YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Future of YSU sports

<< < (2/8) > >>

Double ET:
This is coming out of Akron.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200520/university-of-akron-invoking-contract-clause-to-allow-for-ldquoimmediaterdquo-layoffs-faculty-union-says?fbclid=IwAR3962lwLVX7yBcOPE5trmbNmyIqImr8Dg7zvsbBXhOhpg_avBdzXHuE3B0

With all these cuts to the academic division, how could UA justify spending all the $$ to stay in 1-A?

Wick250:
If newspaper accounts are accurate, Akron had about 30k students in 2010.  This past year that figure dropped to about 19k.  During that same span, YSU probably dropped from about 13.5k to about 12k.  Yet Akron continued to spend like the proverbial drunken sailor on both academic programs and athletics.  They must now confront financial reality.  They are getting exactly what they deserve.

Nobody knows what the long term ramifications of this pandemic will be for YSU or any American university. We will suffer but we are much better positioned than quite a few of our rivals in Ohio and the Midwest.

YSUGO:
Who cares what Akron does? For the last 10 years or more some are hoping to see there demise.  I over that stuff about being in the MAC or hoping our neighbors fail to the west of us.  We blew our chances years ago and maybe it’s a blessing we never moved up.  I wonder what would have happened if Mickey Monus’s paper empire would have lasted longer if he could have got us their with his $$$.   Heck we could to D2. Who knows!

go guins:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on May 21, 2020, 08:34:39 PM ---Who cares what Akron does? For the last 10 years or more some are hoping to see there demise.  I over that stuff about being in the MAC or hoping our neighbors fail to the west of us.  We blew our chances years ago and maybe it’s a blessing we never moved up.  I wonder what would have happened if Mickey Monus’s paper empire would have lasted longer if he could have got us their with his $$$.   Heck we could to D2. Who knows!

--- End quote ---
Monus was never going to be the salvation, that's for sure.  D2 isn't either.  My vote is OVC, less travel, more rivalries, and all sports under one umbrella which also aids rivalries and attendance.

YSUGO:
I would take the OVC in a heartbeat!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version