YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Transfer Portal

<< < (27/31) > >>

IAA Fan:
I noticed that basketball players have become more like football players. Planing to sit out their freshman year (or at least play below the maximum allowable amount). However, what I expect is an  increasing amount of frosh jumping into the portal with these small collegiate resumes, which will soon be the standard path. All the portal has done (for MBB) is shortened Collegiate careers & started kids seeing playing time earlier. This might be a good thing at some point, I mean the intellect of the average athlete is not exactly at the academic scholarship level. We will just have to accept that fewer and the fewer college players will be around for 4-years (in any sport impacted by the portal). Then there will be the large chunk that jump after only a year. Then when they increase the amount of money these kids are paid, college ball will just become a farm system. I would love to see fans more involved in players educations. We should see their schedules, attendance and grade sheets each quarter, just as we see their playing stats now.

YsuPride:
All points are on target with the portal. Remember it is here to stay and looks like we have adapted to it quite well.  Mixture of freshman, Juco, and portal will be needed each and every year to survive.  It is the new way mid-majors survive in this day and age.

ucfpengbuck:
Nice article on new penguin Brett Thompson.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2023/5/22/23731977/brett-thompson-reflects-on-long-journey-that-leads-him-to-youngstown-state-after-tennessee-tech

YsuPride:
Sounds like Thompson has a lot of baggage following him around.  Good thing we only have him for 1 year because he seems to not stick around at one place too often

Penguin Nick:
From YsuPride:  "Sounds like Thompson has a lot of baggage following him around.  Good thing we only have him for 1 year because he seems to not stick around at one place too often"

Anyone who constantly transfers this much has issues.  It seems that every time things don't go his way he looks for the easy way out and transfers. Why isn't he staying at Ten. Tech?  When the transfer portal was ok'd, I thought you could only transfer once for "free?"  After that one time you had to sit out a year.  Now I read that this has changed.  This is garbage, there is no way this guy is getting an education and most likely he is not good enough to play in the NBA, but I'm sure through the years he has been told that he is good enough.  There is no way all the classes he has taken in all his years in higher ed. will transfer.  When his eligibility is up he will have no degree.  Another reason to overhaul the transfer portal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version