Author Topic: YSU athletic budget revenue and expenses article Cleveland.com  (Read 5190 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Interesting information, Cleveland.com has been looking at all the public schools.  It looks like Students subsidies equal -about 70% of revenue.  I haven’t seen where the other schools are at.  I think we are better than some of the MAC schools.

https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2019/03/how-youngstown-state-raised-and-spent-money-on-sports-in-2017-2018.html
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU athletic budget revenue and expenses article Cleveland.com
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 10:17:08 AM »
Interesting information, Cleveland.com has been looking at all the public schools.  It looks like Students subsidies equal -about 70% of revenue.  I haven’t seen where the other schools are at.  I think we are better than some of the MAC schools.

https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/2019/03/how-youngstown-state-raised-and-spent-money-on-sports-in-2017-2018.html
For the MAC diehards among us, scroll down and look at the Toledo numbers.  Want any of that?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:09:48 PM »
You should be impressed by how much we accomplish with 25% to 50% of the budget and amount removed from student fees ...compared to these other schools.

YSU = $16m budget, $11m from student fees (7 m sports + 10 w sports = 17)

Kent = $30m budget, $21m from student fees (7 m sports + 10 w sports = 17)

Akron = $35m budget, $25m from student fees (8 m sports + 11 w sports = 19)

Huge difference.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »
The typical college sports fan in Florida or Texas or California looks upon YSU and the MAC schools in exactly the same way; namely mid-major programs that can not compete with the big boys.  We accept that situation and have a reasonable athletic budget.  MAC schools squander multiple millions each year striving for national respect that they will never attain.  Our neighbors need to look up Einstein's quote about the definition of insanity. :o

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
The typical college sports fan in Florida or Texas or California looks upon YSU and the MAC schools in exactly the same way; namely mid-major programs that can not compete with the big boys.  We accept that situation and have a reasonable athletic budget.  MAC schools squander multiple millions each year striving for national respect that they will never attain.  Our neighbors need to look up Einstein's quote about the definition of insanity. :o
What we need is NOT to move to 1A football but to have a 1AA basketball level as well!  MAC schools are clearly delusional in the athletic goals.  Would love to have Ohio MAC schools drop back to 1AA and form a league with us in "all" sports. Good-bye MVFC and Horizon leagues!  I'm too old to ever see such a thing, but if I were 4 years old, that would probably still be true!
Anybody attend FB practice?  How is Waid doing?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »

That’s certainly the way power 5 schools view them. Last time we played Pitt Narduzzi called YSU “basically like playing a good MAC team” P5 coaches get it they FCS (true FCS not limited scholly) And G5 teams are equally irrelevant to the big picture of college football.