YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU 75-73 over Oakland

<< < (2/3) > >>

mudclods:
I was really hoping we could get a signature win this year.  It was the type of game that a good team finds a way to win, and we needed that.  Down 7 with 2:30 to go and to finish on a 9-0 run to beat Oakland is impressive.  Despite getting killed on the glass last night, YSU did a great job turning Oakland over, which kept us in the game.  We also played pretty smart and didn't turn the ball over.

It's great to see Cam playing so well again...sure didn't want  to see him end his YSU career like it was going at times early in the year.  He's playing with confidence and looks like he's having fun.  He's been damn near perfect from the foul line against the league shooting 30-32 and had that one rim out last night.

Covington was amazing last night.  He had a steal, took a charge, and the block at the end before the winning bucket.  He impresses me so much in his press conferences...seems very intelligent and speaks so well.  It's hard to believe he's a freshman.  Going to be fun watch him progress in the coming years.

YSU's biggest weakness besides defense for the most part seems to be finishing strong inside and converting fast breaks.  I feel we've missed so many opportunities this year in both categories that has cost us a few games this year.  More often than not we're winning the turnover and rebounding battle, but not converting.

YSU really has a great opportunity now to finish the regular season strong with home games against Detroit and Cleveland State along with the road game against N. Kentucky, which will be tough.  Would be tremendous to end the regular season winning 4 of 5 to head into the conference. 

I think we'll see if YSU is making progress if we can take care of business Friday night against Detroit.  Will probably be favored for only the 2nd time this year.  We should have never lost in Detroit and then followed that up with a tough loss at Wright State that we played well enough to win.  I thought that was a key juncture early in league play that started the tide going the other way.  We had opportunity to be at least 4-2 and a good opportunity at 5-1, but was instead 3-3 and lost all the momentum we had after starting 3-0. 

go guins:

--- Quote from: mudclods on February 15, 2018, 12:29:21 PM ---I was really hoping we could get a signature win this year.  It was the type of game that a good team finds a way to win, and we needed that.  Down 7 with 2:30 to go and to finish on a 9-0 run to beat Oakland is impressive.  Despite getting killed on the glass last night, YSU did a great job turning Oakland over, which kept us in the game.  We also played pretty smart and didn't turn the ball over.

--- End quote ---
Your notes are all X's and O's and basketball.  Comments that are pretty much spot on, but I think you are missing the point.  Being 3-3 at a point vs 4-2 or even 5-1 is relatively unimportant.  What is important is learning how coach wants to play, learning the system, playing the right way, and bring the young kids into 1-A MBB.  Those goals are being accomplished.  Obviously wins are an important measure of progress, but not the only way.  Progress this season will be measured in wins over the next 2 or 3 seasons! 

YsuPride:
Great game. I love the enthusiasm of these kids and the coach. Give the new coach sometime. We would have folded last year any game like this. It seems getting better as the season goes on as they should. We need some more big players for next year hopefully. I think next year we'll see a 16 to 18 win season. Hopefully we surprise everyone come tournament time this year though

IAA Fan:
I feel that I must point out that our success came when we did not play laker ball, but rather when we went back and let Cam drive. We have some decisions to make in terms of style. I agree with you Go, now that we have "pulled the plug" and went with Calhoun, you really want him to install his style at 100%. However, I have notice that so many of these young guys have matured their individual game & if we can pick up just one more player with above average defensive skills, we can win in the conference play a bit more half court control again. However, how many times have we said that over the past 10-years? Again, some big decisions to make.

ucfpengbuck:
Great points mudclod.   I think the area that we need to improve in going forward is some interior presence.   We need a rim protector and on offense some one who is a threat that teams might have bring a double which open up the perimeter.  Naz is playing his ass off down there but we need some more beef.

Do you think Oakland hates us between last night and last season in the tournament ?  Hopefully coach can get two more league wins to get to eight.   Slocum's best year was 10 in his 12 years as coach.   One could argue that the league is easier than years past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version