YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Other Sports

<< < (3/3)

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: guinpen on April 27, 2021, 07:52:39 PM ---Congrats to all these athletics and coaches.

So why are these sports able to recruit and convince athletes to come to YSU? Not trying to over simplify things but it is all relative and these sports are competing at a high level.

--- End quote ---

I think one of the answers lies in the fact that these are primarily women's sports. Scholarship money is just becoming more available, with a huge amount of NCAA assistance as compared to men's programs. Secondly, we were once woefully behind in title-IX & now we are catching up and able to attract girls. I think Strollo has done a nice job in getting facilities in place.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on May 01, 2021, 09:44:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: guinpen on April 27, 2021, 07:52:39 PM ---Congrats to all these athletics and coaches.

So why are these sports able to recruit and convince athletes to come to YSU? Not trying to over simplify things but it is all relative and these sports are competing at a high level.

--- End quote ---

I think one of the answers lies in the fact that these are primarily women's sports. Scholarship money is just becoming more available, with a huge amount of NCAA a$$istance as compared to men's programs. Secondly, we were once woefully behind in title-IX & now we are catching up and able to attract girls. I think Strollo has done a nice job in getting facilities in place.

--- End quote ---
You and Strollo, what a bromance!  We have NOT been behind in Title-XI, we would have been put on probation if we didn't follow the rules.  We don't "attract girls," we recruit women.  GET WITH IT 1AA we are 21 YEARS into the 21 century and you are still mired in 1976.  Title-XI has been around 45 years and you and Strollo think it's something new? 

IAA Fan:
I will rephrase, we were woefully behind in women's sports. The only reason that we (along with many other colleges and universities) were not punished was because the NCAA kept pushing out the timelines. It would not surprise me if we had to pay some sort of fines.

YSU offers Basketball, Women’s Basketball and Tennis. These are our headcount sports, thus they are allowed to offer full ride. Now FCS football is NOT a headcount sport. We can divide a maximum of 63 full-ride scholarships up in a variety of ways. Usually it is Academics vs Room & Board... for a total of 126 scholarships.

Titile-IX also requires equality in number & type of scholarships. So we have to come up with female 'equivalents' for about 63 male full-ride scholarships, just to cover our football offerings. Let alone probably 100 more scholarships in other men's sports. This is why so many schools have dropped football or went non-scholarship. Bringing in newly-sanctioned sports is a great idea, as the competition for the athletes is less. Now women's sports have become a strength at YSU.

Also I am proud of your political-correctness go guins. LOL I guess I am just to old to change and too busy to care.

Wick250:
Two more conference championships today, men's and women's track.  That is five for the year with the softball team having a realistic opportunity for the sixth.  Of course, even though we will have two or three more championships than any other school, we again won't win the farcical conference "all-sports" trophy. Farcical because they do not really count all sports and they devalue winning championships while rewarding third and fourth place mediocrity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version