YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Slocum best coach since Peters

(1/3) > >>

PENS16:
After another disappointing season, I have to conclude that Jerry Slocum has been the best YSU hoops coach since Dan Peters. I reviewed the Sagarin Ratings for the last 25 years. In Slocum’s years the Horizon League was ranked so much higher than it is ranked now. It was the 12th highest rated in 2010 and 10th highest rated in 2010. The Horizon is the 24th now. Butler, Loyola of Chicago, Valpo have been replaced by low-ranked teams. Also I’m trying to remember any signature wins in the last 25 years. At the top of my head, I can only think of YSU’s win over NCAA runner-up Butler, their win at Kent State and their win over Georgia on ESPN2. All under Slocum. Slocum also had a budget that was probably half of what Calhoun has had to work with.

guinpen:
Agree that the Horizon is nowhere near the league that it was years ago. One would think that we could be a factor every year since the strength of the league has gone down, but that is not the case. We seem content to be middle of the pack. I understand that times have changed but I still feel that we need to raise the bar on what is expected from our program.

Penguin Nation:
Slightly off topic, among the slim pickings, I’d go with the season KP was a SR as the best season (2012), where the season started with wins at Georgia and GW.

Best game at Beeghly? WVU in ‘81…. Second is the win over Butler. The crowd was raucous.

I’m not going to offer the distinction of “best coach” to any of these underachievers.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
 Agree on all underachievers.  Won't judge Calhoun's body of work until he leaves here.   But the HL was much stronger when Slocum was here, programs like Butler and Valparaiso were very good mid-majors.  Slocum was a lot like Pelini, a jerk.  But Pelini in a class of his own.

Penguin Nation:
Speaking of Butler....and underachievers....

Pelini is a complete and total POS and has damaged the program in every way possible. I always thought the “worst coach” award was safe with Heacock until that Scumbag arrived on campus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version