Author Topic: Robert Morris  (Read 31822 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Morris
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »
Wells took 2 big shots early. Mays to lead the way. Right side of the line needs a lot of work. Getting pushed around.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
Justus Reed is a player. Best pass rusher on this team by far.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »
Wells took 2 big shots early. Mays to lead the way. Right side of the line needs a lot of work. Getting pushed around.
Davis was warming up at the sideline as QB....Taking snaps from starting center and throwing the ball. He must be backup to Mays

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »
The stadium sounds like a library.  No amotsphere.

There was good noise in my neck of the woods
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2017, 11:03:55 PM »
They don't take the sound feed properly.  Morons run the coverage and they don't realize the crowd noise is part of the game.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:54:03 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 11:52:54 PM »
Everybody wanted Mayes you got him.

Only I-AA Fan. That's his boy.

did a damn good job. How can you even think of complaining? Tell me that you did not have confidence he was going to win this game? That is your back-up & he had never even thrown a TD pass before today. Cut the guy some slack. His second series was a struggle, then he stepped up. His vision is very good, mobility above average for a drop-back. Passing ability is excellent, but consistency is not there and this why he is a back-up. If it never comes he may never be more than a back-up ...but I think it will be there. He was 13 of 16 for 150 & hit 9 different receivers. Not something we are accustomed to seeing from our reserves in the past. Right now we have to make some tough decisions at TB & that is a more pressing issue. Teams do not fear our ground attack & this puts more pressure on the QB.

I liked that 2 TE set Monty used on that drive that started in the 3rd & rolled into the 4th-quarter. Mays hit Kuhn over the top & then went back to Rader for the TD. I like Rader, but Shane  is a darn good TE (probably our best) and we need to get him more involved. Overall I was very happy with today's game. We pressured without a safety today ...two standouts that I saw today are Chapman and Braswell.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:13:20 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Grapestreet

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2017, 08:11:24 AM »
IAA are you watching the game or the disney channel. We will be fine (Bo Knows). I think we all can agree there were concerns(@Pitt) with all aspects of the game. Robert Morris isn't Pitt by a long shot. I did see some improvements. The TB's will be fine with MCCASTER and TURNER with the help of the other backs ( JOE, LONDON, ETC) the only TB that I know of that could run without a lineman blocking was Earl Campbell and he is sitting in Canton, OH.  I know we have this forum to discuss the best football team in America(my opinion) and if you don't know who that is let me be the first to tell you.....Its the YOUNGSTOWN STATE PENGUINS and if you don't share the same feelings get off this forum. ######GOGUINS!!!!!!!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »
IAA are you watching the game or the disney channel. We will be fine (Bo Knows). I think we all can agree there were concerns(@Pitt) with all aspects of the game. Robert Morris isn't Pitt by a long shot. I did see some improvements. The TB's will be fine with MCCASTER and TURNER with the help of the other backs ( JOE, LONDON, ETC) the only TB that I know of that could run without a lineman blocking was Earl Campbell and he is sitting in Canton, OH.  I know we have this forum to discuss the best football team in America(my opinion) and if you don't know who that is let me be the first to tell you.....Its the YOUNGSTOWN STATE PENGUINS and if you don't share the same feelings get off this forum. ######GOGUINS!!!!!!!!!

Who does not share the same feelings? So are you saying the line is not opening holes, it is a good topic. I also think they are more geared to QB protection. To me, Turner is a more natural TB, with McCaster more of a FB.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
From what I saw in the Pitt game, I think the pass protection was better than the rushing capabilities of the line, at least in the first half. Our oline really wore Pitt down in the second half and started getting bigger holes for our RBs. Now, I didn't see hardly any of the Robert Morris game despite my best attempts due to poor ESPN 3 feed, so my observations on the line are from one game. But it is a pretty good unit. Some improvement could be made, but I don't think it is a real weakness right now. Just need to clean up the ability to run block and we will be fine.

For those who were at the game, was beer being served and if so how much?

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
Nevermind, I just saw Buddy's post about beer prices in the other thread... disregard that question.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »
You know if you think about it, we are closer to the point of being a team that can reload than we ever were with Wolf at the helm. Despite weaknesses, both coordinators can sub with a certain level of confidence we have not seen since Heacock (prior to his last couple of years). It is nice to see new players step "in" and contribute, as opposed to being forced to step "up".
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:06:37 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2017, 10:18:50 AM »
You know if you think about it, we are closer to the point of being a team that can reload than we ever were with Wolf at the helm. Despite weaknesses, both coordinators can sub with a certain level of confidence we have not seen since Heacock (prior to his last couple of years). It is nice to see new players step "in" and contribute, as opposed to being forced to step "up".

That is a good point. Thinking about this I will say I agree that depth is better. I think Pelini was being honest when he said he thought the depth was very improved. It showed against Pitt if you think about it. Most FCS teams do worse in the second half (due to depth and conditioning ect). We did BETTER the second half.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
DB's still concern me. Especially since we haven't seen a good passing team yet. Thompson (Boardman kid) and Ragland are solid in backing up at DT. Really like both of them.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »
We will have trouble with SDSU passing game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »

Who does not share the same feelings? So are you saying the line is not opening holes, it is a good topic. I also think they are more geared to QB protection. To me, Turner is a more natural TB, with McCaster more of a FB.
1AA you claim Mays (AKA "1AA's manmance") that his "Passing ability is excellent,"  You should come up from Columbus and watch the games sometimes.  He can't throw 10 yards down field and his only TD every was a great leaping catch by Rader (2nd best catch of his life!)  I don't hate Mays, but your blind claims of his passing ability is over the top. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!