Author Topic: Ysu Football 2023  (Read 4801 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Ysu Football 2023
« on: July 10, 2023, 12:51:52 PM »
Been quiet lately on the board.  Less than 2 months and we open season.  Who has transferred in and who has transferred out?  Any scoop?   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 08:10:44 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Yau Football 2023
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 11:03:05 AM »
Anything on YSU football?  6 weeks away until Valpo.  ANYTHING?

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 05:53:31 PM »
I know the board has been quiet, but Twitter has been abuzz with YSU football news (well maybe not news but at least analysis).

The Offensive line looks really good! The QB and WR situation looks really good. Special teams should be good, but we have a new punter and a new kicker this year. Defense should be good! RB is a question mark, but I am optimistic there too.
GO PENGUINS!  fb

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 06:08:00 PM »
I like Davidson at qb and Brungard gives a different dimension.  Rb position is unproven.  Rushton gets his chance to shine and I know they have some young guys who need carries.

Wr is a deep room.  Oliver could be one of the best  at YSU.  Fordham,Tomzak,alexander,and the return of Charleston will allow Davison to have a big season.

TE-  Solid with a few guys who played last season.  Not sure if there is a field stretcher

O-line has 4 of 5 back so they should be real strong.

D-line will be led by Wadke and Fitzgerald.  Not sure who fills the other spots.

LB - Benton returns not sure who else.  Maybe Howard.

Secondary has a ton of experience and should be the strength of the D.

Never heard of any transfers that are projected to come in and play.   Would like to hear from others who have a better feel on the D-line and linebackers.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 06:10:57 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 01:37:52 PM »
Running back from northern Michigan who is like Mclaughlin I believe but that was back in winter I believe so who knows if he is still coming.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 03:07:51 PM »
Running back from northern Michigan who is like Mclaughlin I believe but that was back in winter I believe so who knows if he is still coming.

https://ysusports.com/sports/football/roster/tyshon-king/6688

I normally would not get excited about a rb coming from d2 but Jaleel Mclauglin changed that thinking for me.  Although Jaleel rushed for over 2000 yds at ND college and King went for 900+.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 03:10:09 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 05:21:40 PM »
I doubt we are going to strike lightning in a bottle with transfer from Northern Michigan.  Phillips will be luckier than JT was.  I hope we are evolving our offense to the talent we have.  We can’t hope for the chunk plays Jaleel gave us time after time.  The League has a year of tape on Davidson.  They know his limitations and I’m still not sold that he can win without having a special player at RB like last year.  Then if we are like 2-5 do we scrap him
To see what we have behind hiim.  If he gets injured then what.  Qb is a big concern here. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 02:18:30 PM »
I doubt we are going to strike lightning in a bottle with transfer from Northern Michigan.  Phillips will be luckier than JT was.  I hope we are evolving our offense to the talent we have.  We can’t hope for the chunk plays Jaleel gave us time after time.  The League has a year of tape on Davidson.  They know his limitations and I’m still not sold that he can win without having a special player at RB like last year.  Then if we are like 2-5 do we scrap him
To see what we have behind hiim.  If he gets injured then what.  Qb is a big concern here.

From what I read with all the discussions coming out of the media in Denver, Jaleel has been impressive in camp so far. Many expected him to at least make the practice squad, if not the 53 men active roster. He was drafted mostly because of his 4.3/4.4 40 yards speed.

I guess we need to know what kind of speed this transfer from Northern Michigan has before we really know whether he is another Jaleel. His stat does not indicate his speed from what can find

From what I read, our other un drafted free agent on OL by LA Rams was also impressive in the minicamps.
We now have 5 penguins in NFL preseason camps (Houston, Tennessee, Indy, LA Rams and Denver).

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 07:21:36 AM »
Beau Brungard is the 2nd team or should be.  He is a winner and good runner.  Short though.  Throwing may be an issue with pass rush coming at him.  Hopefully he doesn't have to get thrown into the frying pan this year but most likely will so coaches need to be prepared for that but i think they already know that.  I see only 4 QB'S on the roster.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 09:49:42 AM »
BB has the heart and talent, his height is the wild card. Not facing high school d7 linemen any more.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 09:06:32 PM »
Today was the start of Fall Camp! Any news?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2023, 05:52:44 AM »

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 08:26:22 AM »
Spoke real quick with coach DP at Kid Rock this past weekend in Youngstown. Seems like such a lively and very positive individual. Asked if I was getting pumped up about the season! I think he will have the boys ready to go.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 05:56:31 AM »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2023, 06:16:20 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy - YSU picked #6 in preseason MVFC

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2023/08/ysu-picked-6th-in-mvfc-poll/