Author Topic: 2018 Football Committement  (Read 39305 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Football Committement
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2017, 08:19:43 PM »
Ohio State Buckeye TE Kierre Hawkins is transferring to YSU. From Maple Heights. 4 star recruit out of high school and ranked a top 15 TE in the country. He and Durkin should make a nice receiving duo at TE. Big get for the Guins.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:05:34 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
Ohio State Buckeye TE Kierre Hawkins is transferring to YSU. From Maple Heights. 4 star recruit out of high school and ranked a top 15 TE in the country. He and Durkin should make a nice receiving duo at TE. Big get for the Guins.
was mostly a RB in HS, so should be able to fill the Shane Kuhn roll of FB on short yardage if needed too!
not sure I want him or Durkin at TE.  I'm more toward Durkin at TE and Hawkins at WR.  6-4 225 makes a pretty tough matchup for CBs who are 5-9 185. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
was mostly a RB in HS, so should be able to fill the Shane Kuhn roll of FB on short yardage if needed too!
not sure I want him or Durkin at TE.  I'm more toward Durkin at TE and Hawkins at WR.  6-4 225 makes a pretty tough matchup for CBs who are 5-9 185.

No. He's a TE. He's a big strong kid trust me. I've talked to some people down in Columbus who were excited to see him. Explosive athlete. Just got buried on the depth chart. Had some academic issues. He will shine here.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »

No. He's a TE. He's a big strong kid trust me. I've talked to some people down in Columbus who were excited to see him. Explosive athlete. Just got buried on the depth chart. Had some academic issues. He will shine here.
"Had some academic issues. He will shine here."
Academic issues always a concern, and do you think YSU is that much easier than OSU?  I don't.
Big and strong doesn't mean he can't play slot/WR. When Belichick had Hernandez and Gronkowski, he played both.  Going back a way I know, but Ozzy Newsome was a WR in Alabama before a Hall of Fame career at TE.  You work with what you have, and my money is on Durking and Hawkins over cluster of underachievers at WR.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2017, 12:10:57 PM »
YSU is by far easier academically than OSU. No question. I'm just saying he's going to be a TE. That's a good duo along with Durkin. 2 kids with D1 pedigree.

Heard some rumblings about some transfer QB candidates but that wont come to fruition until later closer to spring ball.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
 Chief is correct, YSU much easier academically than OSU.  It's a fact, not a slam on YSU.  Unless you play football or basketball, OSU is one of the toughest schools in the country to get into...  Excluding Ivy League.   Considering we lost three tight ends to graduation, this is a good get for Pelini.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
Another commit.

OL Devon Robinson from Monroe College. 6-6, 280 pounds. Had offers from Temple, Miami, Rutgers, Illinois coming out of high school in NJ.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »
You guys smoking dope again?
While YSU is working to grow enrollment and therefore taking most of what they get, OSU is not exceptionally high at all
OSU acceptance rate 49%
Texas 39%
Michigan acceptance rate 28%
Southern California 17%
Duke 9%  YES 9%!
And to be fair, Harvard 6%

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2017, 02:22:03 PM »
While YSU is working to grow enrollment and therefore taking most of what they get, OSU is not exceptionally high at all
OSU acceptance rate 49%
Texas 39%
Southern California 17%
Duke 9%  YES 9%!

And YSU is 84%.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
OSU acceptance rate 49%
Texas 39%
Southern California 17%
Duke 9%  YES 9%!

And YSU is 84%.
FAN said "Unless you play football or basketball, OSU is one of the toughest schools in the country to get into...  Excluding Ivy League."  I challenged him siting numerous examples of schools MUCH harder to get into.  I acknowledged YSU was working to grow enrollment. (gaining under Tressel for the first time in a decade) 
I stand by my challenge, and dispute what FAN said.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
Acceptance has nothing to do with how the accedemic program is. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »
It doesn't have "everything" to do with the academic program, but I don't think "nothing" is appropriate either.  There seems to be a strong correlation between better, well respected academic programs, and acceptance rates.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
It doesn't have "everything" to do with the academic program, but I don't think "nothing" is appropriate either.  There seems to be a strong correlation between better, well respected academic programs, and acceptance rates.

Okay so by what you just said and OSU being at 49% and YSU at 84% would prove our point in saying that realistically, the harder school academic wise is in Columbus.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »

Okay so by what you just said and OSU being at 49% and YSU at 84% would prove our point in saying that realistically, the harder school academic wise is in Columbus.
the 50-80 acceptance range covers almost all schools.  the elite academic schools are significantly below 50%
BTW, the 84% number was 2014, the 2016 rate for YSU is 69%  The current freshman class grew 5.5% AND has the highest ACT scores in school history, so YSU, after years of mediocre leadership, is responding to new, inspired leadership, but I'd be OK with thinking not all programs are on a par with other major schools.  The budget and long range financial planning and endowment management are also responding under JT's leadership. 
I would say this regarding YSU and OSU, I could make the argument that the football program alone could account for most of the increased interest in attending OSU.  But it is also reasonable to say that the previous 10-20 years prior to Tressel's return, were years of serious neglect and decline in all facets of YSU.  Academics would have to be included in that decline.   Endowment and budget factors are VERY important to us all, and certainly YSU.  Tressel is not a cure-all, but he sure beats the sh** of of his immediate few predecessors!  I'm not about to accept the premise that YSU is far easier than OSU. But I can accept the resources and commitment to educational excellence at OSU has exceeded what YSU has been until we started back. 
My family (wife, daughter son, and I) has degrees from YSU KSU BGSU and OSU.  My clear best educational institution of the bunch? BGSU

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2017, 03:55:22 PM »
Chief is correct, YSU much easier academically than OSU.  It's a fact, not a slam on YSU.  Unless you play football or basketball, OSU is one of the toughest schools in the country to get into...  Excluding Ivy League.   Considering we lost three tight ends to graduation, this is a good get for Pelini.

Cannot agree there at all. Larger schools (let alone OSU, the nation's largest) have an enormous number of General Studies curriculum and more lower intensity (academically speaking) degrees that a smaller school like YSU could absolutely not afford. University requirements to enter YSU are identical to OSU, where is can vary is within a given school. For example my daughter was accepted to OSU while still a senior at JFK, after she took her exams and graduated, the School of Engineering - Mechanical specialization offered her as well. My recommendation was to take it and run, as she can always change majors later, but unless she can keep a 3.3 or above GPA she will not be accepted as a Junior. She did change to ChemE. The point is, that it is tough to get into some schools at OSU, but anyone can get into the university, as long as you meet state guidelines and the depth of curriculum is so much more than YSU could ever hope to offer; OSU has the cash. A player at OSU can go 3-years before they have to declare. Until just the past few years YSu could only afford reading writing and arithmetic. In short, most larger schools are easier than small ones.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:35:26 AM by IAA Fan »