YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Other Sports

<< < (2/3) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: Double ET on April 26, 2021, 02:44:04 PM ---

Therefore, I am at times surprised that our non-football sports have actually been very competitive (except for Women soccer) although the operations of our athletic department are still locked into the last century.

--- End quote ---
I'm often surprised at how often we introduce championship teams during quarter breaks at football games because that is the largest gathering place to acknowledge outstanding performance.  Funny, championship teams draw dozens and terrible football teams draw thousands.
Kuddos to the players and coaches for each of these programs (even women's soccer!)

Wick250:
Add another Olympic sport championship.  The women's golf team won the Horizon League by 15 strokes. That is three championships so far this academic year with more probably coming.

guinpen:
Congrats to all these athletics and coaches.

So why are these sports able to recruit and convince athletes to come to YSU? Not trying to over simplify things but it is all relative and these sports are competing at a high level.

go guins:
Fine fine fine, but what are we going to do with the damn women's soccer program?!?!?!?  (kidding of course)
All of recruiting it the interaction between the head coach and the prospect and their family.  We seem to have a bunch of "other" sport coaches that can recruit.  Bo couldn't, or at least didn't want to, JT could and did.  It's all about the coach.

Penquin68:
I agree with the previous post about soccer.  It has been weak for a long time with multiple coaches. I am sure we are not paying the coaches well and supplying much recruiting resources.  But other sports are doing much better at probably similar support.  And the facilities are great compared to baseball at 30 minutes from campus at a nice venue, but still 30 minutes from campus for games or practice. Not ideal. We need someone who will be effective in coaching and more importantly recruiting in soccer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version