YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Still bugs me

(1/4) > >>

guinpen:
Old subject that has been beaten to death but still bugs me.

So many of our old peers, have moved up and done so well. We all know the long list.

Yesterday Appy beats Texas A&M, Marshall beats the Irish and we beat Dayton!

Cimo7:
Absolutely.
So my question is, why not us?

Penquin68:
I think we just do not have the financial resources to go to FBS. Our region is not attracting more companies and thus more families and potential YSU students which is the main driving force for YSU income. Look at Poland schools as just one example of the lack of potential YSU students in our future. Need to work on improving our business climate to get more companies to want to locate here if you want YSU to grow to where we could think about FBS. Look at the trouble Akron U is having and their business climate is better than ours in my opinion. Remember Athletics is a losing proposition at all Ohio Universities except OSU when looking in financial terms.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: Penquin68 on September 11, 2022, 09:54:44 AM ---I think we just do not have the financial resources to go to FBS. Our region is not attracting more companies and thus more families and potential YSU students which is the main driving force for YSU income. Look at Poland schools as just one example of the lack of potential YSU students in our future. Need to work on improving our business climate to get more companies to want to locate here if you want YSU to grow to where we could think about FBS. Look at the trouble Akron U is having and their business climate is better than ours in my opinion. Remember Athletics is a losing proposition at all Ohio Universities except OSU when looking in financial terms.

--- End quote ---

That time has come and gone. We had a chance to get in MAC in 90’s, but the university could not made the financial commitment. So we were not selected.

Now, this valley has lost much of the major industrial companies who might be able to provide $$ to the university to get us there.

With falling enrollment and lack of a committed fan base (looking at the attendance from the first 2 games), there is almost no way for the university to increase the athletic budget to get us into FBS.

We can now only dream.

We now have a better chance to get us into the big dance in our basketball programs.

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: Double ET on September 11, 2022, 10:09:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: Penquin68 on September 11, 2022, 09:54:44 AM ---I think we just do not have the financial resources to go to FBS. Our region is not attracting more companies and thus more families and potential YSU students which is the main driving force for YSU income. Look at Poland schools as just one example of the lack of potential YSU students in our future. Need to work on improving our business climate to get more companies to want to locate here if you want YSU to grow to where we could think about FBS. Look at the trouble Akron U is having and their business climate is better than ours in my opinion. Remember Athletics is a losing proposition at all Ohio Universities except OSU when looking in financial terms.

--- End quote ---

That time has come and gone. We had a chance to get in MAC in 90’s, but the university could not made the financial commitment. So we were not selected.

Now, this valley has lost much of the major industrial companies who might be able to provide $$ to the university to get us there.

With falling enrollment and lack of a committed fan base (looking at the attendance from the first 2 games), there is almost no way for the university to increase the athletic budget to get us into FBS.

We can now only dream.

We now have a better chance to get us into the big dance in our basketball programs.

--- End quote ---
Despite the fact that these teams may pull the occasional upset, they’ll never have true relevance in the FBS world. I like the idea of local rivalries for us  in FBS but besides that I think it’s boring to never have a shot at playoffs or a real championship.

… I just don’t see much of a benefit in moving “up” and being a pretender FBS team like most of the MAC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version