YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Season over

<< < (5/5)

go guins:

--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on April 19, 2021, 09:16:13 AM ---  This was 100% a DP call.  Strollo actually wanted to play the game and Tressel let DP make the call.  Phillips knew without McLaughlin, Waid, and Lenton all injured, this would likely be a rout.  Also several players last week went into the portal, including cornerback Dee Ford.

Move was weak, especially when DP said that he would only do this if he lost a starting unit to Covid.  Finances not an issue at all with a home game.  Had this been a scheduled road game, then maybe a factor.

--- End quote ---
First, you know who tells me it was definitely not about the money?  EVERYBODY!  Doesn't matter who or want the decision it was NEVER ABOUT THE MONEY!  (it's always the money)
Second, as I read this blog for years, I'm told over and over the decision maker is Strollo.  For the first time, somebody admits that Tressel made the important decision, not Strollo.  I've know for years this has always been true, nice to have confirmation.

Double ET:
Article from Tribune/Vindy on cancellation of the last game:

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/sport-columns/2021/04/phillips-penguins-face-many-challenges/

IAA Fan:
Guys, you can only applaud the decision. I can understand why it was canceled and I can also understand why we should have "finished what we started".  We should have never played a snap to begin with. I have not considered this a real season from the start. The most frustrating thing? Here we (FCS/I-AA) are the only DI football in town and the division still cannot get any real TV coverage. Make sure to get your vaccinations. I am hearing schools have had to submit plans to factor in masks and testing into next season.

As to the "decision maker" Tressel is just as much "in hiding" from the NCAA as any former coach. This risk to the university has just been too great for him to even be suspected of athletic involvment. Just because he is the President does not mean the NCAA does not have him under a scope. Until quite recently, he stayed well away from athletics. Now that his sanctions are over he can be as involved as any other university president. Which can be quite a bit. Involvement as the president can be far more impactful. Facilities, athletically favorable curriculum and such are so important.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version