Author Topic: YSU basketball  (Read 2892 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU basketball
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 02:42:51 PM »
Sounds like the women have a very competitive schedule with limited travel.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU basketball today’s article on Tribune/Vindy
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 05:58:06 AM »
Youngstown State men’s basketball gets summer workouts underway as trip to Spain awaits

Penguins get summer workouts underway as trip to Spain awaits
LOCAL SPORTS
JUL 13, 2023

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

YOUNGSTOWN — A year ago, plenty of starpower. This year, plenty of depth.

Youngstown State had another busy offseason in the transfer portal, this time assembling a roster that includes just two players from last year’s rotation and nine newcomers.

Such is life these days in college basketball, and the YSU coaching staff says it likes what the portal yielded once again.

“It’s very similar to last year,” YSU coach Jerrod Calhoun said. “We had some specific needs. Obviously this year was a little bigger class. The biggest thing I looked for in the portal was for guys that have won. We certainly have done that. … We’ve got a lot of guys that are used to winning. We wanted to get old, and we’ve got one of the oldest rosters in college basketball.”

Indeed, of the nine new faces, four transfers — Brett Thompson (Tennessee Tech), Bryson Langdon (Northern Kentucky), Ziggy Reid (Merrimack) and DJ Burns (Murray State) are fifth-year seniors, while another, Jaylen Bates (Florida A&M) is a fourth-year senior. EJ Farmer (Toledo) is a junior, while David Wilkerson (JUCO) and Imanuel Zorgvol (NKU) are sophomores.

The Penguins also added freshmen Christian Kirkland, Dante DePante, Gabe Dynes and Anthony Breland.

Burns was part of a 32-win team at Murray State, while Farmer won 27 games at Toledo. Meanwhile, Horizon League journeymen Zorgvol and Langdon have been to the CAA Tournament with the Norse.

“These kids know what winning looks like,” Calhoun said. “They know what a college basketball season is like and how long it is.”

It’s a deep that figures to be deeper than last year’s NIT team, although there may not be as much stardom at the top.

“Last year, we had a lot of star power guys, and this team now, we’re more individualized. We have a lot of different people who do a lot of different things coming together as a team to try and build something that’s going to be special,” said guard Brandon Rush, a starter from a season ago and one of the two returning Penguins. John Lovelace Jr. is the other, and also figures to play heavily into YSU’s mix again.

Rush added, “Right now, it’s kind of hard to tell who would be the starting five because of all the good players we have right now.”

That’s a sentiment Calhoun echoes.

“We got our full roster here, everybody’s healthy. It’s been good early on,” he said. “There are so many guys, and everybody brings something different to the table. I just love our length, our versatility. It’ll be our deepest team we’ve had here, and certainly one of our biggest.”

The group is preparing for a 10-day trip to Europe, as the Penguins will visit Spain beginning July 18 and return July 28. During that time, they’ll play three games. As an added bonus, YSU also will be able to link up with former program star Kendrick Perry, who is playing professionally in Spain.

YSU gets 10 full practices to prepare for the trip, an added bonus and an opportunity to build early chemistry. Teams are allowed to embark on this sort of trip every four years, according to Calhoun.

“It’s been really, really good. You’re learning a lot about each other,” Calhoun said. “We’re going to go to Madrid for two days, and then we’re going to Malaga — it’s actually the same city that Kendrick Perry … plays in over there for their professional team. We’re really excited about this trip.”

While there, YSU will compete against some Spanish pro teams and professional players and will play under FIBA rules. And while the Penguins certainly are looking to compete and win games, it’s the relationships that Calhoun is focusing on in order to get a running start into the 2023-24 campaign.

“I think more importantly than the games, it’s really the camaraderie, the chemistry and getting to know one another,” he said.

jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 06:01:16 PM »
On Twitter is a 1 min 30 second clip of a recent practice for the men's basketball team.  I am Impressed.   They look deep and strong.  Could be a better year than last year I'm thinking.   Check it out on Twitter.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 10:08:01 PM »
On Twitter is a 1 min 30 second clip of a recent practice for the men's basketball team.  I am Impressed.   They look deep and strong.  Could be a better year than last year I'm thinking.   Check it out on Twitter.

It's a cool video.  Was able to figure out who some of the players were but some I had no clue. 

Coach said this is his deepest team but not the star power of last year.

Four years ago when they played in the Virgin islands there was no video but four years prior in the Bahamas all three games were on youtube so I'm hoping maybe someone will video the games in Spain.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 07:24:03 AM »
They are currently in Spain now according to the news.  Lets's hope this trip can get them to JELL more but I think from what I hear they are Jelling really well in summer workouts.  How many games are they going to play in Spain?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 07:28:30 AM »
They are playing 3 games in 9 days.   Madrid and Malaga are the cities.  I think Kendrick Perry plays for a pro team in Malaga.  Says they plan on hooking up with him for a bit.  Any idea on how he is doing playing overseas?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 05:37:05 PM »
YSU beat the Madrid allstars 88-87 in game one of the tour.   Didn't see any other info.

Nice update video of the new players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cg0v5rEtVw

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 10:37:13 PM »
UFCpengbuck where do you get all of this good info?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2023, 01:39:33 PM »
UFCpengbuck where do you get all of this good info?

I was looking on youtube if someone had the YSU vs Spain game and came across the video with Coach C.

Searching for info on the Spain tour has not provided much.

Ysu mens basketball on twitter showed a minute and a half video and the players that scored a few times in the highlights were Rush,E.J. Farmer,B thompson,Lovelace,and Dj Burns.

Guy on instagram said B Rush had 16 points at halftime.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu77t0btMe5/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvAfq2otmC6/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu9ZWviN_Ej/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 01:50:29 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2023, 08:05:03 PM »
Awesome videos.  Thanks

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2023, 03:53:57 PM »
Penguins win in Spain 80 - 74.

7-3 frosh with a slam.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvCgU-btWGL/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 03:54:45 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2023, 04:57:39 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvETlextr7Z/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvE7lvxNiKy/

Couple more videos from the Spain tour.  Penguins go 3-0 in Spain.   Not sure of the competition.   Were these pro teams ?

Don't want to read too much into short highlights but got a little feel of who may be the guys.

Brandon Rush should be the guy this year and he looked like he did some work in Spain.

John Lovelace looked a little stronger and if his perimeter game improves then we'll see him as a contributor.

EJ Farmer was in a ton of highlights.   Thought he was a perimeter guy but he was seen driving a lot in the videos.   Much thicker build then i originally thought.   Looks to be a scorer.

Brett Thompson looks like he may be our starting point guard.   Looks like he has great shooting form and can handle the ball.   Didn't notice Bryson Langdon in the videos but I'm sure with his experience he's going to get a lot of time at the point.

DJ Burns had some inside scoring and he looks bigger than 6-7 220 that he's listed .   Saw Jaylen Bates hit a shot and make a couple of nice passes.   Not sure what his role will be.

Ziggy Reid showed some physical toughness in one highlight and a nice stroke in another.

Zorgval and Dynes were shown very little.   Not sure where they stack up with the others but they are the bigs of the team.

Dante Depante had a what look like a 3 pointer and a strong drive to the basket.   Be curious what his playing time looks like with an experienced roster.

Not sure I saw anything from freshmen Anthony Breland or Christian Kirkland.   Remember they're are short highlights and not sure if I recognize them since they're new.

Coach said that juco David Wilkerson was still coming around from an injury and was a no go in Spain.

It's only July and football is less than 6 weeks away and basketball is still 3 and half months away but the coverage for both has been criickets.   I know the games in Spain were only exhibitions but was hoping the sid dept would have something or the Tribune/Vindy might have a comment.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2023, 06:04:11 PM »
Awesome recap.   Keep it coming.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2023, 06:01:21 AM »
Coach’s Recap for YSU MBB trip to Spain - from today’s Tribune/Vindy

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2023/08/ysus-calhoun-recaps-penguins-team-trip-to-spain/