use computer data.  Maybe pick  a few at large  teams. 

This will get rid of thd good ol boy system. 

Play the championship game in Florida
Find a staduim in the Orlando area  thst seats 20000
Play that game D2 game and D3 game the same weekend and depending on size of staduim your ticket can get all three games

Or The way they have it now it’s  a sham and a program that advances loses money on a Championship run.
I’m just throwing stuff out there because when it comes playoff time the BS playoff committee is a joke.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Go,

With your plan, junk like St. Francis, or Sacred Heart, or Samford will be in the tournament often while the third place team in the MVFC sits home. I agree that the current system is hopelessly corrupt, but it can be salvaged if the NCAA just did two simple things.

First, remove all FCS athletic directors from the selection committee. Staff that committee with five retired football people, preferably from FBS schools with no connections whatsoever to any FCS program.  And pay these five people well.  That committee would select all at-large teams and seed all the participants.

Second, after games of the first week of November, the five-member committee would issue a power rating for all FCS teams with a record of .500 or above.  Everybody would know exactly where they stood. According to the new by-laws, the committee would automatically choose at-large teams for the tournament by going right down that list of power rankings.

These two simple changes would remove ALL corruption and place the best 24 teams in the field (except for the weaklings who attain an automatic bid.)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Better yet remove all humans from the process, spend the money on a laptop with a program that will create a power ranking based on record and SoS. No autobids, you want in, just win and play a good schedule. Simple!

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
All great ideas. I agree about the garbage programs. It’s total BS that their footballl budget can be peanuts and get a chance in the playoffs just like D1 FBS there should be certain criteria from facilities to budgets and schollys to be eligible.

I just feel it makes conferencec play the key and I kinda did this in the fly just to stir debate we can add more at large etc. I just want it more transparent and get out of the good ol boy club.
This crap with thst commiittee been going on for like 30 plus years and it’s a joke. 

From their picks rewarding games and sites
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
I cannot agree with ignoring some of the conferences. We only have one national champion. Great teams are never going to experience the reward of a national title, you have to give them something else to play for. We need to start recognizing other accomplishments. For example Conference champs. I even recommend that they start recognizing the regional winners. ALL conferences (that wish) need to be recognized and participate. I mean the NCAA FCS has 11 conferences that can send teams to the post-season (12 if you include independents). The NCAA has these conferences/teams divided into regions. There are existing breakdowns and they should be used. Each year we should have (and reward):

- Conference champions = 11
- Regional Champions = 4
- National champion = 1

The entire post season should be built around this. Think about it. We could have a flag in Stambaugh that says 2019 "NCAA NE regional champions". After all, that is what we were. You cannot ignore conferences because you think they are weaker than others. After all, recognizing regional and conference champs will increase the quality of recruiting; which in turn strengthens the conference ... and the FBS Division. That, my friends, is what the role of the NCAA should be.

Also, Seeded teams need weaker first-round teams in the play-off. It is these weaker conference teams that should be seeded against them.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 09:51:09 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I cannot agree with ignoring some of the conferences. We only have one national champion. Great teams are never going to experience the reward of a national title, you have to give them something else to play for. We need to start recognizing other accomplishments. For example Conference champs. I even recommend that they start recognizing the regional winners. ALL conferences (that wish) need to be recognized and participate. I mean the NCAA FCS has 11 conferences that can send teams to the post-season (12 if you include independents). The NCAA has these conferences/teams divided into regions. There are existing breakdowns and they should be used. Each year we should have (and reward):

- Conference champions = 11
- Regional Champions = 4
- National champion = 1

The entire post season should be built around this. Think about it. We could have a flag in Stambaugh that says 2019 "NCAA NE regional champions". After all, that is what we were. You cannot ignore conferences because you think they are weaker than others. After all, recognizing regional and conference champs will increase the quality of recruiting; which in turn strengthens the conference ... and the FBS Division. That, my friends, is what the role of the NCAA should be.

Also, Seeded teams need weaker first-round teams in the play-off. It is these weaker conference teams that should be seeded against them.

Don't see that folks would get all twitterpated about a regional championship flag, but I could be wrong. Also do not see where it would help recruiting.

It is not a matter of ignoring any conference, just like it is not a matter of giving preference to another conference. It is all about giving the best 16 schools a chance to determine who is best on the field. Going 11-0 in a weak conference against weak non-conference schools does not mean you deserve to make the top 16. Talk to your AD about beefing up the schedule.

Keep humans out of the equation, perfect application for a computer.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
I do not agree.This entire area is addicted to HS sports. So is Columbus. When I was younger and we walked into a HS gym and it was loaded with banners (conference, district, sectional, state, etc.), it was impressive. You knew that you were facing a powerhouse. I am suggesting the same concept for the FCS/I-AA division. Will it help the upper teams recruit? Probably not if they have national championship banners; but for 90%+ of the teams in FCS (none of which have any national championships), it can mean quite a bit. Recruits do see those things, in a big way. You are an adult watching a storied football team. Recruits are in HS, they do not remember the 1990's. Nor do they care.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 07:55:41 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
I feel quite different AA i was surprised how little coverage there is for high school sports in Columbus. Dispatch stopped even listing scores for any HS sports. Lived here for well over 20 years and have always been disappointed in coverage here. It’s OSU or nothing.

GOOOOO GUINS!!!!!!