YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU 75-73 over Oakland

<< < (3/3)

mudclods:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on February 15, 2018, 05:04:56 PM ---Great points mudclod.   I think the area that we need to improve in going forward is some interior presence.   We need a rim protector and on offense some one who is a threat that teams might have bring a double which open up the perimeter.  Naz is playing his a$$ off down there but we need some more beef.

Do you think Oakland hates us between last night and last season in the tournament ?  Hopefully coach can get two more league wins to get to eight.   Slocum's best year was 10 in his 12 years as coach.   One could argue that the league is easier than years past.

--- End quote ---

Also, there were only 16 games for several of Slocum's seasons. 

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 15, 2018, 02:02:19 PM ---I feel that I must point out that our success came when we did not play laker ball, but rather when we went back and let Cam drive. We have some decisions to make in terms of style. I agree with you Go, now that we have "pulled the plug" and went with Calhoun, you really want him to install his style at 100%. However, I have notice that so many of these young guys have matured their individual game & if we can pick up just one more player with above average defensive skills, we can win in the conference play a bit more half court control again. However, how many times have we said that over the past 10-years? Again, some big decisions to make.

--- End quote ---
This issue in college ball (ANY sport) is you are also going to have losses.  Cam is done, so picking up "just one more player with above average defensive skills" you have lost a ton on offense.  I'm not sure what "did not play laker ball" means, but driving to the basket was always part of the Calhoun offensive plan.

go guins:
With a second to go both the men and women's BB teams were in trouble. 
Great finished kids! 

IAA Fan:
To me, Laker ball is producing more opportunities to score, much of the time at the expense of second-chance opportunities. It works well when you have a team with lower percentage shooters. Our conference is more defensive-minded, but with the school losses, that is not as much the case the last couple years. We are winning when we drive to the basket with our high % shooters (Cam) & slowing down a bit before we set for defense.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 16, 2018, 09:31:29 AM ---To me, Laker ball is producing more opportunities to score, much of the time at the expense of second-chance opportunities. It works well when you have a team with lower percentage shooters. Our conference is more defensive-minded, but with the school losses, that is not as much the case the last couple years. We are winning when we drive to the basket with our high % shooters (Cam) & slowing down a bit before we set for defense.

--- End quote ---
Big issue with this team is still the lack of Santiago.  In a post game presser, Jarrod talked about Cam and the issues he has had learning to be a playmaker as well as scorer.  This second half of the season would have been very interesting with Francisco!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version