YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Slocum best coach since Peters

<< < (2/3) > >>

mudclods:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on March 03, 2022, 02:14:31 PM ---Speaking of Butler....and underachievers....

Pelini is a complete and total POS and has damaged the program in every way possible. I always thought the “worst coach” award was safe with Heacock until that Scumbag arrived on campus.

--- End quote ---

Speaking of Pelini, I just saw him in the Boardman Sam's Club tonight

I think Slocum was a better coach than he was given credit for at YSU.  He certainly didn't have the talent in his last years that Calhoun has had.   

ucfpengbuck:
Slocum 12 seasons -139 wins 227 losses  (380%).  Horizon league 62-139 (308%)

Calhoun 5 seasons - 71 wins 81 losses (461%).   Horizon league 45-47 (479%)

I give Slocum some credit since the Horizon League had Butler and Valpo but it seems that todays Horizon has a lot of parity and Calhouns teams can now compete or beat the top teams which with a few exceptions slocum's usually did not.  Slocum had two big wins beating Georgia at Athens  on espn and upsetting Butler during their NCAA runner up season.  Off the top of my head I'm not sure if Calhoun has had that type of win but it's 12 seasons vs 5 so hopefully he'll have one.

Recruiting Slocum had a few marquee players especially in Kendrick perry who might be the best player in the last 20 years at YSU.  Marcus Keene was a great fine but only stayed 2 years and then goes and leads the nation in scoring at Cental Michigan.  Cameron Morse put up some hudge numbers and went for 40 at Toledo which I think was a record for an opponent at Savage hall.

Calhouns recruits in my opinion have been across the board more talented overall.  Darius Quisenberry was on the cusp of being in the same elite status as Kendrick Perry but injuries and transferring out put him behind.  The tranfer portal  wasn't like it is now when Slocum coached but that's a double sided sword.

Culture wise Slocum was old school and wasn't much with the press or the community while Calhoun has embra$$ed this area and there seems to be more access along with facebook and twitter.  His team camp has given NEO potential recruits exposure to YSU.

IAA Fan:
One thing about Slocum, he was very NYC college ball. He liked to find a "short star" and build the team around that player. With all the attention his "studs" got within the conference ...they always stayed around...like Q. SO that is a big difference between he and Calhoun. The conference was definitely much stronger back then. Slocum did focus a bit more recruiting on defense, but Calhoun has more 'firepower'..

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on March 04, 2022, 10:19:37 AM ---
Culture wise Slocum was old school and wasn't much with the press or the community while Calhoun has embra$$ed this area and there seems to be more access along with facebook and twitter. 

--- End quote ---

How has Calhoun embarrassed this area?

Double ET:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on March 04, 2022, 01:54:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on March 04, 2022, 10:19:37 AM ---
Culture wise Slocum was old school and wasn't much with the press or the community while Calhoun has embra$$ed this area and there seems to be more access along with facebook and twitter. 

--- End quote ---

How has Calhoun embarra$$ed this area?

--- End quote ---

I will let ufc explain this one. I read this as the result of a self corrected spelling. I interpret that he has intended to use “ embraced”. Just saying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version